Reminder Secure

Model's Manager attending Shoot

GRAHAM HICKMAN is off-line
28 December 2013 08:37
IRONBLOKEMAN
Photographer

Shropshire
TELFORD

This is a new one to me. In the past I have not objected to a chaperone attending a shoot providing they do not interfere.
Have any photographers come across this situation. I appreciate some models do have managers but do they really need to be on the shoot.
Most of my work is outdoor location in remote locations to which the model is made aware of when I commission a shoot.

HowardJ is off-line
28 December 2013 09:03
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I guess its a newbie model and she has asked for someone to accompany her. Make use of them as an assistant.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
28 December 2013 09:29
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Quote from HowardJ
[I guess its a newbie model and she has asked for someone to accompany her. Make use of them as an assistant. ]

Yes, give them your bag to carry, they've probably got the models bag as well, and keep them permanently occupied with a reflector.

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
28 December 2013 09:32
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

Quote from IRONBLOKEMAN
This is a new one to me. In the past I have not objected to a chaperone attending a shoot providing they do not interfere.
Have any photographers come across this situation. I appreciate some models do have managers but do they really need to be on the shoot.
Most of my work is outdoor location in remote locations to which the model is made aware of when I commission a shoot.

Internet models don't need managers.

A "model manager" is another term for a boyfriend who wants to be "involved" in the models career or is pimping them out.

The minute I hear the term "manager" at internet level...I imediately think...mmmm...thats one to be avoided.

And as for dealing with "model managers", not only would I not have them anywhere near a shoot, I would not knowingly have any dealings with them at all.
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

Razoir is off-line
28 December 2013 09:43
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Quote from IainT
Internet models don't need managers. A "model manager" is another term for a boyfriend who wants to be "involved" in the models career or is pimping them out. The minute I hear the term "manager" at internet level...I imediately think...mmmm...thats one to be avoided. And as for dealing with "model managers", not only would I not have them anywhere near a shoot, I would not knowingly have any dealings with them at all.

ABSO-BLOODY-LUTELY!!! The words, "My manager", scream, "I do not know what I am talking about but me an' my bloke are bloody pretentious."
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Gerry is off-line
28 December 2013 09:45
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from IainT
Internet models don't need managers. A "model manager" is another term for a boyfriend who wants to be "involved" in the models career or is pimping them out. The minute I hear the term "manager" at internet level...I imediately think...mmmm...thats one to be avoided. And as for dealing with "model managers", not only would I not have them anywhere near a shoot, I would not knowingly have any dealings with them at all.

+1
You may even find the model manager is the one you have been communicating with! Models often seem to let these individuals control their lives. Potentially, you have arranged a shoot and having someone on and potentially controlling the shoot who you know virtually nothing about other than you were attracted by the models pictures

Most managers I have heard about are controlling boyfriends or some creepy photographer who is mentoring his prized possession.

Mo way springs to mind
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

28 December 2013 09:54
ScottishGeek
Photographer

One word:- "Next!"
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." – Henri Cartier-Bresson

Steve M is off-line
28 December 2013 11:13
TheShinyOne
Photographer
TheShinyOne
London

Another word for boyfriend or chaperone. Personally, I'd look elsewhere.
I live for the nights that I can't remember / with the people that I can't forget

GRAHAM HICKMAN is off-line
28 December 2013 11:30
IRONBLOKEMAN
Photographer

Shropshire
TELFORD

Thanks for the advice. I was going to say no to the manager being present. Was interested to see if any of you had had this experience

Paul Venn is off-lineSilver Member
28 December 2013 11:35
jpv
Photographer
jpv
Norfolk
Norwich

I've come across this a couple of times and I always (enthusiastically) ask for a list of the managers other clients so that I can check up on their agency and registration. It has always gone quiet at this point.

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray Dionne_94 Katieann1 sarahlou73
AndyGStudios aprilscherz3 BOBREEVES cliffc eosfan extra_mayo Fashionphotography freddie guitarman gwentman hopps Ladiesman Mattcairns MIB peterh Reynard Steveh32 Steveharratt swalsh58 xsa73