Reminder Secure

You wouldn't believe how much I HATE.....

Chris is off-line
19 January 2014 16:19
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Windows 8.  It's gonna be a Mac next time.  I've got steam shooting out of my  ears! 

Mr D is off-line
19 January 2014 16:23
Darkstudent
Photographer
Darkstudent
Lancashire
Manchester

any chance you are using a none touch screen laptop with it on ?

Mr D is off-line
19 January 2014 16:23
Darkstudent
Photographer
Darkstudent
Lancashire
Manchester

Chris is off-line
19 January 2014 16:24
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from Darkstudent

Yes.

Mr D is off-line
19 January 2014 16:26
Darkstudent
Photographer
Darkstudent
Lancashire
Manchester

Quote from CCP
Yes.

lol I really dont know why they bother to sell it on none touch screen devices the whole thing is designed to be touched.

Chris is off-line
19 January 2014 16:33
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from Darkstudent
lol I really dont know why they bother to sell it on none touch screen devices the whole thing is designed to be touched.

The thing is, a tablet should be a tablet, and a laptop should be a laptop. 

19 January 2014 18:48
JadedRed
Model

Quote from CCP
Windows 8.  It's gonna be a Mac next time.  I've got steam shooting out of my  ears! 

I totally can. I hate Macs too though.

Henry is off-lineSilver Member
19 January 2014 19:28
Henry_Artist
Photographer
Henry_Artist
Lancashire
Blackpool

Just because something is newer that does not always mean it is better.
I may as well do it. I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

David Hunt is off-line
19 January 2014 19:43
dhuntuk
Photographer

Surrey
Camberley

I don't mind so much Windows 8.

It's the software companies that bug me. Some purchased software work on both my Windows 7 and Windows 8 laptops. And, some do not. I could not get my Spyder 3 pro to work on this laptop (Windows eight). Sorry, I do not wish to hijack your thread.

You'll get used to it.

CSD Images is off-line
20 January 2014 00:34
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

Hint get used to the keyboard short cuts, it does make it friendlier.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-8-keyboard-shortcuts-global-list

In essence though there is absolutely no difference with Win 7 vs Win 8 if you stay in the desktop. If you use Modern UI it's quicker to type a programs name and hit return. Just the same in Win 7, Win key, type and off you go. If you're information centric then Modern UI does shine, because those live tiles tell you at a glance information you may need without going into an application.

If you absolutely hate Modern UI then just set your laptop to boot to desktop and you'll rarely have to touch it again.

You'll start appreciate Win 8 when you realise you have to do a rebuild or replacement machine it will give you two choices, wipe and preserve your profile or a total re-install. In addition if you connect to your Outlook account it will even repopulate your WiFi and other settings automatically.

Is Win 8 perfect? No, but MS has been proven to be right about interface changes in the past and I don't think this is any different. It's just down to people not knowing how to adjust or that they don't know how to interact with the new environment. Windows 8.1 is a step in the right direction.

Something that people also miss is the new improved task manager, intelligent copying (especially over LANs) and under-the-hood performance improvements especially to the GPU stack which helps programs that use the GPU for OpenCL and other compute tasks. If you use dual monitor rigs then each monitor is resolution independent meaning you can have different DPI on each panel add in to the mix better taskbar support for dual monitors then this is one area that is better than OS X at present (who've still not fixed various bugs with their launch bar in the latest edition for example).

For reference I use a Surface Pro through RDP, desktop and stand alone and also on a old Core 2 desktop.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
fashion29 Natpenelope SuzyMonty Winterlilly
Davebu david1500 dby47 djb1 eosfan keltica lester2705 mikebee nunude panda49 Phiesta1 photomart poah sammylhel siclews smart2 steveh32 wacTony Wayne Wtphotos
Hayley26x