Reminder Secure

Elinchrom Quadra Ranger - does anyone use this setup for both studio and outdoor shoots

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
26 January 2014 11:54
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Quote from Andy_B
^^^[ While a change to the control unit/battery charger is fair game when a new battery technology comes along, the necessity to have interconnection leads/heads modified is unexpected and seems poorly thought out. Makes 'magpie1's suggestion to mix and match new and old units more difficult to follow.]

Worked fine, for me. The units have to be very old before a lot of things have to be changed, so I had an 'old' pack that worked fine with Li batteries, the leads were ok and the heads only cost £25 ea to make them compatible with either Lead or Li.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
26 January 2014 12:01
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

OK - thanks Magpie1... better than I thought.

Despite the occasional grumbles I do completely rate the system. For this size/price, I don't think there's anything else that touches it.

Dave Beasley is off-line
26 January 2014 13:55
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Thanks for all the responses to this post. I think I'll take up Elinchrom/dealers offer of a 24hr/weekend loan of the outfit and see how it goes.

Dave

HowardJ is off-line
26 January 2014 16:58
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from magpie1

Worked fine, for me. The units have to be very old before a lot of things have to be changed, so I had an 'old' pack that worked fine with Li batteries, the leads were ok and the heads only cost £25 ea to make them compatible with either Lead or Li.

as far as I understand it's just the first batch of heads that need altering to work with the new batteries. it's £25 a head and there's a page of the flash centre site that tells you how to spot them.

Apparently the fix is to replace a circuit board in the heads that is related to the modelling lamps. You can use a lithium ion battery with an old pack for powering other equipment such as ring flashes.

Jon E is off-line
26 January 2014 18:25
Bayrunner
Photographer
Bayrunner
Devon
Seaton, E Devon.

Quadra is a great bit of kit, and works well indoors or out - I have also seen some quite good video shot using the LED modelling lamps too.

The downside of the 2 head set is that the supplied cables are only 3m long: Elinchrom soon realised this, and introduced 'The Works' set, which has two complete units, and two heads, so you have the option of two single head units well apart, or two heads running off the same pack, and a back up battery available.

The other thing to be careful of is that the heads are not compatible with other Elinchrom attachments, and other than a few produced by Lastolite the range specifically for Quadra is a bit limited: You can get an adaptor, but there is a caveat on the Elinchrom website about heavy attachments being a bit much for the swivel joint below the head.

The Try Before You Buy Scheme is ideal to try it out. Used to offer it ourselves, but having had to buy the kits, and keep them for at least six months, we received no additional incentive to be able to complete on price with those who sell from a laptop in the back bedroom - although we are told the distributor is trying to work something out on this.

HowardJ is off-line
26 January 2014 18:35
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I use the adapter with mine and it works by becoming the part that attaches to the light stand so it takes the weight rather than the head. It's all thick metal and has a locking collar. I've successfully used an octa softbox on it without any problems. There is a small mod you can make to the adapter to use some locking washers instead of the standard smooth ones. I think I read somewhere that the serated locking washers were now standard on the adapter.

Google for elinchrom quadra adapter mod and you'll find pictures and directions for the mod.

CSD Images is off-line
27 January 2014 04:06
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

I use the Quadra along with the Eco Ringflash, and normal Elinchrom modifiers (I've used the 53" Octa on the adaptor with no problem). Great lightweight bit of kit and the ring flash is a cheap way of achieving on axis fill and the ring flash look. The ability to change the power through the trigger is useful when playing hide and seek with the sun outside.

One thing to note unlike the Ranger it's not waterproof so it's probably best to keep it in or near a bag if using it outside.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

13 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
mandymack
brendan chicimages cliffc duncanjames ellessephotography essexgeezer Foxwellphoto James7799 Klp mg ohkan yorkie77