Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
04 January 2014 04:59
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from EdT
To be fair, that's not "quite easily" if there is only one in existence.

I thought it was obvious both of us were talking in a historical sense as hardly anyone uses film nowadays.

Besides, it's probably not as difficult as you think to rent that camera.  If one still exists it is probably also available for rent and I'm sure Panavision will oblige if your wallet is deep enough.

They certainly still list 65mm cameras on the American website
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Simon Chan is off-line
04 January 2014 06:42
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from OldMaster
The Blackmagic looks to be a beaurifully made bit of kit but apart from ergonomics is it really an advance on the ff dslr bodies?
Not my field so I ask out of interest. Watched a 4k 55" screen and was suitably blown away but it is "only" 6mp. With ff dslr Canon bodies exceeding this and with great low light performance are they actually capable of better quality than the Blackmagic....but just a bitch to use!!

Since it is not your thing, I would say video files from dSLRs compare to cameras such as blackmagic, Arri, Red is like comparing upsampled jpeg files with RAW. You can try freeze frame a video clip and see for yourself what the quality looks like, then take a still photo of the same scene in RAW and compare the two.
If you try to process dSLR video files such as changing the contrast, saturation, white balance, etc, it falls apart, not so likely with the other cameras.

Of course there is the Magic Lantern Raw hack for Canon dSLRs but you need a very fast and very large CF card that only gives a few minute of recording and time consuming converting the files suitable for editing.

Paul Ottey is off-lineSilver Member
04 January 2014 06:52
otteypm
Photographer
otteypm
Staffordshire

The Blackmagic cameras come with their own set of unique problems but the footage recorded is much more robust than DSLR, they shoot raw or prores, prores is great for going into edit, raw workflow can be a pig but it keeps the quality. DSLRs generally put out heavily compressed finishing formats like H264, also the sensors are rarely optomised for video, all sorts of horrible techniques like line skipping are used to create the image. I don't think the ergonomics are any better on the Blackmagics from the DSLR, The main problem with a lot of the modern digital cinema cameras is that they require a lot of add ons to make them workable.
Video Shizzle https://vimeo.com/user2367653/videos

OldMaster is off-line
04 January 2014 11:42
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Thanks....makes sense! And the cumbersome nature of using my dslr for video has always put me off anyway. Always been a completely different genre of image creation compared to stills anyway...at least that is in my opinion!

Simon Chan is off-line
10 February 2014 17:12
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

My very early preorder has paid off. I will be getting my Blackmagic 4K camera tomorrow. I heard there is a huge waiting list with delivery to US retailers expected in April in small batch.
I need a model to point this thing at

w4pictures is off-line
10 February 2014 17:53
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

The star of the moment and the past couple of years is the Arri Alexa for many films and TV. After a long wait from Arri, they produced a camera which appeals to directors and cameramen alike. Its easy to operate, the menus are well-organised and it uses Ambient timecode. With a 14 stop exposure latitude, it records immense detail and gives enormous grading flexibility.

That's not to say that the RED is in any way shabby. But it seems that the success of the Alexa means that there are better deals to be had in hiring REDs and they are a bit quirky by comparison. The cooling fan on the Epic is so loud its like having a washing machine running on set so they are a good choice for non-sync shoots. And, as above, they all need add-ons to make them operable.

The new kid on the block is the Arri Amira, designed as a documentary camera but with the sensor from the Alexa and time-limited upgradeable.

Simon Chan is off-line
10 February 2014 19:38
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Arri seems to be the preferred choice for most hollywood production. I'm not in the market for Arri or RED because the price range is out of my budget as a hobbyist. However cameras from Blackmagic is within my budget and intercut with Arri very well. The new Andrex advert was shot with both Arri and Blackmagic, can you tell which camera shot which scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH1Ec9Dr9NE

10 February 2014 19:42
Catuaba
Photographer

With the 5dmkiii coming with video and having been used in some film sets I was looking forward to learning about it and maybe eventually putting it into play on some short film type vids. However having had a good go with it now I find the following. GREAT FOR: Depth of field, slow blur bokkeh type work, intro's, a fun extra. NOT SO GOOD FOR: full on film work, robust film shooting, etc

I find the footage to be a little over saturated, and clearly the need for lots of lenses and swapping lenses, manual focus fine adjustment, avoiding camera shake etc etc is all not really practical for fast shooting.

I'm tempted on the canon xa10 for an all-rounder but not sure, for indoor work on a dslr it's really all about light, a couple of work lights do ok but would melt the subject in no time.
Even then the images are over saturated, although of course this can be edited in post.
I've got some good footage in the past, don't get me wrong, but I think If I was wanting something more to take out and about and get definite great results every time with it wouldn't be a dslr. I would hope to find a decent video camera that ticks all the boxes without spending ten grand. Even then if you don't know how to use it then it wont be much use. I've seen ok footage on the action cams, hand held £200 jobs, even mobile phone footage, but soon as you enlarge the content it goes. The XA10 at the moment seems most appealing for the hobby type looking for pro results. But as I have never used an is lens for video on the 5d I may be in for better results when I do.

I would never risk magic lantern or other firmware or alterations, although the results look good.

10 February 2014 19:46
Catuaba
Photographer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaUngL6VAdg

Simon Chan is off-line
10 February 2014 19:47
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

For 5D shoot flat profile such as Neutral in picture style and turn down saturation, colour, sharpness or better still download Cinestyle. Grade everything in post.

32 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Charlotte90 chosin danixhale jensomerfield scarlettfoxett
andygstudios basil Blancho bradder clarmike Creativedge digitizer duncanjames Enigmatic gazzer59 iestyn jpdo keltica magpie1 mrdl Platidonio Puremoods redbaron Rhadamanthus Rhphoto Rscott360 Snooper911 stevegosh TinDolls wacTony Willjamieson