Here we go again....

Don is off-line
07 January 2014 07:35
DonMacKay
Photographer
DonMacKay
West Yorkshire
Keighley

Alledgedly, another photographer has been a victim of police misconduct....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-25634173 

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
07 January 2014 07:45
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

It would be nice if for once, one of these instances involved typical photography in the street such as taking photos of normal people, buildings or landscapes that a holiday maker may take.

I get the impression many of these occurances with heavy-handed police seem to happen around sensitive locations or events. This one was near a fatal car crash and another recent one involved photographing police officers in Northern Ireland IIRC, both someone sensitive and as a result my sympathy with the photographers involved is somewhat lacking.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul Hodson is off-line
07 January 2014 08:01
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from RedChecker
It would be nice if for once, one of these instances involved typical photography in the street such as taking photos of normal people, buildings or landscapes that a holiday maker may take. I get the impression many of these occurances with heavy-handed police seem to happen around sensitive locations or events. This one was near a fatal car crash and another recent one involved photographing police officers in Northern Ireland IIRC, both someone sensitive and as a result my sympathy with the photographers involved is somewhat lacking.

+1

We don't know what happened in this case - but if - and I stress if - the cop thought he was taking photographs of an injured or dead victim I might have more than a little sympathy with his attitude.

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Peter Hague is off-line
07 January 2014 08:06
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from mph
+1

We don't know what happened in this case - but if - and I stress if - the cop thought he was taking photographs of an injured or dead victim I might have more than a little sympathy with his attitude.

Why? As distasteful as some may find it, taking pictures of an accident scene, the dead and injured, is legal to do, and to be threatened with physical violence by a police officer is wholly wrong. His job is to uphold the laws enacted by parliament, not invent and enforce rules he's created on the spot.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Neil Anderson is off-line
07 January 2014 08:39
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

The story seems to be a) that a member of the public was apparently sworn at by a policeman.
b) the member of the public videoed part of the exchange
c) the member of the public 'had been taking photographs of a road in Churchdown'

There is no particular reason from the report to think that the apparent reaction to the man was anything to do with him taking photographs, at least not a primary reaction. The details are so sketchy that speculation is pointless.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Peter Hague is off-line
07 January 2014 08:46
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from stolenfaces
The story seems to be a) that a member of the public was apparently sworn at by a policeman. b) the member of the public videoed part of the exchange c) the member of the public 'had been taking photographs of a road in Churchdown' There is no particular reason from the report to think that the apparent reaction to the man was anything to do with him taking photographs, at least not a primary reaction. The details are so sketchy that speculation is pointless.

The full video on Youtube (12 mins) shows its about the guy taking pictures of an accident scene, then standing up for his legal rights when ordered by the copper to delete the images, questioning the officers claim that he has to have his permission to take photographs in public, question "what for?" when threatened with arrest, and finally get threatened with physical violence for being there.

This copper should be out, no pension, but we all know it'll be "words of advice have been given" when they close ranks and protect one of their own.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Paul Hodson is off-line
07 January 2014 12:07
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

I thought he was pretty restrained!

Having listened to the entire video - whilst technically the copper was not correct about deleting images he was clearly trying to be sensitive to the victims - and although he was out of order to some extent I am not unsympathetic with him. The guy also let the police thought he was a reporter - which he may or may not have been. He went through the images and was clearly trying to be reasonable.

And there was no threat of violence - nothing more than a flippant comment. Give the guy a break.

Storm in a teacup for me!

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

G Jack B is off-line
07 January 2014 12:42
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Quote from PeterH
Why? As distasteful as some may find it, taking pictures of an accident scene, the dead and injured, is legal to do, and to be threatened with physical violence by a police officer is wholly wrong. His job is to uphold the laws enacted by parliament, not invent and enforce rules he's created on the spot.

So when you have a car accident and are laying on the road awaiting an ambulance you are OK that a passing photographer takes some pics of your broken bleeding body nd then uploads them to facebook so your family might see them before the police have had time to inform the next-of-kin.....  ?  lets hope your not dead as your family might not be happy to see your pic like that!
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

w4pictures is online
07 January 2014 14:09
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

It sounds from the video that the policeman was in no doubt that the photographer was acting in an questionable manner, whether that was getting in their way or taking pictures of the accident, thus the comment that he would put him before a magistrate and see what he thought.

Like all these things with just part of the information, its hard to judge but, if you consider the procedure, distress, logistics etc. of dealing with a nasty traffic accident, the last thing the police need is a numpty with a camera regardless of the legality of it. On that basis, its hard to sympathise with the photographer.

Mantisphoto is off-lineSilver Member
07 January 2014 15:27
mantisphoto
Photographer
mantisphoto
Birmingham

Im sorry but regardless of what the actual pictures were of, unless the photographer had actually broken any law... and afaik taking pictures of an accident in a public place is perfectly legal since there were no cordons in place restricting movement of pedestrians... the officer is extremely out of order...

Those who sympathise with him are wrong. If the officer believes a crime was committed he should have arrested the man, and not spent 12 minutes threatening him. He should have let the courts decide on the situation, but he knows that the courts and CPS would have not done anything about it and the man could have then claimed wrongful arrest. Also, asking a man to delete photos is unlawful too... only a court order may demand that images get deleted, and otherwise, if a crime had been commited, deleting them is destruction of evidence. It is also very easy to recover deleted images in just a few minutes so entirely pointless.

Claiming "you're lucky i dont knock you out" and "im going to make your day a living hell" are the words of a power hungry officer and nothing more. 

I hope he gets dismissed!!

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Cody maria_dyl SophieLouise1991 tim Zadi
antoinewynn chriscooze ChrisD cliffc david1500 duncanjames grahamsphotography James7799 Leztec MIB modelboutique modjo30 Npick1 rscott360 shinywear stevegosh w4pictures westend_portfolios will_i_am
tim