Reminder Secure

Cameras used in films

Simon Chan is off-line
03 January 2014 08:46
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Anyone into filmmaking and curious about what kind of cameras used someone has compiled a database
http://shotonwhat.com/

Profile Pictures is off-line
03 January 2014 10:46
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I've done quite a few videos for musicians using the 5d2, it has limitations of course but the footage is pretty good.

David Heels is off-line
03 January 2014 11:47
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

I went to an open day at Provision in Leeds just before Xmas, where they had numerous cameras out for punters to test/play with, including Arri's, Red's, Black Magic's, etc. plus grip and lighting equipment like the Movi.

There's some stunning gear out there, however, IMHO, you still can't beat a 35mm Panavision for quality.

Good website Chandos, thanks for posting. There's also a BFI database somewhere, that not only shows what every British film was shot on, but also who distributed them, etc. All useful information if you like that kind of thing.

Profilepictures... check out a brilliant little Zombie/Buddie movie called 'The Battery'. Shot entirely on a 5d Mkii (and a hired Zeiss lens). The movie was made for only $6k, but is well worth a look. I saw it projected onto a cinema screen and was very impressed with the quality.

Dave

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 January 2014 16:53
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Crippen
There's some stunning gear out there, however, IMHO, you still can't beat a 35mm Panavision for quality.

You can quite easily.... you film with 70mm Panavision (although sadly I believe there are only two working cameras left in existence)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 January 2014 17:05
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I made a mistake, there's only one in existence

I think it's fair to say that a modern comparison would be 35mm is akin to 4K video, and 70mm is akin to 8K.  Certainly for remastering purposes they seem to be remastering the most well-known 70mm films in 8K before downsampling them to 4K or 1080P.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

David Heels is off-line
03 January 2014 18:00
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Quote from RedChecker
35mm is akin to 4K video, and 70mm is akin to 8K.

That sounds spot on to me. Especially when you read the spec on the new Bolex digital 16 and Super 16 cameras. 1920 x 1080 pixels (16mm mode) & 2048 x 1152 (Super 16mm mode).

Dave (not usually geeky)

Simon Chan is off-line
04 January 2014 01:58
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

I still prefer if they are more specific as to what camera used for which scenes. I know several 5D2 was only use as crash cams in the Avengers. I'm sure the site might be useful to show to potential clients who are curious about the camera a videographer uses. I actually lost a gig after showing my little Lumix GH2 to a client who obviously thinks a 5D2 is better.
Personally I believe dSLRs has an influence in the film industry with its 135mm as an option. Still many successful films are shot using S16 such as Star Wars.

I'm not exactly won over by the DB16 just yet especially having seen Philip Bloom's samples. It looks like low light handling is not great maxing out at ISO400 and lot of grading to make it look reasonable but firmware fixes are being suggested by the designer to improve things.
I've pre-ordered the Blackmagic 4k hours before it was announced in NAB 2013 after leaked photos emerged so I'm the first on the waiting list with my reseller

EdT is off-line
04 January 2014 04:23
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from RedChecker
You can quite easily.... you film with 70mm Panavision (although sadly I believe there are only two working cameras left in existence)

To be fair, that's not "quite easily" if there is only one in existence.

OldMaster is off-line
04 January 2014 05:39
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

The Blackmagic looks to be a beaurifully made bit of kit but apart from ergonomics is it really an advance on the ff dslr bodies?
Not my field so I ask out of interest. Watched a 4k 55" screen and was suitably blown away but it is "only" 6mp. With ff dslr Canon bodies exceeding this and with great low light performance are they actually capable of better quality than the Blackmagic....but just a bitch to use!!

Laurence Power is off-line
04 January 2014 05:58
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

Anything is better than CGI! I know it's incredible what they are able to achieve, but I'd rather see less special effects and have real images shot on a camera.
Laurence J. Power

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Astramore chosin fashion29 Jessicaliu1993 missminiskirt pinklilly Winterlilly
63jian antoinewynn cliffc couchestudio davidd200 dougharding edwards Essexjohn flair_photography gshocker30 Impulse_Images James7799 Kjoservices MIB modelboutique photomart rscott360 Scottda steeee212 steveh32 thelook westend_portfolios