Here we go again....

HowardJ is off-line
07 January 2014 16:57
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

And the police wonder why they lose the people's support.

There was an incident a few months ago in brum where someone was threatening to commit suicide by throwing themselves off a motorway bridge. The police's reaction was:

- close the motorway to remove the danger to the individual and members of the public. Fair enough.

- they kept the motorway closed for another 12 hrs or so while they convinced the individual to come away from the bridge. Bloody stupid and caused huge traffic jams, delays causing 1000s of people's plans to screwed up.

I thought the idea of the police was to ensure the actions of a minority of the population didn't adversely impact the rest of the population and they enforced the law not what they feel like doing at the time. The police have forgotten they serve the people and we pay their wages. Let's have real policing not cameras everywhere that do nothing but make money for people. They're not actually making anything safer.

Paul Hodson is off-line
07 January 2014 16:59
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from HowardJ
And the police wonder why they lose the people's support. There was an incident a few months ago in brum where someone was threatening to commit suicide by throwing themselves off a motorway bridge. The police's reaction was: - close the motorway to remove the danger to the individual and members of the public. Fair enough. - they kept the motorway closed for another 12 hrs or so while they convinced the individual to come away from the bridge. Bloody stupid and caused huge traffic jams, delays causing 1000s of people's plans to screwed up. I thought the idea of the police was to ensure the actions of a minority of the population didn't adversely impact the rest of the population ............

Yes - should have shot the inconsiderate mph is a naughty person !

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

07 January 2014 17:00
johnlp
Photographer

Quote from mph
I thought he was pretty restrained! Having listened to the entire video - whilst technically the copper was not correct about deleting images he was clearly trying to be sensitive to the victims - and although he was out of order to some extent I am not unsympathetic with him. The guy also let the police thought he was a reporter - which he may or may not have been. He went through the images and was clearly trying to be reasonable. And there was no threat of violence - nothing more than a flippant comment. Give the guy a break. Storm in a teacup for me!

I'm with you on this one.  If the police officer had been at the actual scene of the accident his sensitivities would be at their maximum, and he might say things that normally he wouldn't.  Loose his job?  No.  An apology? Yes.  You can't go around sacking highly (and expensively) trained police officers over this sort of thing.

HowardJ is off-line
07 January 2014 17:05
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from mph
Yes - should have shot the inconsiderate HowardJ is a naughty person !

No, they'd removed the risk of death from the public and the individual by closing the road. They should then have removed the individual by non-lethal means, introducing protective measures to stop him hurting himself and removed him to a safe place where they could have helped him with his problems. Allowing one person to mess up the lives of 1000s for almost an entire day just can't be right. The innocent members of the public were just forgotten about.

Steve Guy is off-line
07 January 2014 18:55
Sdeve
Photographer

Derbyshire
Derby

This idiot police officer was a sergeant FFS! He should know the law and what he was spouting was out and out wrong. It is clear from what he was saying that he in fact had no problem with the photography but was more concerned about being asked politely by the photographer if the photographer could do what he was actually allowed to do anyway. There was simply no offence of obstructing a police officer. I do believe that when it got to the point the officer threatened to arrest me for obstructing him I would have told him to go ahead. He was/is an incompetent, bullying, ego tripping fool.

OK, he was at a fatal road collision which is unpleasant. That might allow a certain terseness in his demeanour. It doesn't excuse a continued exercise in stupidity. He could have resolved the whole thing by just ignoring the photographer, and why shouldn't he? If the sergeant should be dismissed it would not be because he was rude, offensive etc. but because he should be let out on the public when he hasn't got a clue about what he was doing.

Moi is off-line
07 January 2014 19:03
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_photography
County Durham
North East

Quote from mph
Yes - should have shot the inconsiderate clearview_photography is a naughty person !

Maybe they'd forgotten their cameras or thought it might be against the law to take photographs in these circumstances cheeky

I havent watched the video so dont know the rights and wrongs of this particular case but just because we have the right to do certain things doesnt mean we have to do them, whatever happen to respect and common decency ?

I believe, as a Freeman of the City of Newcastle, Alan Shearer has the right to graze his sheep in the City, for whatever reason he chooses not to!
The most dangerous creation of any society is the man who has nothing to lose." - James Baldwin

Gary Newton is off-line
07 January 2014 19:35
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Essex

I've sat here wondering if I should comment or not. I haven't seen the youtube, not sure if I want.
So I can't comment on the video but the split opinion on here. Of all the people who would like to see the copper dismissed, have you never said anything in the heat of the moment, have you attended or been involved in a fatal RTA. Yes I know police should be perfect, think about everything they say, make sure they are beyond reproach. I know photographers rights have been frequently trampled on, bullied by over zealous police and security guards however........ had I been the victim in that situation, as I ascended up to the pearly gates I would of been hoping that the policeman shoved the camera up the photographers kyber pass. Unless of course the photographer was there in an official capacity.
Still wondering, of all the people who wanted the copper lynched what if it was your mum, daughter , partner]

Steve Guy is off-line
07 January 2014 19:47
Sdeve
Photographer

Derbyshire
Derby

Quote from clearview_photography

I havent watched the video so dont know the rights and wrongs of this particular case but just because we have the right to do certain things doesnt mean we have to do them, whatever happen to respect and common decency ?

It is not the police officer's job to threaten someone with unlawful arrest, to make up the law as he goes along, and to treat the public like dirt. I could have some sympathy if he had just been a bit snotty with the photographer, but he moved away from acceptable behaviour into prolonged bullying until the photographer was sufficiently subdued to sooth his ego.

Moi is off-line
07 January 2014 20:15
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_photography
County Durham
North East

Quote from Sdeve
It is not the police officer's job to threaten someone with unlawful arrest, to make up the law as he goes along, and to treat the public like dirt. I could have some sympathy if he had just been a bit snotty with the photographer, but he moved away from acceptable behaviour into prolonged bullying until the photographer was sufficiently subdued to sooth his ego.

Well its good to see EX Chief Inspector Corner of the Yard is on the case but if you check I think I said

"I havent watched the video so dont know the rights and wrongs of this particular case"

So there seems to be little point in bringing up the issue with me, obviously with your training and vast experience in the Police force maybe you should have spotted that, I bet you were the perfect Police Officer 
The most dangerous creation of any society is the man who has nothing to lose." - James Baldwin

Steve Guy is off-line
07 January 2014 20:40
Sdeve
Photographer

Derbyshire
Derby

Quote from clearview_photography
Well its good to see EX Chief Inspector Corner of the Yard is on the case but if you check I think I said

"I havent watched the video so dont know the rights and wrongs of this particular case"

So there seems to be little point in bringing up the issue with me, obviously with your training and vast experience in the Police force maybe you should have spotted that, I bet you were the perfect Police Officer 

Aren't you the bright one. You haven't seen the video yet you feel inclined to comment on it. Nothing of what I said was a personal attack on you yet you feel free to make personal remarks about me. Your comments moralise about common decency and respect. Qualities you seem unqualified to judge if your predilection to personal abuse is anything to judge by. And, FWIW, I would never in my police career, perfect or not, have acted like that cretin.

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Antz casell lfc9_uk