Reminder Secure

Marketing your business.

This thread is being watched by 1 person
18 January 2014 05:10
ATVLONDON
Photographer

I'm interested to learn how, those of you who run your own business, market that business.  I run my own business not related to photography but apart from a website and the odd newspaper advert, it is no longer bringing in enough work for me to live on, hence I'm sponging off my missus and I don't like it.  What do you actually have to do to market a business successfully?  I'm interested in hearing from those of you who run a business away from photography as I think that is a saturated area.  Although I accept I'm never going to be a professional tog there are those of you who make a living from it.
My doctor told me I've only got 6 months to live. Then I told him I couldn't pay him... so he gave me another 6 months.

18 January 2014 06:30
jessicard
Model

Have you tried social networking sites? They are a good way to spread the word and attract potential custom
http://jayerose.tumblr.com/

18 January 2014 07:09
ATVLONDON
Photographer

Hi Jess thanks for replying. I was on Facebook for about two weeks but I couldn't stand it so deleted my account. I know many people use it to great advantage but it wasn't for me I'm afraid.
My doctor told me I've only got 6 months to live. Then I told him I couldn't pay him... so he gave me another 6 months.

Oliver Cook is off-line
18 January 2014 07:37
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Depends on the business. My father runs a cleaning business and I help him with the marketing. After having tried all kinds of glossy magazines, newspapers, paid online campaigns etc. we found the most effective is simply getting thousands of nice quality postcards from Vistaprint and actually dropping them through people's front doors. It is by far the most effective for that business and enables you to very accurately target specific customers. The downside is that it is a lot of leg work and sometimes you get abuse from people who don't like 'junk' mail. But still, worth the effort.

18 January 2014 07:50
ATVLONDON
Photographer

Good point Artisoli. I tried it last year. Printed a thousand leaflets and we all went out one evening delivering them Got one job from the whole drop and she has remained a loyal customer. I do double glazing repairs, have been doing it on my own since 2001 and it was a thriving business up until the crash happened in 2007 and then it went downhill. I think leaflet drops work for some business more than others.

Ron Williams is off-lineSilver Member
18 January 2014 10:11
RonA
Photographer
RonA
Kent
Bexley

I use social networking sites and make sure I keep my eyes and ears open for opportunities such as events and casting calls.

I have entries in both on-line directories as well as the normal yellow-pages type publications.

Most of my commissions are by word-of-mouth however

Best

Ron

18 January 2014 10:21
C_Riccio
Photographer

Have you tried contacting glazing companies offering contract services? Also look at property maintenance companies, especially those that have big contracts for social housing.

18 January 2014 11:24
ATVLONDON
Photographer

Quote from C_Riccio
Have you tried contacting glazing companies offering contract services? Also look at property maintenance companies, especially those that have big contracts for social housing.

Yes I have tried that but they do not seem to want to deal with a small one man outfit.  Same problem when I quote for insurance work.  I'm miles cheaper than the big boys but for some reason they think they will get a better job done if they use a large company.  I quoted to fit a composite door in a ladies house for £700.  One of the big DG companies that uses a mountain as its logo went in at £4000!  Work that one out?

Keith Wells is off-lineSilver Member
18 January 2014 11:42
keithpics
Photographer

East Sussex
Brighton

I'd suggest the point with your double-glazing repairs business is that people only need your phone number when they have a need for that service. Therefore you have to think of ways your number will be handy when a problem suddenly crops up.

As one example, we get a free small local magazine delivered every month. I've used it several times for plumbers, electricians and the like. An advert in something like that, not expecting to be rushed off your feet immediately, will help build your business up. I'd also say that responding to every reply, whether you can help or not, is essential. Several local tradespeople here have failed because they only replied when they were quiet. Something like: 'No job too small' is encouraging as long as you mean it. The more jobs you do, the more your name will spread, the more people will contact you. It's much the same for most one-person businesses, including models and photographers.

18 January 2014 12:11
ATVLONDON
Photographer

Yes Keith I've tried that as well and you are correct with the need for my phone number to be around when needed. This was also the reasoning behind the leaflet drop I did. Having said all this I've just had 3 enquiries come in this afternoon all from my website. I'm pretty good at getting the work once I get the leads. I reckon I get 80% of the work I quote on. It's just getting the leads in the first place that is the problem.

32 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Danielamoreno1975 danixhale Dolphin Lushlolly Pinklilly tanyacox
abouncer azurphotos barrysmiles Blancho david1500 diphoto Essexjohn fannmore FlyingShot GlasgowPhotographer Hioctane ism1967 James7799 just_lez Kjoservices KrissB Ladiesman liteangle orca_photography philippahh shadowtime74 Skystudio tonyk1
Bawdenj
harbourstudio