Reminder Secure

You wouldn't believe how much I HATE.....

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
21 January 2014 02:23
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I see people keep saying that it's laziness with not becoming accustomed to the new interface and not giving it a chance. I disagree.

We've had 3 or 4 Windows 8 machines in work since it was released and the fact people can't get on with it, isn't for lack of trying. It's simply inferior for use as a desktop operating system and the hate towards it is bourne from sheer annoyance at how archaic the interface is. We've actually upgraded some of those machines back to Windows 7 and those users are over the moon.  We're all fairly experienced with computers in the company I work for and would like to think we're not stupid, if Win8 was an improvement I'd like to think we're smart enough to see it (albeit at the change of our workflow) but we simply can't.

Microsoft do seem to release OS software on an odd/even scale in terms of whether or not it's any good so by that reckoning Win 9 should be OK.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

CSD Images is off-line
21 January 2014 03:01
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

Quote from RedChecker
Microsoft do seem to release OS software on an odd/even scale in terms of whether or not it's any good so by that reckoning Win 9 should be OK.

Modern UI is here to stay whether you like or hate it. MS has invested too much into the unification of it's services to can it. Xbox, Windows/Windows RT (OS), Windows Server and Windows Phone all use the same code base and that unification is going to get stronger with WP 8.1 when it brings the code base into something like 70% sync.

www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

21 January 2014 03:17
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from CSD_Images
Modern UI is here to stay whether you like or hate it. MS has invested too much into the unification of it's services to can it. Xbox, Windows/Windows RT (OS), Windows Server and Windows Phone all use the same code base and that unification is going to get stronger with WP 8.1 when it brings the code base into something like 70% sync.

I'll confess I've not used it much (about a day's worth) but I hated it, and feedback from my work colleagues who have suffered it suggest the changes they'd have to make to keep us happy would be minimal (like having folders similar to iOS) but they seem to have the arrogance to assume we'll all go touch-screen and we all want things simplified.  I understand the reasons for unification but IMO it's not an excuse for producing something below par, IMO they've dropped the ball with what is a DESKTOP operating system and instead shoved a phone/tablet one in its place and I actually wonder what sort of people they get feedback from when testing this stuff in the early stages, I'm pretty convinced they're not the sort of people who actually use desktop computers in a day-to-day working environment.

While we may be forced to have WIndows for work due to the software we use (that will never be available on a Mac as it's in-house coded), that doesn't mean we'd buy the same for personal use.  IMO, MS must have alienated a lot of their loyal customers with this (nobody in work has bought Win8 at work for their home machines, they've all been getting OEM copies of Win 7), and if they can afford it then fine, but I fear this could be a slippery slope for MS that could damage them in the long run. 

And while I'm at it, MS Office is now equally as awful with it's simplified interface.  The time of Windows XP was IMO the heyday for PCs and MS's panic at competing with other systems and the tablet market has utterly ruined what was once superb software (both the OS and Office).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

CSD Images is off-line
21 January 2014 03:42
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

Steven,

I just don't get what you mean. The start screen is an application launcher not an OS on the desktop. The desktop experience is the same as every other version of Windows. You have file explorer, libraries and folders/directories. Only in Windows RT will you lose folder structures because they are not 'needed' however what you gain is an OS that comes with Office for free and is far more secure than the standard Windows and probably every other mobile OS. In every other version of Windows 8.1 you can boot to desktop and use the Modern UI like the old start menu but with the added bonus of it being updated in real time for e-mails, news, weather etc. For most business usage Windows RT will not factor into the equation as that's a pure tablet OS only so you will never see it on a desktop.

There is rumours that Modern will get some kind of folder structure, there's already hints of this on WP through the Skydrive application that's been leaked.

The truth is touch is the future. PC sales are plummeting, tablets and mobile devices is where the future and desktop/workstations will only belong to the people who actually need them. This is why MS is doing this now they have to. Apple have gone a dual OS solution and Android is trying and failing to upscale to a tablet OS, hence why Google is now trying Chromebook.

