OldMaster is off-line
06 January 2014 05:27
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

"You say that my brownie 127 is out of date , surely not"

If you had one it may be worth more than a three year old DSLR body! I started as a kid with these and never did get the hang of stopping at the frame numbers as they appeared in the little red window in the camera back!!

06 January 2014 06:17
Jackass
Photographer

You say it's a fairly objective article, but surely the real objective is to sell the article > newspaper? Had he wrote the article as a chronicle instead of a money making exercise probably he couldn't have sold it. The primary function of magazines/newspapers to make money, not report news. I'm sure that photography will still be with us for the forseeable future.
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it could be my ex wife.

Street Model is off-line
06 January 2014 10:39
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Essex
Upminster / All UK

Quote from OldMaster
"You say that my brownie 127 is out of date , surely not" If you had one it may be worth more than a three year old DSLR body! I started as a kid with these and never did get the hang of stopping at the frame numbers as they appeared in the little red window in the camera back!!

I am afraid a Brownie 127 is worth less than a quid - 2 sold on ebay recently, one for 99p inc free postage and the other for 75p plus postage.

So much for history!

It could be Lupus.... It is NEVER Lupus!!

Anthonygh is off-line
06 January 2014 11:24
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

An inbuilt assumption here is that some image capturing devices are substantially inferior to others and that those using the 'inferior' devices can't be photographers or produce decent 'photographs'.

However...it is the photographer that creates the image using an image capturing device and at the end of the day there might be billions of people using image capturing devices as and when they feel it appropriate.....but not all of them will qualify as 'photographers creating photographs' in the same way that everyone who knocks something up in the kitchen isn't a chef although both are 'cooking'.

Bottom line is that decent images will be taken by decent photographers and the quality will show.....they don't really have to worry about the death of photography anymore than chefs worry that better kitchen gadgets will be the death of the culinary arts....tools are just tools...it is craftsmanship that counts

Neil Anderson is off-line
06 January 2014 11:54
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

A definition
Photography: the art, process, or job of taking pictures with a camera

Only the job is threatened by more people with more cameras.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Peter Hague is off-line
07 January 2014 05:22
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from anthonyh
An inbuilt assumption here is that some image capturing devices are substantially inferior to others and that those using the 'inferior' devices can't be photographers or produce decent 'photographs'. However...it is the photographer that creates the image using an image capturing device and at the end of the day there might be billions of people using image capturing devices as and when they feel it appropriate.....but not all of them will qualify as 'photographers creating photographs' in the same way that everyone who knocks something up in the kitchen isn't a chef although both are 'cooking'. Bottom line is that decent images will be taken by decent photographers and the quality will show.....they don't really have to worry about the death of photography anymore than chefs worry that better kitchen gadgets will be the death of the culinary arts....tools are just tools...it is craftsmanship that counts

Micheal Christopher Brown, shoots mainly with an iPhone, Magnum nominee,

http://mcphersonimages.wordpress.com/2013/07/02/new-nominated-magnum-photographer/
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

07 January 2014 15:20
Marty_W
Photographer

It evolved. Gone are the days where people spent hours waiting for that precious moment, getting their setting right. Now its taking any ol photo and sitting on lightroom for a couple of hours.

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Candykisses DanielleWx Lucina Scarlett_rose14 Stephieb27 toxicinnocence
63jian Arterotica david1500 funky HarishPadalia kimsandman2 Kjoservices Ladiesman michaelangelo mlp panda49 parafotos paulfcm16 psn Quad1 sniffer Studio1 thelook
harbourstudio