Reminder Secure

Internet provider

11 December 2013 02:18
twentytwenty
Photographer

Hi
I am sick to death of BT my current provider, thinking of swirching to Plusnet Are any of you guys on it, If so is it as good as they say,  swirching will save me £14 by the way and get rid of the pathetic BT homepage

Thanks 
Allan

G Jack B is off-line
11 December 2013 03:54
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Well you don't need to put up with the BT home page any how.

Are you likely to get fibre at you postcode soon?

Plusnet still uses the same lines so wont be any quicker but may well be cheaper.
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

11 December 2013 04:34
twentytwenty
Photographer

I use to be able to avoid using the BT homepage, and log directly into my e-mail, however since Bt decided to change everything, I can only access my email via their homepage. which is full of total crap and takes a while to download.

My Area will take years to upgrade to Fibre, so I have to accept the slower speeds, but I just spoke to Plusnet advisers if I change now, I get 12 months unlimited package for £1.99 plus line rental per month, seems the deal. just hope its as good as they say.

Hugh Spence is off-line
11 December 2013 06:51
StNeots
Photographer
StNeots
Bedfordshire
Potton

Quote from twentytwenty
I used to be able to avoid using the BT homepage, and log directly into my e-mail, however since Bt decided to change everything, I can only access my email via their homepage. which is full of total crap and takes a while to download. .

I can still access my email through windows mail as there was an explanation of what was needed if you use a email program outside your browser, but can only check my spam through BT's home page.  I can also testify to BT's home page being slow to load and for the first few weeks it stopped working at weekends as it got full of IE specific code and had what looked like visual basic in the HTML, so Firefox showed a blank page for a login to email page.

Steve M is off-line
11 December 2013 10:34
TheShinyOne
Photographer
TheShinyOne
London

Er, you know that Plusnet is owned by BT, I assume ? So you wouldn't be actually leaving BT..
I live for the nights that I can't remember / with the people that I can't forget

Neil Anderson is off-line
11 December 2013 10:42
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Using the e-mail service provided by your isp makes life rather difficult if you want to change isp.
It is relatively cheap to buy your own domain and thus e-mail, or alternatively share all your details with google in return for a 'free' e-mail.

In my experience Plusnet do what it says on the tin.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

11 December 2013 13:55
twentytwenty
Photographer

Thank you, I never realized BT owned Plusnet. which makes me wonder why their charges are so high compared to Plusnet, Any way I have decided to switch to plus net, get unlimited and save £18 per month

4EverYoung is off-line
11 December 2013 16:20
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

i get my bt email straight through outlook never go on their home page
I have never failed But i have discovered thousands of approches which don't work.

Matthew G is off-line
12 December 2013 06:22
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Quote from TheShinyOne
Er, you know that Plusnet is owned by BT, I assume ? So you wouldn't be actually leaving BT..

It is owned by BT but it's a completely different company that does not seem to have any links with them apart from the fact that they are owned by them and they seem to be able to get an engineer out to you very very quickly should they wish to. I've been with originally Force 9 and then it was taken over by Plusnet since pretty much day one. There have been a few little niggles but for the main part I find them very good. They have UK base call centre that is based in Sheffield and I've never had a call routed elsewhere. Their technical knowledge is not bad at all and their packages are fairly reasonable. Of course it doesn't really matter who your provider is, unless you're on cable then everything goes through BT Openreach. Any BT engineer now tells you that they aren't BT. They are Openreah. On their vans and uniforms it says Openreach - a BT company! :-) 

Paul White is off-line
17 January 2014 15:38
PureWhitePhotography
Photographer
PureWhitePhotography
Berkshire
Reading

Bit late to thi s conversation, but I would highly recommend Zen Internet www.zen.co.uk, slightly more pricy but rock solid with easy knowledgable uk support.

26 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray catherinewilliams Charley1986 ElleLaura fionajane xamberx
bbphotos Blancho dorrian edb ellessephotography Flanders ignite jas Kjoservices Mike103 Oberonfoto Peterashuk philippahh prestigephil stevegosh steveh32 Steveharratt tms
grailmodels
harbourstudio