Reminder Secure

'It can be 50 - 60 or even 70 shoots before you can even think of getting paid for work'

Profile Pictures is off-line
05 January 2014 06:02
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I just saw this somewhere on the site, given as advice to new models. I won't reveal where or by whom.

Can I suggest, for the benefit of new models, that if you need 50 shoots before anyone pays you, something is seriously weird? While I'm a big fan of TF shoots, the point of these is to work with people of sufficient standard to enhance your portfolio, in turn this will attract paid work (it's hoped)

I've seen a few models portfolio's develop in the time I've been here and elsewhere, and its pretty normal for a new model to spend about 6 months really getting her act together, at which time she'll have (if she's worked well) an excellent port. Often it's a shorter time, and it's even possible for one seriously impressive picture to kick start a decent second income in modelling.

Nobody likes to be told to work for free indefinitely, and often those who suggest it have least to offer.

Jaye  is off-line
05 January 2014 06:37
jessicard
Model
This member has been reset to pending
jessicard
Vale of Glamorgan
Cardiff

I agree - I always find it hilarious when models post asking for advice on how to get paid work and the inevitable answer is ALWAYS "do TF and lots of it". No doubt then followed up by an inbox message from whoever posted, offering TF!

I was offered paid work within my stated levels as soon as I joined the site - probably only done 2 TF shoots in my whole life and, depending what you're into, I've done pretty well carving myself out a name in modelling.
http://jayerose.tumblr.com/

Paul Hodson is off-line
05 January 2014 06:57
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

I thought for a moment you were talking about photographers!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Paul Hodson is off-line
05 January 2014 06:59
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from jessicard
I was offered paid work within my stated levels as soon as I joined the site.............

You mean you weren't even prepared to do 50 adult shoots TF?  Shame on you! smiley
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
05 January 2014 07:35
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Sound like someone trying to get 50-60-70 shoots for free!

TarMoo is off-line
05 January 2014 07:46
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Kent
Chatham

One Kent model did 200 TF shoots up to nude with the same photographer before putting up a casting for paid work. Maybe he kept telling her she was not ready.
Q: How to make a small fortune from photography? A: Start with a large fortune.

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
05 January 2014 07:52
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Quote from tarmoo
One Kent model did 200 TF shoots up to nude with the same photographer before putting up a casting for paid work. Maybe he kept telling her she was not ready.

Did she get 200 for her trouble?

05 January 2014 07:53
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Jesus wept, that's not a TF shoot, that's a cat scan surely?

Brian Buckland is off-lineSilver Member
05 January 2014 08:29
para
Photographer
para
Norfolk
Diss

I'm of the opinion,if a girl is worth shooting then she's worth paying.

To me for some girls,TFP can be detrimental.The big guns on here,the chaps who actually can get girls published,I'm sure can recognise that a girl has potential.They don't need to see images by other photographers.

Who would want to be Photographer 71 and have to dip into your wallet

05 January 2014 08:39
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Quote from para
I'm of the opinion,if a girl is worth shooting then she's worth paying.

To me for some girls,TFP can be detrimental.The big guns on here,the chaps who actually can get girls published,I'm sure can recognise that a girl has potential.They don't need to see images by other photographers.

Who would want to be Photographer 71 and have to dip into your wallet

Given the number of models who's feedback exceeds 71, lots of photographers would be happy to shoot a successful and popular model irrespective of who may have done so before. Not that I'm suggesting you infer this in your point, but the 'new meat' and the 'trophy' shooter aren't the most desirable photographer types. Equally, the logic fails if we consider celebrities who are photographed endlessly and still attract more attention.

An example, more local to here, would be Ivory Flame, as you said in the first sentence, worth shooting, worth paying. I expect that would have been true on day one of her career too.

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura heather94 Kayleigh94 lynnesel Michelledefeo1
Blancho cliffc Creativedge digitizer eosfan Ianmcculloch ImageStyle kinofist MIB mike0048 nige_nw panda49 redbaron Robinsky stevegosh Steveh32 supaglam Willy_O Zuiko