Reminder Secure

Am I doing something wrong?

Veronica Thorogood is off-line
27 January 2014 06:02
Ronniex
Model

Essex
Colchester

No agencies seem to be interested in me at all.. What am I doing that's wrong?

Chrissie Red is off-line
27 January 2014 06:32
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I think for mainstream agencies your first hurdle is the height.
So its nothing you are doing wrong or can change.
There may be other options available but I have no idea about them.

I think though that agencies are incredibly selective (which is a good thing and they have every right to be that way), one of the most talented naturally beautiful girls I knew was turned away from agencies - 18 years old 5'11 with the most perfect figure i have ever seen, she was also a natural in front of the camera (which would have helped I guess). So I think - if she got turned down then their standards must be really really high. Just think if they have 100s of people applying a week and 40% of them are in the right "statistics with age/height and weight" then unless somebody really really really special turns up out with those stats then chances are 99% of girls are told they are not suitable.

Have you tried walk ins? thats what my friend done, she spent a couple of days in London and basically visited all the best agencies in town. I would say thats a more proactive approach than sending pictures over email. Least then they can see you properly and see what sort of personality you have.

KHV is off-line
27 January 2014 07:46
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

Yes height or lack of it will be a problem.  Nobody is going to seriously recruit you for fashion work.

You are just perfect for glamour, and there are a few good glamour agencies in London which you should approach for an interview.

Scott

OldMaster is off-line
27 January 2014 08:16
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Agree with the above plus your portfolio needs considerable expansion before you could even consider charging for your services.

You have age on you side. Don't bother with agencies. The "top" fashion ones are very unlikely to be interested and the majority of the rest are in it to line their pockets. The chances of them bothering to get you work is minimal.

Keep putting up available for work on the casting calls. Do as many TF/CD shoots as you need to get variety in your port and hopefully at some stage you will be able to start charging. You are probably aware that there is some competition at the levels you advertise. I am not encouraging you to work beyond the levels you are happy with but in truth, particularly on PS, most of the models have to do nude to earn money..or crass cliché "magazine" style glamour!

But good luck...enthusiasm, keeping at it and being professional in attitude and conduct and you will eventually get results..but it won't happen over night!

Keith Wells is off-lineSilver Member
27 January 2014 09:32
keithpics
Photographer

East Sussex
Brighton

I, too, think you're probably not going to get far with good agencies that would become your main source of work. Going it alone is your best option. To that end, you need a few really good portfolio images and, with all due respect, the present selection on your portfolio is doing you no favours. Get that right and then start marketing yourself as plenty of models on this website do, and you could then build yourself a nice little business.

Paul Jones is off-line
27 January 2014 10:44
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from Ronniex
No agencies seem to be interested in me at all.. What am I doing that's wrong?

What have you done so far with regard to agencies?

Quote from OldMaster
your portfolio needs considerable expansion before you could even consider charging for your services.

Do as many TF/CD shoots as you need to get variety in your port and hopefully at some stage you will be able to start charging.

Why?

Personally, I think her starting portfolio, combined with her 'look' and expressions are a cut above many that I see on here.
There's no reason why she shouldn't be paid.

These are very nice...

Best regards
Paul
www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

Veronica Thorogood is off-line
27 January 2014 11:04
Ronniex
Model

Essex
Colchester

Thank you everyone..
My portfolio at the moment is a working progress, but I didn't think it was that bad compared to some I've seen on here.
I am currently doing lots of TF shoots so I know what I'm doing, but i was just wondering why no agencies are interested.
Also I always understood height is a big thing.
Paul, thanking for your nice comments. As I said my portfolio is still in working progress so at the moment I am not charging for my shoots and never said I was.
I have been applying to all the agencies online either by email or on the agencies page.

Gerry is off-line
27 January 2014 12:06
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

You have a figure and look more suited to glamour agencies but I am not sure if that is something that appeals to you.

Commercial modelling is the other option - I know some models seem to do quite well at this and others fail miserably - I am sure part of it is down to having the right connections and a go get attitude to separate them from all the others that apply.

I would add that most of the models on the portfolio websites are not signed to any agencies and plenty of them have established viable internet modelling careers - some full time and some part time
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Cody is off-lineSilver Member
29 January 2014 05:47
Cody
Model
Cody
Oxfordshire
bicester

It's not easy... you have to keep trying, there is so much competition. Commercial agencies will want to see a good varied portfolio of images that they can use so keep trying and do some more tfp/ pay photographers for commercial shots or glamour if you prefer

rmsoansphotography is off-line
03 February 2014 06:33
digimarx
Photographer

London

I reckon your portfolio needs more photos plus you need to go to the agency personally see if that approach bears some fruits. It's because they can't see you over an email to give a proper judgement. I know that some may be a bit far from you, but when you visit London or wherever the agency is based, pop in to see if they're interested

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
lilkim18x lynnesel Sammi_1985 toxicinnocence VictoriaClaire wildchief Winterlilly
Anderson78 BOZZ Brian2008 diphoto djb1 dorrian firsttake geoffmarchant jimbob Kjoservices KosupureUK MAMAMIYA markeos50d Oberonfoto philippahh pierre poah rscott360 skymouse stevegosh StuartCollinsPhoto Studio1
photo39