Reminder Secure

How to gain permission to use 'pop songs' in videos ?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
ken george is off-line
08 April 2014 05:44
kgp
Photographer
kgp
Clwyd
N.Wales & Merseyside

Quote from JeromeRazoir
The Performing Rights Society.

Thats who I pay

David Heels is off-line
08 April 2014 08:19
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Kgp,

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay, and what do you use the music for? (What rights are you granted?)

Cheers
Dave

OldMaster is off-line
08 April 2014 13:56
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

I suspect Razoir is right. It used to be the MCPS, "mechanical copyright protection society" but may be they don't exist any more!!

Of course anything over 50 years old and the original is out of copyright in the UK, different in the US where I think it is 100 years, but I guess you are thinking of using something a little more contempory!

David Heels is off-line
08 April 2014 14:44
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Just to clarify and reiterate...

Whatever music you use there are two licences that you need to obtain for each piece:

Publishing licence: from the people who own the copyright to the piece of music i.e. lyrics and composition.

Recording licence: from the people who performed the version of music that you want to use. For example, sound recording copyright exists in a pianist’s recording of one of Beethoven's sonatas.

Old Master
Copyright in music in the UK lasts for 70 years after the death of the composer... but don't forget the musicains, etc, also have to be dead 70 years. So you'd need a very old recording of that sonata before you could use it for free. Perhaps a 78rpm stashed away under your old gramophone.

Dave

Matthew G is off-line
08 April 2014 18:19
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

I don't think anyone has mentioned this... You asked for 'Videos' which I am assuming you mean hard copies.... Your answer is in the UK MSPC - Mechanical Copyright Protection Society.

I just bought a licence for a wedding film of 25 minutes or less for around £7.00. It allows you to use any popular music on up to a certain amount of DVD's.

http://www.prsformusic.com/users/recordedmedia/cdsandvinyl/Pages/LimitedManufactureLicence(LM).aspx

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
09 April 2014 09:01
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

http://www.freestockmusic.com/ and http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/index.html/index.html?genre=Soundtrack are another way to go

Rod Macdonald is online
09 April 2014 12:05
rod_m99
Photographer
rod_m99
Cambridgeshire
Cambridge

http://www.prsformusic.com/users/broadcastandonline/onlinemobile/Pages/default.aspx would appear to be the relevant page for music for videos you want to put online.

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
09 April 2014 12:13
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

I looked at this recently and it seems PRS can issue a licence that would allow you to use music on your own website at just under £200 per annum, subject to limits but it won't open up the potential for Youtube uploads where you have to negotiate directly with the owner of the copyright, Acknowledgement or reference to the owner isn't enough. If someone disputes the copyright YouTube will pull the video anyway while the matter is sorted between the 2 parties (Youtube don't get involved) For me that's the area I'm most interested in!

OldMaster is off-line
10 April 2014 05:10
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Blimey, complicated isn't it!!!

6.Duration of copyright
The 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patents Act states the duration of copyright as;
i.For literary, dramatic, musical or artistic works
70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last remaining author of the work dies.

If the author is unknown, copyright will last for 70 years from end of the calendar year in which the work was created, although if it is made available to the public during that time, (by publication, authorised performance, broadcast, exhibition, etc.), then the duration will be 70 years from the end of the year that the work was first made available.

ii.Sound Recordings and broadcasts
50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was created, or,

if the work is released within that time: 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was first released.

iii.Films
70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last principal director, author or composer dies.

If the work is of unknown authorship: 70 years from end of the calendar year of creation, or if made available to the public in that time, 70 years from the end of the year the film was first made available.

iv.Typographical arrangement of published editions
25 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was first published.

v.Broadcasts and cable programmes
50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the broadcast was made.

vi.Crown Copyright
Crown copyright will exist in works made by an officer of the Crown, this includes items such as legislation and documents and reports produced by government bodies.

Crown Copyright will last for a period of 125 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was made.

If the work was commercially published within 75 years of the end of the calendar year in which it was made, Crown copyright will last for 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which it was published.

vii.Parliamentary Copyright
Parliamentary Copyright will apply to work that is made by or under the direction or control of the House of Commons or the House of Lords and will last until 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was made.

Hope this clears it up!! As posted it looks like you need two licenses or permissions but as it happens all the time there must be a route through it. Soundtracks are used on a daily basis after all?

35 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
blackdahlia5220 Emmaheron hollyrose Inori Michelledefeo1 scarlettfoxett wildchief
ad360photo andygstudios antoinewynn Blancho chopper_images DavidN duncanjames JohnDentonPhoto Jpdo kaz58 keltica Kiboko Ladiesman MIB modelboutique Mph MrT natkins nemesis oscar panda49 philippahh rod_m99 rogedodge rossvincent stevegosh
harbourstudio photo39