Reminder Secure

Archiving Digital Files.

This thread is being watched by 1 person
12 January 2014 16:12
ATVLONDON
Photographer

May I ask what you use to archive your digital images on?  I just read a book on Lightroom in which the author mentioned that storing images on exterior hard drives will result in them becoming corrupted if the drive is not used for a number of years.  I've used CDs in the past but their reliability is somewhat hit and miss and as a result have had  discs becoming unreadable as operating systems and computer programs change.  This is one of the reasons I stick with film as I can still view images taken 50 years ago.  So what is the most reliable back up device?
My doctor told me I've only got 6 months to live. Then I told him I couldn't pay him... so he gave me another 6 months.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
12 January 2014 16:29
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

There's no such thing as a truly reliable backup medium as they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

The key to ensuring your data is kept alive for years to come is by refreshing your backups by regularly moving the data to new media.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

12 January 2014 16:36
ATVLONDON
Photographer

That's what I didn't want to do. To have to keep moving files over and over is irritating to me. You just cannot trust anything that uses electronics or digital data.
My doctor told me I've only got 6 months to live. Then I told him I couldn't pay him... so he gave me another 6 months.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
12 January 2014 16:44
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

With hard drives as long as you plug them in for five minutes every month or so it'll keep the bearings lubricated so you'll gain some time doing that. With optical media keeping them in a dark, cool & dry place will help them last longer.

Other than that there's little you can do other that to accept that this is how modern technology is.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

12 January 2014 17:04
ATVLONDON
Photographer

Ok thanks for your input. I'll bear that in mind. I have a FreeAgent 900GB external hard drive that is over 5 years old and a Hewlett Packard 500Gb drive. Both are still working fine after all this time but I just wondered how long they would last after I read that book.

CSD Images is off-line
12 January 2014 18:09
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

How I back up my images:

3 internal HDD. 1 Primary data, 2 back up of primary and 3 is a version control drive (I keep two previous of each file).

I also back up a Western Digital Passport and a NAS. Currently I'm experimenting with DNG files for the 'live' archive with me storing the proprietary RAW file on off-line storage (WD Passports) to save space.

Pretty much covers all the bases. For most purposes the most reliable is a SMB NAS solution, you set it up on the LAN and then map it as a drive letter or a iSCSI target if supported. If a drive fails you just replace it with like for like.

As with any drive, it's not if it's when it will fail. The average drive has a lifespan of around three years and reliability will drop off a cliff after that so replace all drives after three years.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

Paul Hodson is off-line
13 January 2014 04:52
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Sandisk do a "memory vault" they reckon will last 100 years. Expensive though! I guess it would be suitable for keeping jpeg copies of stuff like children's and wedding photos.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

13 January 2014 09:58
ATVLONDON
Photographer

@MPH. I'd be happy if something lasted 20 years. Cos after 20 years have past I will be senile.

Paul Hodson is off-line
13 January 2014 11:21
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from ATVLONDON
@MPH. I'd be happy if something lasted 20 years. Cos after 20 years have past I will be senile.

http://photo.net/gizmos-and-gadgets/hard-drives/flash-memory/sandisk-memory-vault/review/

Abouit £40-60 I think - varies quite a bit. Thing is - how many photos are really that important?   smiley
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Mao Zhu Photography is off-line
13 January 2014 11:29
MaoZhu
Photographer

Wiltshire
Warminster

Digital back up to DVD and two forms of active Hard Drive, but as a belt and braces last resort I Print off a selection of the best and store them away in a dark cupboard. Maybe a little OTT, but I have negs and prints that have survived 75 years this way.

9 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Samanthajane4
ChrisD grahamsphotography lester2705 Musicman Platidonio rembrandt westend_portfolios
Charlottealom