Vinyl Backdrops?

Saracen House Studio is off-line
13 January 2014 17:25
saracenhousestudio
Studio
saracenhousestudio
Buckinghamshire
Milton Keynes

It's a numbers game. If you're going through lots and lots of white paper, then vinyl is a good option.

If you're shooting no full length or only infrequently shooting full length, I wouldn't say that the expense of vinyl make economic sense.

Saracen House Studio - Professional Studio Hire in Milton Keynes - www.saracenhousestudio.co.uk

JSP is off-linePlatinum Member
12 February 2014 12:49
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Well it finally looks like I'm getting my studio, so I will have to make an important decisions soon regarding the vinyl backdrop.

I just need to remember that when it comes to vinyl the ladies will have to be careful with their high heel shoes. frown

I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Paul Riddell is off-line
13 February 2014 04:23
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Vinyl is very easily damaged as in kinked, dented with heel marks. And the reflectiveness of brands varies, some of the cheap ones can be very overly reflective.

Also a lof of the cheap ones have a texture to them which can be problamatic.

The best type of Vinyl is commercial grade for office use, i.e. flooring, wall covering. But its very heavy not foldable and only suited to studio use.

I have an absolutely huge one, its about 20' x 30' and no its not brilliant. It has that horrible texture weave to it I mentioned earlier, and marks easily but it is portable and about the biggest thing I can get with the portability and at least this one is tough. Despite hauling huge heavy products across it it hasn't got damaged.

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

14 February 2014 07:25
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Thanks Paul for your input, if I go with vinyl then I want quality vinyl.

It's an expensive business sorting out a studio to your own personal tastes and standards. Every time I pop in I always think of something I need to buy. oh well, hopefully I should get the show on the road by March.
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

JHD is off-line
15 February 2014 18:52
Astphoto
Photographer

Merseyside

Check out studiodecor.co.uk

They do huge ones, mines 10 x 20 and is brilliant. They also use a very heavy grade vinyl so heal marks, dents etc don't happen.

I have used it on hard floors, carpets and even outside on grass with no problems. The only thing you need to bear in mind is they are heavy and need heavy duty stands.

16 February 2014 06:37
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from Astphoto
Check out studiodecor.co.uk They do huge ones, mines 10 x 20 and is brilliant. They also use a very heavy grade vinyl so heal marks, dents etc don't happen. I have used it on hard floors, carpets and even outside on grass with no problems. The only thing you need to bear in mind is they are heavy and need heavy duty stands.

Thanks for the tip.

Mark Silvester is off-lineGold Member
17 February 2014 06:23
marksilvester
Photographer
marksilvester
Dorset
Gillingham

I have a Lastolite white at my studio its 3 x 11 Metres its very hard wearing and produces excellent results. Get a good quality one and make sure if you are using them on a floor its a hard surface to avoid heel punctures.

Also make sure the floor its on is clean as grit will cause dents.

Don't bleach them unless you want a yellowish tinge to it!.

Just remember they are heavy.

17 February 2014 07:21
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

I have just ordered a good quality heavy duty backdrop support which can take vinyl as well as paper.

The studio has had a good sweep, but until I can move certain large objects the floor will have to wait for a good mop. Yes need it nice and clean for what ever backdrop I opt for.

Once I have my backdrop up, unless I'm changing rolls it will be staying up in the same place. Definitely not something I would want to be carrying around.

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ad360photo antoinewynn bbphotos BOBREEVES bradder carshaltonkev Cheshunt83 daseinphoto Fstop humphries James7799 Jb3329 john_at_tina_spice keltica MIB nemesis rcimages Rhadamanthus rod_m99 Rscott360 Sp_digital thelook VB_Photo visions11 xposed