stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from Discretion
Professional concerts.

As opposed to? School concerts?
What sort of content are you talking about ?
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 January 2014 10:31
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from stolenfaces
As opposed to? School concerts? What sort of content are you talking about ?

How many schools do you think could afford HMI lighting?

It's probably only viable for use on commercial (eg. pop/rock concerts or major theatre) productions, smaller venues will simply use tungsten due to its cheapness.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Neil Anderson is off-line
08 January 2014 10:47
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from RedChecker
How many schools do you think could afford HMI lighting?

It's probably only viable for use on commercial (eg. pop/rock concerts or major theatre) productions, smaller venues will simply use tungsten due to its cheapness.

Most smaller venues in London now use LED lighting (presumably due to electricity and bulb costs).
His concerts sound pretty pedestrian if he is recommending bracketing.

[obviously I wasn't suggesting that he was photographing School Concerts, I was asking him how his answer specified anything. All of the gigs I go to are 'professional' and nothing like the ones he seems to frequent]
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

faces is off-line
02 June 2014 07:00
rodandthefaces
Photographer

Tyne and Wear

Quote from Discretion
Professional concerts.

Some artists are more well known than others which I have photographed.

Will is off-line
28 June 2014 04:27
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

Too many variables in terms of concert genre, camera type and metering and lighting. There is no 'one size fits all. You need to know your gear, know your photography skills and adapt to the situation. At one 3-day festival event I found the stage floor gave a good custom WB and spot exposure reading - until the third day by which time it had muddied up somewhat.

Whoever is organising the event has the right to set controls on photography. If you are just going along on a chance do not think you have the right to take photographs.

Prince got it right. He told his audience to experience his concert in person, not via their digital devices.
Where there's a Will, there's a way.

Profile Pictures is off-line
28 June 2014 05:34
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Try searching the forum for previous information in this topic, it's been well covered. As a start point, understanding how a/your dslr works is helpful.

Preswylfa is online
28 June 2014 06:30
gwentman
Photographer
gwentman
Caerphilly
Blackwood

Quote from profilepictures
................ As a start point, understanding how a/your dslr works is helpful.

Too true as I found out trying to use my Nikon D3200 with a studio flash head.
For a start it turned out that the camera was far more intelligent than my mediocre brain smiley and that's why it's wise to have your forum buddies to help you.
Anyhow I perservered and eventually nailed the buggercheeky.
Job done.

Mike.

8 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
michellehush
Davie46 gerry99111 gwentman James7799 rscott360 thelynchfella tonycsm