http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25308224

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
10 December 2013 09:03
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Legal issues/copyright aside, drom a forensic point of view the police officer has effectively 'tampered' with the evidence/scene of crime by requesting deletion in the first place.

It'd be like pulling someone over in their car for suspected drug offenses/kidnapping/murdedr but telling them to vacuum the car out while waiting for the towing lorry prior to detailed investigation.

Stupid.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
10 December 2013 14:53
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Also quite difficult to actually delete images in most cases can be quite easily be recovered, Was the police officer in question trying to hide something?

Matthew G is off-line
10 December 2013 15:34
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

That is a very good incident to happen as I would imagine that effectively it serves as case law. However you can see why (particularly in Northern Ireland) (which I love as a place and love the people) with the threat of terrorism quite high that a police officer would suspect that someone taking photographs of him filling his car up with fuel may possibly want them for terrorism purposes... Of course that is just an initial view with the facts given in the news story.

But as I said, It is a good thing to happen.

Tony Nutley is off-lineGold Member
10 December 2013 16:05
TonyNutley
Photographer
TonyNutley
Hampshire
Southampton/Littlehampton

I have to say that if I were a police officer in Northern Ireland and saw someone take my picture whilst I was filling my car with petrol I'd be very suspicious .

Why would you take a picture of a policeman filling his car with petrol?

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
10 December 2013 16:48
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Quote from TonyNutley
Why would you take a picture of a policeman filling his car with petrol?

Stock?

Maybe he was really photogenic? frown

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
10 December 2013 17:23
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Or maybe the photographer was just taking pictures of the area.

He did not realise that there was police officer filling his car at the pump.

After the incident, if no crime was committed then the photographer should have gotten all of his property back.

Including the pictures.

Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

Strober is off-line
10 December 2013 19:06
Strober
Photographer
Strober
Cheshire
Manchester

+1 Remember were talking Northern Irleand here and not England, terrorists even use facebook in order to confirm the identity of british soldiers serving over there. Not only that but the Northern Ireland Police (previous RUC) has had more officers killed from terrorist attacks than any other Police Force in the UK.

Yes the officer was wrong to delete his photos, but we have to remember the country that we are talking about here, taking photographs like this does fall under the Anti Terrorism act i.e. every morning Officer A leaves his house at 08:00am to take his children to school. 08:30 Officer A drops kids off at school, at 09:00 hrs Officer A pulls up to a service station and fills up has car with petrol. so you see.... the officer was correct about his own safety.

The photographer can only put this down to experience, yes the officer was wrong to delete his images, but to be honest with you all, again it's not like it's England where the officers are walking around dealing with crimes such as mountain bikes being nicked.

Instead these Northern Irish officers are walking around in constant threat of being shot by the Real IRA for being a Serving Catholic member of the police service(traitor in the RIRA eyes) in a British Police Force etc...

Guys you have heard of the term I'm a photographer not a terrorist, but really how is an officer in Ulster really supposed to believe that you are what you say you are ? You not remember them two British soldiers that were killed of late by the RIRA ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Massereene_Barracks_shooting

Quote from MG
That is a very good incident to happen as I would imagine that effectively it serves as case law. However you can see why (particularly in Northern Ireland) (which I love as a place and love the people) with the threat of terrorism quite high that a police officer would suspect that someone taking photographs of him filling his car up with fuel may possibly want them for terrorism purposes... Of course that is just an initial view with the facts given in the news story.

But as I said, It is a good thing to happen.

www.strober.co.uk

Profile Pictures is off-line
10 December 2013 19:49
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Credit to the police where the justly follow and uphold the law. In this instance, whilst a police officer may take your camera as evidence if he suspects it's involved in a crime having happened or about to happen, he's not allowed to delete the pictures and he's not going to quote any anti terrorism ruling without absolutely compelling evidence to do so. Check out the met police advice to photographers and you'll see the instructions about this were revised. In practical terms, the law is their to be obeyed by all, it's not a coppers job to make it up as he goes along. Credit to those who are honest and brave to serve their community honestly though.

Matthew G is off-line
10 December 2013 21:39
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

I would just add that having spent a huge amount of time in Southern Ireland and been to Northern Ireland too, the Irish are the friendliest nation that you'll ever come accross, both north and south. I was very apprehensive about going for the first time as i had visions of a terrible war ruined country but it's really not like that at all. It is overall a very beautiful part of the Umited Kingdom, with a lot of friendly folk... It just has a few problems still. I would not want to portray it in any bad light but my point and others are very valid.... But again I repeat that it clears up the law. I

36 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Bluesapphire dillon1993 Krystald RobynJayne toxicinnocence
63jian Boosh D_H_P djb1 fannmore GlasgowPhotographer IanHighlander James7799 Jamesrichards john_at_tina_spice JohnWindsor jpegster lester2705 liteangle MauricesImagery midnite Musicman muz nemesis OTM_teresa philippahh photomart rembrandt Rhadamanthus rod_m99 rscott360 Scotography Sp_digital streetmodel trampmajor Willy_O