Okay, so Scotland leaves the UK and the rest of the UK leaves the EU

Jonathan is off-line
10 January 2014 18:28
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Good or bad ?

In my opinion very bad for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland  - any-one see anything good in this ?

If so, please say exactly what  ....

Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
11 January 2014 01:47
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

Why can't the other countries stay in the EU?

Personally speaking, the chance to govern our own country (Scotland) is an opportunity we can't ignore.
CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

11 January 2014 04:23
twentytwenty
Photographer

And Catalonia gains independence from Spain, and a few German states keen on breaking from Central control follow suit

Scotland is being watched closely by many other EU countries, should it break away, though Wales will surely follow,

Maybe the days of large centrally controlled Countries has passed its sell by date. The smaller self controlled country could be the future, after all many can only fare better than they do now.

My own view is simple, Scotland does not want independence from England, It actually wants Independence from Westminster, As a country it wants to be able to make its own decisions, its own choices for its own people and be able to forge its own future. Which I believe any country should have the right to do.

Ps I live in Scotland, I am not actually Scottish, 

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
11 January 2014 04:53
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

This is an observation, not an opinion....

I,m Scottish, but have not lived permanently in Scotland for 6 years.

I,m not sure that the majority of Scot,s want indepedance from the UK, but I have noticed over the years and particularly when I was living there, that the most fervent and often most vocal people in favour of independance are people from other countries who live in Scotland, particularly the English.

This is an opinion...

Scotland is a better country to live in than England, by a long way, in my opinion. Unfortunately, its also remote, generally sparsely populated with limited opportunities for certain career choices although it does enjoy a better and fairer legal system and a better education including free University education. The health system is aso marginally better, mainly due to free prescriptions and free parking at hospitals.

I would prefer to live in Scotland, but practicalities dictate that I do not.

I dont want Scotland to become independant from the UK and I dont want the UK to leave Europe, I can see no good coming from either.

And I would also point out that people who use the phrase "becoming independant from England" have no grasp of History. We became the UK by an act of union in 1603 and King James of Scotland was the first monarch of the United Kingdom taking over the English crown.
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

Rupert Rudd is off-line
11 January 2014 05:02
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

More people live in Yorkshire than in Scotland. So how about independance for Yorkshire? It makes as much sense.
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

11 January 2014 05:32
Jackass
Photographer

Hull's not in Yorkshire anymore
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it could be my ex wife.

Chrissie Red is off-line
11 January 2014 07:56
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from IainT
he health system is aso marginally better, mainly due to free prescriptions and free parking at hospitals.

Not sure about that one, I was visiting a family member at ninewells in Dundee last week cost me £2.10 for 30 minutes in the evening (although I believe thats for the first 2 hours its that one flat fee)... Great if you are visiting for 2 hours but not if its just a fly in visit. Edinburgh Royal also charge, about the same but they don't have the "up to 2 hours" so it works out slightly cheaper if you are only visiting for an hour. PRI in Perth charges during the day  (which doesn't bother me too much because I rarely do daytime visits and even if I did there is never any free spaces anyway) but is free in the evening. 

Thankfuly family members are on the mend now and I don't have to visit hospitals every night to see them, good job mum doesn't stick a parking fee for her driveway ;-)

I do know all doctors surgeries I have visited still have free parking, so I guess thats something. I'm sure my sisters dental practice down in reading required a parking ticket for their own car park.

Anthonygh is off-line
11 January 2014 09:35
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

The whole of the UK needs tostart  electing decent politician to Westminster....if this happened the Scots wouldn't be so keen to go independent.

That said, I don't think Scots people as such are being given a real say. The vote has been deliberately restricted to those Scots resident in Scotland but a substantial number live / work in England. These people are denied the vote and these are probably the Scots who particularly value the benefits of remaining within the UK.

Even taking that into account, I would be surprised if Scotland votes for Independence....for all its faults the UK has 'worked' for the 300 years it has included Scotland and I don't think most Scots will want to rock the boat at this time.

fotorico is off-line
11 January 2014 09:40
fotorico
Photographer

Cumbria
Kendal

Quote from Jackass
Hull's not in Yorkshire anymore

Yes it is.

http://county-wise.org.uk/counties/

"When modern local government was first created, in 1888, the areas of its “administrative counties” were based on the historic counties. Local government remained fairly closely based on the historic counties from 1888-1965. However, the cumulative effect of the numerous local government reforms since then mean that few local authorities now have an area anything like any historic county. However, the words “county” and “county council” are still used in local government terminology. Many local authorities also still use the unqualified name of an historic county, despite having a very different area to that historic county. The result is confusion. The public sometimes mistakenly believes that cherished historic counties have been altered or abolished by local government change, despite the Government repeatedly confirming that this is not the case."

11 January 2014 11:21
twentytwenty
Photographer

Iain you raise a valued point about the loudest supporters being English, not Scottish. you also have a high number of immigrants living in Scotland from outside the UK now, who have very little connection with England, its these people who could make a big impact.

Last year speaking to those around me, I thought quite honestly, no way would Independence happen, but in the circles I move in, those attitudes are changing as the day of the vote approaches. Now I am not so sure.

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
HazelAries Krystald rob452 winX
bernadinism bob casell clarmike cliffc ianscales Impression James7799 Johnathons Kjoservices Lumen nemesis Nessie nunude ohkan orca_photography pellium Steveharratt Thunder_Photos