Reminder Secure

Feedback system - "not recommended"

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Claypaws is off-lineGold Member
23 December 2013 20:10
Claypaws
Photographer

North Yorkshire

The feedback system has a couple of categories which are, IMO, rather dangerous and open to abuse. They are the "turned up but not recommended" and the "possibly recommended".

The danger, as I see it, is that this feedback option prevents the addition of a comment and so gives no idea of what was behind the rating and no chance for readers to evaluate the feedback in the context of other entries. It is also very much open to abuse. A photographer who asked a model to go beyond her levels and was rightly refused, for example, might give her a "turned up but not recommended" blue face. Or a model who turned up badly prepared and is sent home might give the photographer a "turned up but not recommended". In both those cases, the "guilty party", as it were, is the person giving the blue face, not the recipient of it.

In some situations, the rating might be completely fair but, in the absence of a comment field, we can never know.
For the system to be fair, it seems to me to be essential to require a comment, not to prevent a comment. As things stand, a member can give a blue face without stating a reason (because the system prevents comment) and be completely immune to any comeback since retalliation is also forbidden.

I have asked PS moderators about this but I would be interested to know other members' views.

BTW, I have neither given nor received such feedback!

23 December 2013 20:22
Socialdisaster
Photographer

I've never understood the "possibly recommended" but if I see the other one, I contact the person who left to see whats what.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Gerry is off-line
23 December 2013 20:27
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

I think you will find the site wants to avoid getting drawn into potentially litigious disputes.

They are relying a little on people sorting their own crap out and I have heard of cases where someone does strike first to cover up their own fault and that has gone to be moderated and the reference removed.

If it was my site, I would probably do the same as I wouldn't want to risk a defamation case which is always possible when one person makes a negative comment that spells out something quite damaging about the other persons character
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
23 December 2013 20:43
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Quote from Gerry99111
[I think you will find the site wants to avoid getting drawn into potentially litigious disputes.

They are relying a little on people sorting their own crap out and I have heard of cases where someone does strike first to cover up their own fault and that has gone to be moderated and the reference removed.

If it was my site, I would probably do the same as I wouldn't want to risk a defamation case which is always possible when one person makes a negative comment that spells out something quite damaging about the other persons character]

Agree, and the reason/s for non recommendation could be quite varied, from dubious or offensive behaviour, from either party or just a TF shoot where the model didn't think much of the pics.
There are mechanisms, as said ,for appeal and moderation, regarding feedback comments but if the matter meant legal issues were involved, then allowing comments beyond 'not recommend ' could be considered as prejudicial.

Chrissie Red is off-line
23 December 2013 22:46
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I rarely take in or value any written text on any references - Even if the photographer has glowing references, I will still ask some of those models what he/she was like to work with. If you haven't left negative/haven't been given a negative then why does it matter? Follow most others leads and contact some of the previous people that person has worked with if you want a better idea of what they were like to work with.

HowardJ is off-line
24 December 2013 04:48
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

If there was a comment box you'd just end up with people writing nasty comments about each other. Its best as it is. If you want to know why a "turned up but is not recommended" was left then contact the parties involved for a private explanation.

I've only ever left one piece of negative feedback and that was due to the model's attitude (this is how I pose and if you don't like it tough and how she couldn't do basic maths and decided to make my 6 hr shoot a 4 hr one for the same fee so she could fit in a shoot with another photographer. I chose to abandon the shoot and leave as she told me I could if I didn't like it).

24 December 2013 05:08
Claypaws
Photographer

North Yorkshire

Quote from HowardJ

I've only ever left one piece of negative feedback and that was due to the model's attitude (this is how I pose and if you don't like it tough and how she couldn't do basic maths and decided to make my 6 hr shoot a 4 hr one for the same fee so she could fit in a shoot with another photographer. I chose to abandon the shoot and leave as she told me I could if I didn't like it).

So how would you have felt if she had left you negative feedback first, thereby preventing you from leaving negative feedback for her?

24 December 2013 05:43
twentytwenty
Photographer

I wouldn't take a blind bit of notice of the Feedback system. its so damn false, the idea is a good one, but unless people leave proper fact based feedback its never going to work. false sense of security.

Chrisse Red's comment is of far more value

24 December 2013 05:50
Claypaws
Photographer

North Yorkshire

Quote from twentytwenty
I wouldn't take a blind bit of notice of the Feedback system. its so damn false

Really? You wouldn't care if someone left you unfounded negative feedback?

24 December 2013 05:58
Claypaws
Photographer

North Yorkshire

Quote from Chrissie_Red
I rarely take in or value any written text on any references - Even if the photographer has glowing references, I will still ask some of those models what he/she was like to work with. If you haven't left negative/haven't been given a negative then why does it matter? Follow most others leads and contact some of the previous people that person has worked with if you want a better idea of what they were like to work with.

Why then do you write positive feedback for anyone as one assumes you would recommend readers to disregard your feedback as you disregard that of others?

The reason I think the issue matters is that anyone can become a victim of what I see as a danger in the system. Though I have not been involved in either side of this issue I flag it for the same reason as I might report an accident hazard on the road. One day any of us might be the one to come a cropper on it.

26 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
apriluk chosin JoannaJoy pinklilly RedXXX
63jian andrewk anthonyh antoinewynn asnphotography azurphotos ChrisNewton diphoto djb1 Essexjohn firsttake Ladiesman mike0048 philippahh PhilStorm psn redbaron Rhadamanthus rod_m99 Skystudio
barlowstudios