Reminder Secure

Police deleted his photos

11 December 2013 06:15
johnlp
Photographer

Surely, the sensible approach would have been to go to the photographer, explain the situation and ask him to delete the images in question. If I'm doing street scenes and got asked by a member of the public not to photograph them, or remove an image they were in, I'd have no hesitation. Occasionally a model will ask me to remove an image because it has shown a little too much, and I know that I could, if I wanted, get them back, but really, why bother?

Mr D is off-line
11 December 2013 10:08
Darkstudent
Photographer
Darkstudent
Lancashire
Manchester

if no crime was comited surely taking the memory card and deleting the images is two counts of theft.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
11 December 2013 10:15
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Darkstudent
if no crime was comited surely taking the memory card and deleting the images is two counts of theft.

Surely it would be one case of theft and another of criminal damage.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Neil Anderson is off-line
11 December 2013 10:52
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from Darkstudent

The memory card was returned (and there was no 'intention to permanently deprive' so that can't be theft.

As this case relates to a decision by the Police ombudsman for Northern Island I wouldn't really regard it as a particularly strong precendent. It certainly isn't 'case law'
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Don is off-line
13 December 2013 12:21
DonMacKay
Photographer
DonMacKay
West Yorkshire
Keighley

Remember that the police are human beings too. He made a mistake and will likely be discplined (whatever form that may take). I think that the real issue here is a lack of specific training. As we see time and again, the police do get it wrong with regards to a photographer's activities, but so do some photographers.

Tony Nutley is off-lineGold Member
14 December 2013 06:17
TonyNutley
Photographer
TonyNutley
Hampshire
Southampton/Littlehampton

Quote from DonMacKay
Remember that the police are human beings too. He made a mistake and will likely be discplined (whatever form that may take). I think that the real issue here is a lack of specific training. As we see time and again, the police do get it wrong with regards to a photographer's activities, but so do some photographers.

We are talking a different world here, stop talking about it as if it's Finchley, it's not it's Northern Ireland. This year alone at least one policeman has been killed, several have been targetted, several bombs have been placed of which some at least have gone off including one last night, in these situations certain 'uman rights' have to suffer somewhat, if it were your neighbourhood you'd demand it.

If any dumb happy snapper decides to photograph a policeman he's almost certainly going to his collar felt, even if he's let go soon after, they are obviously going to check him and the pictures out, so he lost a few tough.

Aegean is off-lineSilver Member
18 December 2013 01:46
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

And, hypothetically, did the policeman realise that the iPad in the photographer's backpack was wirelessly twinned with the camera and had made a backup of all images in real-time? With SLR cameras like the new Nikon D5300 now having built in Wi-Fi it is going to be even harder to stop 'illicit' pictures being taken. The bad guys can just shoot whilst an accomplice records backup copies of the images from 30 ft away.

And with mobile phones with 42MP sensors who needs an SLR?

I use an Eye-Fi card as one of my memory cards in my D7000 and this transmits the full JPEG to the iPad whilst the 2nd memory card records the RAW images. Wiping the cards is not enough nowadays.

I suspect that in future you will see the Plod confiscating your iPad and iPhone etc. as well, even if they were not visible at the time! I suggest that you keep them password protected folks so the 'bobby on the beat' cannot just read all the content!

www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

Paul Hodson is off-line
18 December 2013 02:13
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from AegeanSoft
And, hypothetically, did the policeman realise that the iPad in the photographer's backpack was wirelessly twinned with the camera and had made a backup of all images in real-time? With SLR cameras like the new Nikon D5300 now having built in Wi-Fi it is going to be even harder to stop 'illicit' pictures being taken. The bad guys can just shoot whilst an accomplice records backup copies of the images from 30 ft away.

And with mobile phones with 42MP sensors who needs an SLR?

I use an Eye-Fi card as one of my memory cards in my D7000 and this transmits the full JPEG to the iPad whilst the 2nd memory card records the RAW images. Wiping the cards is not enough nowadays.

I suspect that in future you will see the Plod confiscating your iPad and iPhone etc. as well, even if they were not visible at the time! I suggest that you keep them password protected folks so the 'bobby on the beat' cannot just read all the content!

You wait until they start confiscating your "cloud" too
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Anette0726 charlotte90 ElleLaura Exoticangel kate_anne lourabern natasha_1992 Tom84
antoinewynn CalTeg digimarx Djanimation djb1 dorrian duncanjames edb Gdpics Greedy80 Ian_Walker ian201050 Ladiesman lify philippahh poah Poss powerbook92 Rupert thelook vapourtrail
photo39