Taking Editing To Extremes

Suzy Monty is off-lineSilver Member
02 January 2014 14:44
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Found this little video interesting. How much editing do YOU do?

I only ever ask for basic editing, from any photographers I work with, sometimes none at all. (In case of Press photographers especially)

Unless it's fantasy editing which is a completely different ball game.

http://www.upworthy.com/see-why-we-have-an-absolutely-ridiculous-standard-of-beauty-in-just-37-seconds?c=ufb3

Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

John McNairn is off-line
02 January 2014 15:17
Fox2006
Photographer
Fox2006
Tayside
Dundee

Nothing like that much...but most of my editing is working on the background/enviroment, the model gets basic editing mainly because I don't think they need anything else. Skin smoothing, sharpening, small bits n bobs and final toning...job done.
Erica Von Stein - jealousy does manky things to people.

Suzy Monty is off-lineSilver Member
02 January 2014 15:40
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

That's how it should be...

I didn't realise such extremes as this video shows...
Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

Gerry is off-line
02 January 2014 15:43
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Model gets their skin edited - spots fixed and smudges corrected individually. I have had I think two models ask me to liquefy their waists smaller - I told them to get stuffed and am now a lot more careful who I work with.

I think I do a pretty good job of making the models look good with lighting, composition and styling and if they need significant work beyond that, then I have the wrong model.

I don't care if they think they have the wrong photographer, anyone that needs the liquify tool needs to sort themselves out or foget any meaninful internet modeling career
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
02 January 2014 15:51
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

Suzy- thanks for highlighting this issue.

IMHO there is FAR too much editing going on these days- in the media and advertising- and yes even on Purestorm.

Very few photographers I have met are taking any kind of stand against it. They just want to join the Photoshop bandwagon. It is only in photojournalism that it is frowned upon. To the point of zero tolerance with some photo agencies. It is perfectly OK to fake up female beauty, but not OK to fake up news photos!

It has almost become more important for a photographer to be good at Photoshop, rather than good at taking photos.

Now, how many models would prefer to have images produced by a photographer who tries to use light, angles etc to make them look good, rather than use editing. In my experience very few. They prefer to look even better with a photographer using Photoshop. Every time!

I have heard models complain that very highly regarded photographers have even used another models mouth or nose, such is the level of editing. To me this is crazy, but these are photographers who are very highly rated. But they are cheating!
As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

nik_guy is off-line
02 January 2014 16:01
nik_guy
Photographer
nik_guy
North Yorkshire

Is it just me or does anyone else thinks she looks better before all the editing?
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Paul Jones is off-line
02 January 2014 16:28
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

I enjoyed the video and admire the work of the retoucher.
I don't subscribe to the theory that Photoshop is cheating.
Retouching is an art-form in its own right.

www.PaulJones.org

Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
02 January 2014 16:41
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

Quote from Paul_Jones
I enjoyed the video and admire the work of the retoucher.
I don't subscribe to the theory that Photoshop is cheating.
Retouching is an art-form in its own right.

You sound just like most photographers I meet.

By cheating, I meant when it goes to extremes, like when a models mouth or nose is swapped. I don't think a little touching up and removing blemishes is cheating. Touching up and airburshing have gone on for decades. But on the video, I think we are into cheating territory. Or should I call it "simulation"?

The whole point of the video is to show how fake the images of beauty are that young women are force fed in advertising and magazines. And they don't know how fake they are. It is bound to give a lot of young women low self esteem. IMHO it is very unhelpful and unhealthy.

Maybe I should stick to photojournalism and forget about model shoots.  

As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
02 January 2014 16:52
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Quote from nik_guy
Is it just me or does anyone else thinks she looks better before all the editing?

Yep I think that too. far too extreme editing gone of by the end.

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
02 January 2014 16:55
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Mostly just clone spots and stray hairs off, If done on a beach will clone out anyone in background.

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Angeleyes777 danixhale fashion29 Krystald pinklilly Shannone Zadi
63jian android_man bradder carpe_diem Dandelion djb1 donaldmac doughnut dwhphotography JOOPninja keltica Kjoservices Lumen MIB mikebee mrdl nemesis Puremoods Rhadamanthus ronniefesta thelook Thunder_Photos