Reminder Secure

Havn't logged in to this site in a while now i see why it seems it has died a death ?

This thread is being watched by 2 people
Gerry is off-line
22 January 2014 16:35
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Anyway, I am sure this is all interesting but most of the reasons given here may go to explain why its quiet on the forums but as most models don't go anywhere near the forums, it doesn't really explain their actions.

It is well known that any glamour model needs to have a portfolio on PS and most will have and a number probably get the bulk of their work on here. That all changes for art nude and fashion models - those that establish portfolios seldom use them and source most of their work from one or the other of the two main competitors.

They mostly don't give a crap about FPI's, recent image uploads and the forums. They care about whether there are sufficient serious approaches for work in their genres. Most of the art nude and fashion models I have worked with either shut down or abandoned their ports because of unsuitable or unsavoury approaches from chancer photographers. They exist on all sites but unfortunately PS's success for glamour has had a negative effect on art nude and fashion models. It has always been a problem but now there is a major UK competitor, some people are able to easily choose where they feel comfortable getting their work.

Most models are interested in paid work, within their levels and quality expectations. Anything else is pretty irrelevant and they will actively use those sites that provide this for them. Where there are models, there will be photographers so to me it is why are the models not so active that is the most important question.

In a way, I quite like the differences between the sites as you get choice and diversity. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and those that are able to pursue 2 or 3 of the major sites will find enough choice available.
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Rich G is off-line
22 January 2014 16:39
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Kent

I don't understand all the fuss about FPIs. I had one on PP which had been on here for months without receiving a single comment! Likewise, my most commented on image on PS was lambasted when I first submitted it. Surely how we view the success of a site should be on the interaction of it's members and how we can work together to each other's benefit.
HAPPY TO WORK UP TO OPEN WALLET LEVELS

w4pictures is off-line
22 January 2014 16:55
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Quote from PaulManuell
No, 'Google it' IS a smartarse answer from someone with a superior attitude. What would've been wrong with a simple, 'SFW stands for.....' reply instead? What's lazy about asking a question on here and hoping to get the answer rather than googling it? I never realised we had to work for answers to questions that vastly more intelligent members know the answers to. I just assumed they'd be more than happy to share their knowledge. Obviously that's less fun for them than telling someone to Google it or making the person asking the question appear even thicker than he/she already is by adding a 'Doh' and a hand slapping the head face in their reply.

Not really. This is the Age of Information and Google has the immediate answer to many questions and, if you try it, I think you'll find that looking things up is not quite the hard work you think it is. If you reckon that's an unwelcome answer, have a look at some of Iconic's early threads!

Paul Thompson is off-linePlatinum Member
22 January 2014 17:08
Biggles485
Photographer
Biggles485
Hampshire
Fareham

Up until a couple of years ago I would shoot two or three models every weekend but started to realise that by saving that money could book a Villa on Cyprus and ship a number of models out to work with, all expenses paid. One Christmas I had ten shoots lined up, only three took place, that was a turning point for me, unreliability and lack of communications.

This year I've booked another Villa with infinity pool, sauna and jacuzzi on Cyprus, I put an early "feeler" casting call out and messaged a couple of models I thought fitted the bill pointing them towards that casting call, one response from a relative new model was that she thought a 100 Euros for a weeks shoot was a rip off!

Seemed to miss the fact the whole package was worth about £1000 to her and that I only shoot for about two hours a day any one / combinations of model(s), on the previous three similar shoots I shot no more than 2000 images each trip in total, such is the heritage of using a Mamiya RZ67!

I agree that money is a factor in the decline, but think that would be models are now realising that to be "Britain's next top model" they might just have to work at it and not just stand in front of a camera and dream! In other words, not as easy as they thought!
When going through Hell don't stop!

www.jonathantennantphotography.co.uk is off-lineSilver Member
22 January 2014 17:51
jonathantennant
Photographer

Surrey
chertsey

I've gone over to PP as this site is dead.

At the SWPP convention most photographers that shoot models use PP exclusively now. I fear Purestorm will go the same way as NetModels has.

J

Chrissie Red is off-line
22 January 2014 17:54
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from Biggles485
Up until a couple of years ago I would shoot two or three models every weekend but started to realise that by saving that money could book a Villa on Cyprus and ship a number of models out to work with, all expenses paid. One Christmas I had ten shoots lined up, only three took place, that was a turning point for me, unreliability and lack of communications. This year I've booked another Villa with infinity pool, sauna and jacuzzi on Cyprus, I put an early "feeler" casting call out and messaged a couple of models I thought fitted the bill pointing them towards that casting call, one response from a relative new model was that she thought a 100 Euros for a weeks shoot was a rip off! Seemed to miss the fact the whole package was worth about £1000 to her and that I only shoot for about two hours a day any one / combinations of model(s), on the previous three similar shoots I shot no more than 2000 images each trip in total, such is the heritage of using a Mamiya RZ67! I agree that money is a factor in the decline, but think that would be models are now realising that to be "Britain's next top model" they might just have to work at it and not just stand in front of a camera and dream! In other words, not as easy as they thought!

