photo_phil is off-line
29 January 2014 11:59
photo_phil
Photographer
photo_phil
Lincolnshire
Coningsby

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a Nikon D800 or D800e and looking for peoples experiences and reviews. 

Are they as good as the magazines suggest?
D800 or D800e?

Any and all comments welcome. 

Phil

Pict is off-line
29 January 2014 13:05
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Kent
Rochester

I have 2. They are great if handled correctly. Large file sizes will probably mean a computer upgrade.
All in all depends on the work you do as to whether it's the best model

OldMaster is off-line
29 January 2014 13:24
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

I keep thinking about going the D800 route. My reasoning is this, of course they are Nikon pro body quality and I like a heavy body with a grip.

The D800/800E (either model) are really two cameras. In DX mode they are still a stonking 16+mp and while Nikon seem to keep introducing higher resolution chips with entry level now at 24mp whilst the D4 is 16.7mp at least at 36mp you know you will frankly never need any more with 24" prints straight out of camera at around 300ppi.

It was an odd model really, whilst all the other models seemed unsure of what resolution they should be, all of a sudden Nikon hit us with this odd ball. They even managed to keep noise down at high iso despite this resolution.

As for the "E" version without AA filter this is really up to you, a fraction more detail which may be of value in landscape or architectural but it is difficult to know how one could want for more..higher burst rate?..better video?.. neither of which are frankly of any interest to me anyway.

As per "myshoot", I doubt you could go far wrong!

Razoir is off-line
30 January 2014 02:37
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

My D800 is great. Very full of functions, it is the first time I have had to read an instruction manual for a while! I plan on getting a D800E in June. This purely for the added detail but then I intend to use it in the studio for specific commercial work.

A much overlooked advantage of the 36Mpix. is that effectively it gives you extra zoom. i.e. you can crop down quite small before you lose printable detail.

What you WILL HAVE TO DO is buy fast cards for it. The cheap and cheerful stuff I used in my D2x and others just can't cope. So budget for several very high speed cards. As it takes both C/F and SDHC and you can set it to write to both cards as back-up, you might feel you need rather a lot of cards.

My computer is coping but come June, that is being replaced as well. So not just down to the cost of the machine. The MB-D12 grip is very nice, if you have huge hands, like me BUT it is very expensive at £295.

Also bear in mind that Nikon's flag-ship machine, the D4 costs roughly the same as two D800's.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

PSN is off-line
30 January 2014 14:14
psn
Photographer

South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Interesting thread thanks guys. I was looking at the same camera and was wondering the same things.

Use a couple of d300's which have been great up to now but time to catch up with spec again.

We do some very detailed product photography so was interested in the resolution and the E model particularly.

Any other comments most welcome

OldMaster is off-line
30 January 2014 14:20
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

I am guessing the E model will produce marginally finer detail. Sure those that own it will post here. reviews indicate that there is a difference but one which on all but the largest print/image sizes can be mostly compensated for with cautious sharpening.

Obviously the chance of moire is higher without an AA filter but again in use apparently hardly ever noticeable but this will depend on your product photography subjects..if it involves patterns/fabrics the E may not be your best choice!

PSN is off-line
30 January 2014 14:53
psn
Photographer

South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Thanks David, yes some jewellery and intricate products, I guessed this would be the case. Anyone have any sample shots on either camera?

John McNairn is off-line
31 January 2014 07:59
Fox2006
Photographer
Fox2006
Tayside
Dundee

I've had one for 18 months now....and they are as good as the mags say...but they are also a tricky camera to use. The matrix metering is different from the D700, its unforgiving if you get things wrong because there's more detail to show up mistakes, you need good lenses as cheap lenses just don't cut it. The increased size in files means you need a higher spec of PC than normal...especially on tethering. The 4fps is slow, normally not a problem but when you do bracketing/HDR at 5 frames then be aware of the lag. To get 36mp pin sharp then camera shake is more crucial and worth doubling up minimum shutter speed.
All in all though...bloody good but be aware.

Erica Von Stein - jealousy does manky things to people.

Barry is off-line
31 January 2014 20:08
Northerner
Photographer

Tyne and Wear

The D600/D610 is also not as bad as many make out - worth considering?

jivago Photographic is off-line
31 January 2014 20:57
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Quote from JeromeRazoir
..... Very full of functions, is.

Why do U want them?

http://www.jivagophoto.com/

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa HannahRoxanne LadyLycan stephieB27
ad360photo Belemboo cgwebster dorrian Essexjohn Gaudinio grahamsphotography keltica lify mghphoto nemesis Stevedphoto stevegosh steveh32 Tricabella
matt