wacom graphics tablets - educate me

HowardJ is off-line
25 January 2014 18:09
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I'm looking to buy a graphics tablet primarily for photo editing. I've been looking at the Wacom Intuos and Bamboo tablets. Other than the size are there any significant differences between the two?

Thanks

Nige Nw is off-lineSilver Member
25 January 2014 18:25
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
Lancashire

Can't help with the comparison or anything to do with intuos but I have found the bamboo fun that I got a few years ago  really great. I only use it as a basic tablet with the supplied pen but I find it so much better than a mouse & would not like to be without it. It does have a few customisable buttons but I have not bothered with the those. The central scroll button is quite useful.

I am not sure if it is the intuos range but I did see a web demo some time back of which allows hand gestures which I guess may be useful for really heavy editors but to others I am not too sure how useful.

HowardJ is off-line
25 January 2014 18:35
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I'm just comparing the prices of the Bamboo and the Intuos on Amazon and the product details on Wacom's own website. The pics of the Bamboo on the Wacom site don't seem to match with the ones shown on Amazon. The Intuos seems to come out cheaper than the Bamboo yet its a bigger tablet, which sounds odd to me.

TarMoo is off-line
25 January 2014 18:50
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Kent
Chatham

My advice would be to get an Intuos 5 Small.

I have a Intuos 4 Medium, but I think most people would find the Small one is all they need.
Q: How to make a small fortune from photography? A: Start with a large fortune.

Frank Sinnott is off-line
25 January 2014 20:27
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

The Bamboo is no longer made and I have no experience with them. I've got a large intuos 3 of which I love. Though I would really love a Intuos 5 don't know why.

HowardJ is off-line
26 January 2014 04:48
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from frankpht
The Bamboo is no longer made and I have no experience with them. I've got a large intuos 3 of which I love. Though I would really love a Intuos 5 don't know why.

well they still sell something called the bamboo but it's a different design than the thing you see listed on amazon under that name.

Rupert Rudd is off-line
26 January 2014 06:39
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

I have both a Bamboo and an Ituos 4.
I cannot imagine life without my Wacoms for photo editing.

Much prefer the larger Intuos and only use the Bamboo for travelling with a laptop.
Seriously recommend the Intuos but do check you have 15 X 10 inches of desktop space avialable for it on the side of your working hand. The Intuos has some extra features over the Bamboo but this are not that sigmificant, I don't use them.
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

Frank Sinnott is off-line
26 January 2014 09:20
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

Quote from HowardJ
well they still sell something called the bamboo but it's a different design than the thing you see listed on amazon under that name.

Just checked myself and you're right but I don't think the Bamboo tablet is an editing tool  as was.   if I were you I'd be careful on what you buy.  You can pick up an old bamdoo for editing but the Intuos small tablets are reasonable prices.   I'd go for one of them.

theperfectgentleman is off-line
26 January 2014 17:26
theperfectgentleman
Photographer
theperfectgentleman
Essex
Chelmsford

I have two bamboo tablets that I use with both my desktop and laptop for photo editing plus everything else,
don't use a mouse for anything.

HowardJ is off-line
26 January 2014 17:44
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from theperfectgentleman
I have two bamboo tablets that I use with both my desktop and laptop for photo editing plus everything else,
don't use a mouse for anything.

Are yours the old style bamboo or the new bamboo touch pad type?

It looks like they've reused the bamboo name for a different product now. see the shop section on Wacom.com to see what I mean.

11 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Kaylie mandymack
duncanjames ellessephotography joolsy nemesis si_mo southernsnapper SteveSJS55 Stoker whitepython