Reminder Secure

Havn't logged in to this site in a while now i see why it seems it has died a death ?

This thread is being watched by 2 people
Anthonygh is off-line
25 January 2014 09:30
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from Chrissie_Red
I'm not sure if its less photographers - I actually think its more models, compared to when I started out  - especially those who tour (or maybe I just didn't notice many of them back then). I remember about 3 models who regurlarly toured Scotland (and by regular I mean  2-3 times a year) now there is a model here every other week. So maybe there are more models who are trying to make a living out of it than there was before?

I suspect there are more modes as well.....or girls that have heard that internet modeling is an easy way to earn some spare cash and are trying their luck!

Simon Chan is off-line
25 January 2014 09:40
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

I remember PS use to a have a feature model of the week on its landing page and I get a sense that every models want to be feature model on this site.
Times have changed and the momentum has shifted to a rival site just as Net-Model had shifted to PS a while ago.
Maybe time for a name change? I would like to have seen a video option for members profile.

25 January 2014 09:48
johnlp
Photographer

Quote from Chrissie_Red
I'm not sure if its less photographers - I actually think its more models, compared to when I started out  - especially those who tour (or maybe I just didn't notice many of them back then). I remember about 3 models who regurlarly toured Scotland (and by regular I mean  2-3 times a year) now there is a model here every other week. So maybe there are more models who are trying to make a living out of it than there was before?

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.  There are a number of models who have listened to touring models' experiences and decided that it's a good way to increase their income.  You have to be highly motivated and organised to do it, but with social networking, iphones etc it is easier to do than just 10 years ago.  Recently a touring model cancelled her shoot with me because she hadn't enough bookings to make it worth her while.

The number of models applying for my castings from just three years ago has fallen from about 30+ to 5+.   I just don't think there's the paid work around to keep a large number of part time models interested.

p.s. I like the term "older men", dislike the term "old men".  And yes I qualify, and yes I do spend a lot of money on photography each year, and purely as a hobby.smiley

fitnude is off-line
25 January 2014 13:11
actiongirl
Model

London

I dont think this site has much difference in "traffic" than other sites to be honest. Sites appear busy when people have loads of refs in the space of a short time, often because of a single studio day and many photographers and models all shooting the same day...then weeks go by with nothing being arranged at all. Why is this? Well I always say, if you want something to blame, be a proud Brit and blame the weather! I get many requests for location shoots even now and have to politely decline the happy moments of being photographed with a river bank about to burst behind me, a howling gale shaking the trees, or a wirlwind shooting up over field....I believe the only people really making money in internet modelling are those who shoot from home (no travel expenses, studio expenses) but you cannot obviously do that if you flatshare/houseshare and either lack privacy or space or light...or shoot from studios with clients footing the bills of the studios and full teams. Otherwise its a hobby, which is becoming more and more seasonal. Its climate change...every time you arrange a location shoot there is a storm and you have to cancel, and most likely its been arranged on your day off work so you cannot rearrange soon after, and then, hey presto, your into school holidays and all the public areas completely overrun, if your even lucky enough to find a parking space free to get out to the fresh air! This is a seasonal business, January weather is awful, and everyone is broke after Christmas...other months see everyone busy on ALL the sites...i recall Spring/Summer with all the lovely flowers being busy until September (lovely light) then after that it all tails off and grinds to a hault until the following summer unless you are a studio owner...or dont mind walking around in a beautiful dress trailing in the stinking mud for that glorious "dip-dye effect"

Anthonygh is off-line
25 January 2014 13:17
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

If I was an ambitious 'new model' wondering what site to join and had just seen the FPIs on here and then on Purpleport I know which site I'd opt for at this moment in time.....and it's not this one!

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
25 January 2014 13:18
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from actiongirl
I dont think this site has much difference in "traffic" than other sites to be honest.

I can only assume one of two things:

- you've either not been here long
 - you don't frequent the forums much

This site has suffered regarding traffic in the last 2-3 years, partly because people are finding new ways to promote themselves (FB / Twitter) but also other, newer sites have taken a lot of people away.  Over 2-3 years ago it was common to see the number of people logged in hitting over 1000 users, it rarely seems to get even half that now, and forum titles would easily 'push' off the front page within an hour or two on busy days wheras now there's posts from 4 days ago at the bottom of the list (I have 30 threads visible on the front page).

To anyone who has been here a while (say 4/5 years) and is a fairly active forum user it's blindingly obvious it's a lot more quiet around here.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Jonathan is off-line
25 January 2014 13:50
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Quote from RedChecker
To anyone who has been here a while (say 4/5 years) and is a fairly active forum user it's blindingly obvious it's a lot more quiet around here.

Thank goodness !   There was a time when it was scary to say anything on the forum for fear of bullying.

Sorry if I mis-understood your point though.

In my opinion, a quiet forum does not impinge upon booking models or mean the site is 'inactive' or 'unpopular'. 

Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

Gerry is off-line
25 January 2014 15:12
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from SandyCamel
Thank goodness !   There was a time when it was scary to say anything on the forum for fear of bullying.

Sorry if I mis-understood your point though.

In my opinion, a quiet forum does not impinge upon booking models or mean the site is 'inactive' or 'unpopular'. 

The forums are largely irrelevant for booking models.

The number of long term active models using this site has dwindelled dramatically. How do we know this? Because they are all using one of two other sites and because we speak to them.

It is baffling that people cannot see this as it is so obvious now.
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
25 January 2014 19:16
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

in Newcastle on a Friday night, a pub will be full one minute with drunken screaming girls and guys in miniskirts, then minutes later almost empty because the party has moved. Might be next door, might be down the port. No particular reason, just restlessness and crowd pressure. What's happening in the pub, and which pubs are trendy, probably matters a bit.

Same with model portfolio sites? Maybe someone will barf in the Purple bar and the crowd will come back. Maybe PS will sprout some current web design trends (editable personalised launch page?) and seem like a destination again. Maybe mad cows will fly. And meantime, everyone has an occasional session down the Mayhem.

26 January 2014 04:35
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Quote from cziiki
in Newcastle on a Friday night, a pub will be full one minute with drunken screaming girls and guys in miniskirts,

I never knew Newcastle was that open minded!

Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

15 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chloejade25 scarlettfoxett
Essexjohn jackcalling jayfish kai_kul kimsandman2 Ladiesman manchestertog1 redbaron skymouse stevegosh TinDolls WullieR xan1981