Reminder Secure

You wouldn't believe how much I HATE.....

ajfar is off-lineSilver Member
20 January 2014 07:11
ajfar
Photographer

Surrey
tadworth

try a copy of start8 used on my partners laptop solved a lot of problems you can get a free trial to try it before you buy only about $4 anyway

Peter Reime is off-lineSilver Member
20 January 2014 07:54
Preime
Photographer

East Sussex
Brighton

or use http://www.classicshell.net/ which is free and works brilliantly. I love my win 8 machine with it now

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
20 January 2014 08:00
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from CSD_Images
Is Win 8 perfect? No, but MS has been proven to be right about interface changes in the past and I don't think this is any different. It's just down to people not knowing how to adjust or that they don't know how to interact with the new environment.

You must be joking.

While they may have been right in the past this will NEVER be right.  How the hell they expect anyone to manage the rediculous list/grid of available programs & links without folders to organise them (like you could in the Win95 Start menu) is utterly beyond me.

Their gradual simplification & automation of OS features & tasks as a whole from Win95 onwards causes nothing but trouble for those of us who are moderately IT leterate.  Another thing that annoys me is adding "- Copy" as a suffix rather than "Copy of" as a prefix with file copy operations, a minor point but one that's irritates me in so much that someone somewhere decided that's a better way to work without giving me the option to change it.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Neil Anderson is off-line
20 January 2014 08:37
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

In 8.1 you can make it boot straight into desktop (apparently).
Apart from the tile screen it isn't so different to Win 7

The tiles are obviously ridiculous for non-touch devices, but how long will be before the vast majority of laptops are touch ?

Surely the really dodgy bit is the way it wants you to store info on microsoft servers with a microsoft account.
Whilst there are advantages in sharing info across machines (and perhaps it isn't much different to icloud) they manage to make life difficult if you don't do things how microsoft want.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
20 January 2014 11:09
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from CSD_Images
It's just down to people not knowing how to adjust or that they don't know how to interact with the new environment.

+1

Chris is off-line
20 January 2014 11:35
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

In my bedroom I have a pc with Windows 98se, which I end up doing editing on. The only reason I don't use it more is because the more modern software won't work on it. My laptop which died had XP, which I thought was fine. This new laptop with Windows 8 is a complete pain. What's worse, my old software which I love, including the software and drivers for my Epson Photo 2100 won't install either. I've ticked the boxes in the settings on my browsers to block pop-ups, and I still get tons of pop-ups. I just can't think of anything good to say about it. I tend to turn it on, attempt to do something, then give up and turn it off again.

Peter Reime is off-lineSilver Member
20 January 2014 12:15
Preime
Photographer

East Sussex
Brighton

Quote from CCP
In my bedroom I have a pc with Windows 98se, which I end up doing editing on. The only reason I don't use it more is because the more modern software won't work on it. My laptop which died had XP, which I thought was fine. This new laptop with Windows 8 is a complete pain. What's worse, my old software which I love, including the software and drivers for my Epson Photo 2100 won't install either. I've ticked the boxes in the settings on my browsers to block pop-ups, and I still get tons of pop-ups. I just can't think of anything good to say about it. I tend to turn it on, attempt to do something, then give up and turn it off again.

So basically you are saying you can't be bothered to spend a few minutes getting accustomed to a new interface and installing newer drivers?
Try this:
Step 1: Install http://www.classicshell.net/ to override the new interface
Step 2: Install the windows 7/8 drivers from epson's website. Here is the link to the 64bit version that install just fine on win 8.1: http://esupport.epson-europe.com/FileDetails.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=FGQ8MBMpKltVRRSU002F15pyxSJyO+UITU8qPebvspPzMMMU003D&id=325563
Step3: run you older programs in "compatability mode" . Just follow this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/make-older-programs-run#1TC=windows-7
Step4: install google chrome or Firefox and install a decent pop-up blocker add-on.
Pretty easy really

Chris is off-line
20 January 2014 18:35
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from Preime
So basically you are saying you can't be bothered to spend a few minutes getting accustomed to a new interface and installing newer drivers? Try this: Step 1: Install http://www.classicshell.net/ to override the new interface Step 2: Install the windows 7/8 drivers from epson's website. Here is the link to the 64bit version that install just fine on win 8.1: http://esupport.epson-europe.com/FileDetails.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=FGQ8MBMpKltVRRSU002F15pyxSJyO+UITU8qPebvspPzMMMU003D&id=325563 Step3: run you older programs in "compatability mode" . Just follow this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/make-older-programs-run#1TC=windows-7 Step4: install google chrome or Firefox and install a decent pop-up blocker add-on. Pretty easy really

I've been to the Epson website already, couldn't find any drivers for the 2100 series when I looked. I already use Firefox. But I will try those links, thanks for that. It's not the new interface which causes me a problem, it's not the look, it's the inconvenience of having hassle, when a new computer should make things easy not harder.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
20 January 2014 19:07
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

CSD Images is off-line
20 January 2014 22:31
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

Quote from CCP
What's worse, my old software which I love, including the software and drivers for my Epson Photo 2100 won't install either.

Then that's not MS problem, that's Epson's problem for not releasing vetted software. It's not as if they didn't have notice. You had a preview release several months before Win 8 went mainstream. Also Win 8 should be and is compatible with all Win 7 drivers. So if it works under Win 7 then it should under Win 8 unless the software provider didn't follow Windows  or WHQL best practices. With Win 7 both Epson and HP was invited to supply drivers to Microsoft to be released through Windows Update. HP complied for many of it's common and older printers but Epson dragged it's heels (which caused me no end of grief supporting them). The resulted on a lot of people staying on XP saying Win 7 is **** because the drivers don't work. It wasn't just HP/Epson but all first tier manufacturers was invited to make the installation process as painless as possible and to avoid a repeat of Win Vista in which very few companies released stable drivers.

Interesting editorial, some of the comments in it does surprisingly chime with what people have said here:

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-why-i-love-it
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Craigchesham
AndyGStudios chandos Essexjohn Lumen