This thread is being watched by 1 person
OldMaster is off-line
13 January 2014 14:15
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

back up everything to two hard drives. Storage space is cheap compared to losing images? I have three now...two older 500gb and a new 1Tb. Really important files are on all three although I have had no problems with any of them to date. I don't understand your comment. ..if the work is important to you how hard is it for it to be copying across between drives....you don't even need to be there!!

Nick Skinner is off-line
13 January 2014 16:02
snapper47
Photographer

West Sussex
Horsham

I use crashplan, everything uploaded from my laptop to their servers, and downloaded back to me if ever I have a hard drive failure. Will anybody be able to read a cd in 20 years? Will an external hard drive last 20 years? Will Crashplan be around in twenty years? Will I be around in 20 years?

EdT is off-line
14 January 2014 14:34
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from mph
Sandisk do a "memory vault" they reckon will last 100 years. Expensive though! I guess it would be suitable for keeping jpeg copies of stuff like children's and wedding photos.

They can make the claim, but I don't suppose they'll be around if it fails after 25 years.

Profile Pictures is off-line
14 January 2014 15:44
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Tesco direct, I just got a hitachi Touro 1Tb drive for £33 delivered.

rmsoansphotography is off-line
14 January 2014 16:16
digimarx
Photographer

London

Quote from MaoZhu
Digital back up to DVD and two forms of active Hard Drive, but as a belt and braces last resort I Print off a selection of the best and store them away in a dark cupboard. Maybe a little OTT, but I have negs and prints that have survived 75 years this way.

DVDs are just the same as CD-ROMs very unreliable for storage, I use a two disks NAS, not RAIDed though

Mao Zhu Photography is off-line
15 January 2014 08:08
MaoZhu
Photographer

Wiltshire
Warminster

Quote from digimarx

DVDs are just the same as CD-ROMs very unreliable for storage, I use a two disks NAS, not RAIDed though

DVD's are also a problem when it comes to speed and quantity. The DVD drive really struggles to open if you are using thumbnails to search. There is also the problem that one is having to use one DVD for each shoot. But having had in the past a hard drive corrupt itself, before having a second one, DVD was my saviour. But I do wonder what is going to happen in the future. I have boxes and boxes of negs going back to pre WWII, all safe and sound. But will there be copies of digital images of today around in a readable form in 50 years time? but that is another debate, but it is also why I do as I say print a selection of hard copies and store them away. To me that is the only safe way

15 January 2014 09:47
ATVLONDON
Photographer

That is exactly the problem MaoZhu. I do love the things one can do with digital but it is the archiving process that causes the biggest headache for me. I remember searching through my late grandmothers belongings when we were clearing her house and found lots of negatives taken during the war years around Southend in Essex, also pics of me when I was a nipper in the early 1960's. But I'm sorry to say there is no way that digital files are going to last that long. Although having said that I think Digital imaging is really still in the early years and something may come along that increases the longevity of the files.
My doctor told me I've only got 6 months to live. Then I told him I couldn't pay him... so he gave me another 6 months.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
15 January 2014 10:07
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I keep seeing people have problems with optical media, I guess I'm lucky in that I've not had problems for years. In the early days of CD/DVD burning there were issues but I've not had problems for a long time, although in part I use good media (TDK / Maxell) and never burn at the highest speed (and always perform full verification).

Apparently their longevity can be increased if kept in a cool/dark location (much like film).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Gerry is off-line
15 January 2014 10:29
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from ATVLONDON
But I'm sorry to say there is no way that digital files are going to last that long. Although having said that I think Digital imaging is really still in the early years and something may come along that increases the longevity of the files.

Of course they will - its the storage medium that decays or becomes unreliable not the actual file. Storage media exponentially improves and so every three years or so you can replace what you used previously copying all the files across. Make multiple copies and constantly update them and then replace every three years and there is no reason why digital images should not last forever.

Film negative and print does however decay, there is usually only one copy and if something catastrophic happens, that is the end wheras with digital, provided you manage how and where you store, you will still be able to retrieve
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Bluelah chosin louisakawaii lynnesel marvelmae72 natalie120525
63jian ad360photo AndeyePhotography anochecer Blancho DecimalDan djb1 dnlklondon freddie Ian_Walker James7799 Jskazza karlsheen Ladiesman liteangle modelboutique Njsphotography Puremoods rscott360 scottmcccxiv Spiritofwales tonyk1 User12345