Reminder Secure

Havn't logged in to this site in a while now i see why it seems it has died a death ?

This thread is being watched by 2 people
Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
30 January 2014 08:33
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I've just seen that a model on there has been getting her images reported for being 'adult', even when they're not.

I had this a few times with lingerie images (which were deemed safe on other sites at the time), and along came the obligatory patronising e-mail complete with warning once several images in a row had been flagged. At least FB just removed images, the patronising email is maddening/unnecessary.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

TarMoo is off-line
30 January 2014 09:22
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Kent
Chatham

I would hope that the management here listens to people who actually book lots of shoots rather than a bunch of forum dinosaurs whose last references were way back in 2012.

I usually book between 40 and 50 models each year for paid shoots. There seem to be a few on here who rarely/never seem to book shoots and as such I don't know why they have any opinion of how busy the site is.
Q: How to make a small fortune from photography? A: Start with a large fortune.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
30 January 2014 09:44
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from tarmoo
I would hope that the management here listens to people who actually book lots of shoots rather than a bunch of forum dinosaurs whose last references were way back in 2012.

I thought for a second you were referring to me, but alas I've done shoots in 2013 (as indicated on my profile) so that's a relief.

QuoteThere seem to be a few on here who rarely/never seem to book shoots and as such I don't know why they have any opinion of how busy the site is.

Perhaps they're paying members unlike a freeloader such as yourself, and in that respect their opinion on the site is worth more than yours regardless of how much you use the site.

When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Anthonygh is off-line
30 January 2014 10:37
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from tarmoo
I would hope that the management here listens to people who actually book lots of shoots rather than a bunch of forum dinosaurs whose last references were way back in 2012. I usually book between 40 and 50 models each year for paid shoots. There seem to be a few on here who rarely/never seem to book shoots and as such I don't know why they have any opinion of how busy the site is.

Not everyone has your level of disposable income which (assuming the average shoot costs around £100 in fees and expenses) would suggest (based on above) you spend at least £4000 p.a. on your hobby. Maybe those who can only afford say one paid shoot a month see things from a different perspective. And of course they might be spending that money via other sites. Or like me, photographing models is not my main photographic interest but I am still consious of the relative merits of the model sites I belong to.

TarMoo is off-line
30 January 2014 11:33
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Kent
Chatham

I am on a few modelling sites and will book models from whichever site the model is most active on. Experience tells me that you will get an immediate reply when sending a PM to a model on their primary site, but it could be days if you contact them on sites they use occasionally.

It does appear that a lot of models who used PS as their primary site are now more active elsewhere. You can tell by the number of recent references they get on each site. PS has never been great for fashion and MM is where most agency standard models hang out. PS used to be where many art nude models got the majority of their work a few years ago, but now PS seems to be a secondary site for a lot of these models. I did a quick check of a very popular model and saw they had 60+ references on PS in the last year, but 140 on another site for the same period. Glamour models have traditionally been the main strength of PS, but even here the advantage of PS is declining. A couple of months ago Samantha Alexandra put up a post about work drying up and yesterday there was another similar post from another glamour model. It does look like glamour models need to market themselves a lot better these days, rather than joining PS and waiting for the shoot requests to roll in.

Marketing via FB seems to be something most of the successful models do. They tend to put up postings for new images or castings on various model sites, bit I rarely see PS mentioned. PS seems to be averse to FB rather than embracing social media as some other sites have done.

There do seem to be a lot of new users joining model sites. I am not sure where they are coming from, but social media may be an influence. PS needs to gain and retain good models if it is to succeed long term. Having features which these users want is key. Also, having a site format and front page which looks as good as possible would help attract new models. Having got new models to sign up, the next task us to make sure they don't promptly leave the site due to having a wave of dodgy shoot offers. Not sorting out this problem means that any major effort to attract new models is going to be wasted.
Q: How to make a small fortune from photography? A: Start with a large fortune.