See that all sounds great but I would rather be on holiday with a loved one or at home working a full day and being paid for a full day - and many models I know feel the same way as I do. You can't "relax" if you are with a client and I would say 100 euros isn't very much for being away from home for a long period of time. I do think though that quite a few of the photographers see these trips as a way of getting a holiday with some pretty young females rather than to take good pictures which is a shame.

Gerry is off-line
22 January 2014 18:23
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from Chrissie_Red
See that all sounds great but I would rather be on holiday with a loved one or at home working a full day and being paid for a full day - and many models I know feel the same way as I do. You can't "relax" if you are with a client and I would say 100 euros isn't very much for being away from home for a long period of time. I do think though that quite a few of the photographers see these trips as a way of getting a holiday with some pretty young females rather than to take good pictures which is a shame.

Precisely - if someone offered me a 100 Euros to stay away from home or stop me from doing something I want to do for a week I would tell them to shove it. Booking models is a working relationship. If people want to shoot models abroad, fly them there and back for the shoot duration and pay them for that and then they will be interested.

I prefer not to have models around when we are not shooting although I have had to put them up if they travel from afar but it actually puts me off shoting models who are unable to arrive, shoot and go
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

rmsoansphotography is off-line
22 January 2014 19:41
digimarx
Photographer

London

Quote from profilepictures
Moderators here appear moderate to me, and less sinister than elsewhere in at least one instance.

As for failures to reply. Its a fact of forum life.
Your ports looking cool BTW.

I've noticed that the mods can be slightly too heavy handed on some posters. Though I congratulate them for being heavy handed on the scams that appear to go on

ICONIC :P is off-line
22 January 2014 20:01
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

Quote from RupertRudd
I reckon it's all Iconics fault. He used to be here regularly, asking innocent questions, then getting kicked all over the playground. But still stuck his head over the parapet to be shot at again. I admired him for perseverance etc. Then he backed off a bit and Purestorm started to shrivel a bit. So Iconic lets be hearing more from you. Amd Laylarc too. And the model who said "go chew on a fish", before slamming the door behind her. And lets have no more talk of the corrupting FPIs next door. Still prefer Purestorm even tho' the gobby ones have emigrated.

HAHA yes the good old days, heres my 2 pence

The models i was in conversations with are some of the more popular and well known and now only operate from PP and MM so they havnt retired.

the moderators on this site kicked alot of the better known photographers and models off at one point when a certain few left ( and them being good friend with others) lots left like a great continental drift leaving the mainland and crashin into another ( so to speak )

i got several admin warning over the years for silly things that i dont think should even be an issue because i had asked a question and it had caused an argument or because i stood up for myself and even because i had re openned an old unfinished topic so i stopped coming here out of ( i would say fear but only as i cant think of a more fitting word of the top of my noodle) of being permo banned ( couldnt really give a flying Iconic is a naughty person now as its gone to the toilet)

the way ive seen people treated by some of the newer moderators on the forums was sickening and the way the site seems to alow an army of creepy men only here to drool over naked women to pester new members and old members alike to the point that they leave after a couple of days.

pissing purestorm off since 2009

ICONIC :P is off-line
22 January 2014 20:06
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

Quote from PaulManuell
No, 'Google it' IS a smartarse answer from someone with a superior attitude. What would've been wrong with a simple, 'SFW stands for.....' reply instead? What's lazy about asking a question on here and hoping to get the answer rather than googling it? I never realised we had to work for answers to questions that vastly more intelligent members know the answers to. I just assumed they'd be more than happy to share their knowledge. Obviously that's less fun for them than telling someone to Google it or making the person asking the question appear even thicker than he/she already is by adding a 'Doh' and a hand slapping the head face in their reply.

SFW - SAFE FOR WORK
NSFW - NOT SAFE FOR WORK

pissing purestorm off since 2009

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Czechbeauty Sammi_1985
Auctioneer BOBREEVES digitizer ellessephotography funky gordon hantsphotographer jefflynne jpegster keltica lenspoynter MIB mlp mrdl poah RealityImaging smooth_image TinDolls TonyNutley Willjamieson