Reminder Secure

You wouldn't believe how much I HATE.....

Chris is off-line
21 January 2014 10:23
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from CSD_Images
Then that's not MS problem, that's Epson's problem for not releasing vetted software. It's not as if they didn't have notice. You had a preview release several months before Win 8 went mainstream. Also Win 8 should be and is compatible with all Win 7 drivers. So if it works under Win 7 then it should under Win 8 unless the software provider didn't follow Windows  or WHQL best practices. With Win 7 both Epson and HP was invited to supply drivers to Microsoft to be released through Windows Update. HP complied for many of it's common and older printers but Epson dragged it's heels (which caused me no end of grief supporting them). The resulted on a lot of people staying on XP saying Win 7 is **** because the drivers don't work. It wasn't just HP/Epson but all first tier manufacturers was invited to make the installation process as painless as possible and to avoid a repeat of Win Vista in which very few companies released stable drivers.

Interesting editorial, some of the comments in it does surprisingly chime with what people have said here:

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-why-i-love-it

You refer to Windows 7, but I wouldn't know, never used it. All I know, I've never had any problems with 98 or XP. It just seems odd to have an up to date computer that is not as easy to use as my old ones, simple as that. I'm sure I will get to grips with it eventually, but for now it's a pain in the arse. It just doesn't seem like progress so far, just annoying and frustrating.

By the way, thanks to everyone for the links and suggestions. Very much appreciated. cheeky surprise

Jonathan is off-line
21 January 2014 10:27
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Quote from RedChecker

What MS have done reminds me of the 'new' Coke fiasco in the mid 80s,  and if it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say.

I think this is so true !

Sadly, in my view, too many organisations have a 'no change is not an option' mentality.

I manage okay with Windows 8 - I just find it annoying for example when the 'right hand side optioins' keep popping up when my cursor poodles around over there.

Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

Chris is off-line
21 January 2014 10:37
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from SandyCamel
I think this is so true !

Sadly, in my view, too many organisations have a 'no change is not an option' mentality.

I manage okay with Windows 8 - I just find it annoying for example when the 'right hand side optioins' keep popping up when my cursor poodles around over there

I have a problem trying to get that thing to pop up at all. 

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
21 January 2014 10:48
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Even the Wikipedia article on Windows 8 is interesting as it says that Hewlett Packard have, this month, started a new PC promotion in the States selling machines with Windows 7. Even they seem to have said that Windows 8 is not a suitable OS for desktop use, and coming from one of the worlds largest PC manufactures, especially the corporate sector that's a crushing blow to Microsoft.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Chris is off-line
21 January 2014 10:56
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from RedChecker
Even the Wikipedia article on Windows 8 is interesting as it says that Hewlett Packard have, this month, started a new PC promotion in the States selling machines with Windows 7. Even they seem to have said that Windows 8 is not a suitable OS for desktop use, and coming from one of the worlds largest PC manufactures, especially the corporate sector that's a crushing blow to Microsoft.

I was actually window shopping at Wex, just looking at the printers trying to resist temptation, and I notice that none I looked at have Windows 8 on the system requirements section. Only up to 7. I couldn't help thinking that means something. 

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
22 January 2014 12:54
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from CCP
I was actually window shopping at Wex, just looking at the printers trying to resist temptation, and I notice that none I looked at have Windows 8 on the system requirements section. Only up to 7. I couldn't help thinking that means something. 

That they were released before Win 8 ?

22 January 2014 12:57
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from RedChecker
so all of these new-fangled interfaces such as touch-screen and ribbon technology really get me wound up as they actually worsen productivity in IMO (most of us still use text input on a command line as it's the fastest way to work with CAD),

Last time I checked keyboard still works in Win 8.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
22 January 2014 13:05
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from PHP_Photography
Last time I checked keyboard still works in Win 8.

I was referring to the interfaces in the software applications themselves, specifically AutoCAD (as I referred to it earlier) as it has traditionally run on a command line using text input but they're trying to do away with it by using various interface changes (either by using ribbon technology or pop-up icon wheels that appear at the cursor).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

22 January 2014 14:18
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from RedChecker
I was referring to the interfaces in the software applications themselves, specifically AutoCAD (as I referred to it earlier) as it has traditionally run on a command line using text input but they're trying to do away with it by using various interface changes (either by using ribbon technology or pop-up icon wheels that appear at the cursor).

What has AutoCAD interface changes do with Win 8 ?

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
22 January 2014 14:45
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from CCP
Windows 8.   I've got steam shooting out of my  ears! 

Having recently been forced into taking W8 on a new laptop, as I couldn't find one anywhere with XP Pro, I feel your pain.

Why MicroShaft have to break things which aren't broken is beyond me.

Is there any simple way to permanently get rid of that intrusive apps desktop, which seems to have been produced for kids rather than those who want to use a computer as a computer, before I throw the feckin laptop off the top of The Shard in frustration?

Bob

16 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
celebrateeverymoment chosin pinklilly YolandeLee001
Blancho bninja duncanjames jackw john_at_tina_spice liteangle oro redtail RenedeHaan stevegosh steveh32
harbourstudio