I do agree that the Modern UI is limited, but that's more due to the fact it's a Gen 1 OS and that we are waiting to see what MS makes of it. Apps are finally starting to appear that take advantage of it but it can't and won't replace the power of professional applications like CAD/CAM, Creative Cloud, VFX and so on any time soon. That's why we have the desktop 'mode' and the ability now to ignore the start screen as much as you like.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

21 January 2014 03:52
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Perhaps the 8.1 update improves things, but I'm going by my company's experience with 8.0 and it's not good (we upgraded them to Win7 before this came out). And yes, I work with CAD so all of these new-fangled interfaces such as touch-screen and ribbon technology really get me wound up as they actually worsen productivity in IMO (most of us still use text input on a command line as it's the fastest way to work with CAD), although even the likes of Autodesk are revamping their interfaces for the worse although to be fair they at least have allow users to revert to a true legacy interface rather than it being a botch to keep users happy.

Peter Reime is off-lineSilver Member
21 January 2014 04:07
Preime
Photographer

East Sussex
Brighton

Under the Hood windows 8 is brilliant. It has an excellent search and file management process that is even better than win 7 as well as dozens of other tweaks. The problem is that MS screwed the pooch by forcing the new UI onto everyone, mouse and touch users alike. Plus they managed to screw up the integration of skydrive in 8.1. But at the risk of sounding repetitive installing something like Classic Shell fixes almost everything they got wrong, giving you the best of windows 8 in a win 7 environment. I have installed this onto every new win8 machine in our office and haven't heard a single complaint from any user.

21 January 2014 04:15
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

For clarity it's the UI that bugs me. I'm sure it's superb under the hood although we've had networking issues at work, hence another reason to upgrade to Windows 8 (and again, we didn't give it time to wait for 8.1 but in a working environment where a colleague's work is worth ~£120 an hour we couldn't afford to keep making do with a working experience that's inferior and reducing productivity)

Peter Reime is off-lineSilver Member
21 January 2014 04:36
Preime
Photographer

East Sussex
Brighton

Quote from RedChecker
For clarity it's the UI that bugs me. I'm sure it's superb under the hood although we've had networking issues at work, hence another reason to upgrade to Windows 8 (and again, we didn't give it time to wait for 8.1 but in a working environment where a colleague's work is worth ~£120 an hour we couldn't afford to keep making do with a working experience that's inferior and reducing productivity)

We are a firm of architects so I know all about how valuable time is, which is why I never even bothered to waste their time on trying to use the win8 interface and just set it up to look like a win 7 environment from the start. Most of them don't even realise they are using win 8
And 8.1 isn't any better. The reintroduced "start" button is a joke and basically just takes you straight back to the tile interface.

21 January 2014 06:20
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

You shouldn't have to make modifications or add third party software, if you do it just proves MS have done their job poorly.

We also have a lot of stability problems with what we do as it is (effectively a form of finite element analysis) and the machines are pushed hard for long periods of time, the last thing we need is to add additional third party software/interfaces that may bring its own compatibility issues to the table so to speak. We'll probably dig in for as long as is possible with our copies of Windows 7 (we did the same with Windows 2000 and subsequently with XP).

What MS have done reminds me of the 'new' Coke fiasco in the mid 80s,  and if it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say.

Neil Anderson is off-line
21 January 2014 07:20
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Clearly MS have been stung badly by apple innovations like the iphone and ipad, and particularly the success of apps and the app store. They have therefore tried to jump ahead to touch screen laptops, but (in fairly typical MS fashion) have jumped too far for their user base.

Apple have always had a solid customer base who buy their stuff because it 'just works' - those people are (sometimes reluctantly) happy to accept that Apple knows best, whereas windows machines (and android phones) attract both people who want more flexibility (sometimes ideologically) or just can't afford apple.

Windows 8 seems to be trying to be a poor man's Mac and makes the personalisation that has always been windows strength (and weakness) more difficult (although generally not impossible). As the hardware is generally still out of their control they will never achieve the stability for which apple has a reputation.

Just to be clear - these are generalisations so your personal experience of hating macs etc. doesn't actually impact on the bigger picture.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

7 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
pinklilly stratman79
keltica photofrank Robinsky Steveh32 woody