KatieLou is off-line
30 January 2014 11:49
Katielouxox
Model
Katielouxox
Spain
Ibiza

All I hear from togs is that models mess them around, no show, reply a few times then stop, just generally mess them around. I can't understand why models would turn down work?! They must be bloody crazy!
I have never no showed & am always keen to arrange as many shoots as possible. There are genuine, hard working models out there, it's just finding them. Don't give up

Katie

Neil Anderson is off-line
30 January 2014 12:20
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Do you think the first site to introduce automatic skin-smoothing to uploaded photos will attract more models?
Maybe some robots that comment positively on random photos (although maybe there are already enough 'real' members doing this on sites that are already full of sycophantic philistines).

Why did myspace fade to nothing... not because facebook took all their members, but because when they started losing members they kept on copying facebook. Those who were happy with myspace left because myspace became a very poor imitation of facebook rather than keeping the members who didn't like facebook by building on the myspace strengths (personalisation and band profile/music).

My view of purestorm strengths is that it doesn't have tiny cropped thumbnails, ( and that you have to pay quite a lot of money to have a seemingly infinite portfolio).
I like the way you can glance at a portfolio and immediately get an impression of what a model's profile has to offer. I like the back links to other members photos.
For all it's issues I think the references system here works reasonably well.
The forums here may be quieter but most of the 'lovely hun' comments which ex-members used to post are no loss.
Personally I don't want to connect stuff here with facebook or twitter. If i did want to, I would do it from facebook.

That was a bit of a ramble, but my point is that it would be more useful if people were to list what they like about purestorm so that no-one takes away it's strengths in an effort to modernise. (Personally I hate the USA ness of MM and the retro look of PP)
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Gerry is off-line
30 January 2014 12:34
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

I am not sure canvassing the thoughts of the few who still use PS as their primary model site will ensure it gets its mojo back as a vibrant site.

PS used to be a place where models could obtain decent work from plenty of serious photographers and in particular, it was a place where art nude had a lot of respect.

I am more interested to hear how these models can be encouraged back to use the site. Part of it has to be a consideration of what caused them to leave or use the site less and part has to be why it is they find other sites a better bet.

I really am baffled why people are making so much of a fuss over thumbnails and other site interfaces - eg Facebook and Twitter links. Most models are under 30 and operate their lives around social media. Just because some photographers chose to live in the past - if the site operates that strategy, no models will stay and we will get no further forward.

I assume [hope] PS wants more from the site than making a comfortable forum environment for the old guard to reminisce how good things used to be and how crap it is on those new fangled sites that have successfully nicked all the models
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

30 January 2014 12:41
JohnB
Photographer

I have just checked my inbox & approx 30% of the models are now banned presumably for posting misdemeanours.
I shot on Tuesday with probably the most active adult model around at the moment & she has been banned for b/g reasons.
There will soon be no one left!
Isnt it time to put away the ban-hammer?
John
Three nights ago I was at the disco Man I was doing the bump I was raring to go!!! Nikon & loving it!

" Hibby " is off-line
30 January 2014 13:17
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
Highland
Inverness

Quote from anthonyh
Not everyone has your level of disposable income which (assuming the average shoot costs around £100 in fees and expenses) would suggest (based on above) you spend at least £4000 p.a. on your hobby. Maybe those who can only afford say one paid shoot a month see things from a different perspective. And of course they might be spending that money via other sites. Or like me, photographing models is not my main photographic interest but I am still consious of the relative merits of the model sites I belong to.

Excellent post.

"A technically perfect photograph can be the worlds most boring picture" Andreas Feininger

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Dadshouse12 Kathmoore1 paige_hendrix pinklilly
Add_barkaway Andy_B B_W canonman5D cliffc djb1 ElegantCaptures ellessephotography exfree freddie gkeesuk GlasgowPhotographer JohnDentonPhoto Kjoservices Musicman Nash Njsphotography pierre psn stevegosh timshawphotography TonyNutley wtphotos