Reminder Secure

MPs to get 11% Pay Rise

Rob Carter is off-line
08 December 2013 12:50
RobCarter
Photographer

Merseyside
Wirral

I don't post much but this has really angered me. Throughout the county public services are under squeeze because of governmental cuts. People are losing their jobs and are being hit with pay freezes and high energy bills. David Cameron says we are all in this together....except of course if you are a politician and about to receive an 11% pay rise. If you disagree please sign this and write to you local politician making your feelings clear. https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/david-cameron-stop-the-11-pay-rise-for-mps-salaries

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 December 2013 13:34
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

If you actually read the news properly you'll notice the pay rise has been approved by an independent body who are in charge of dictating the pay of MPs. Furthermore all three main party leaders are against it as well as many other MPs due to it being insensitive in the current climate but this body are insisting it is the right thing to do.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Simon Chan is off-line
08 December 2013 14:01
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Yet the MPs and PM himself already knew about this ages ago but in no hurry to change the law to overrule this independent body that set MPs pay. Now whoever it was to let independent body to set MPs pay I bet he/she is telling us they did that because they don't want to be seen as rewarding themselves inflation busting pay rise so now they can blame their wage rise on someone else.
I suggest all MPs accept just 1% pay rise like many ordinary public sector employees does and donate the rest of their pay increase to fuel bill hardship funds.

08 December 2013 14:27
Brian_Markie
Photographer

Propaganda will always breed contempt. Of course they will say the leaders are against it becaue it would be politically incorrect to agree with such an ambitious pay rise. All politicians have to be seen to be saying and doing the right things especially in the current climate. What you won't hear from all leaders is that they will be giving up their pay rise and relinquishing it to charity, because they like everyone are greedy. A simple fact of life.

Tony Stephenson is off-line
08 December 2013 14:27
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

When you get prima donna football players kicking a ball around that earn 20, 30, 40...times the annual wage of MP's and even the PM who have all the responsibility of looking after the country, it somehow puts their wages into perspective.

As RC has indicated, it's not the MPs who are seeking wage increases, it's the body in charge of setting their wages suggesting they accept it! 
www.le-femme.co.uk

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
08 December 2013 14:34
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Good. They should be paid a lot more.

No wonder we have such a bunch of no-hopers if the job pays less than doctors, accountants, dentists, managers - a whole range of professional but low risk occupations that don't carry the same amount of criticism or danger of being immediately unemployed that politics does.

Simon Chan is off-line
08 December 2013 14:51
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

I might be wrong but notice not many former MPs joins the dole queu. I'm sure many of them after they leave office end up as directors of companies and consultant for banks and corporations. Ever heard of "revolving doors"?

Tony Stephenson is off-line
08 December 2013 15:11
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from Chandos
I might be wrong but notice not many former MPs joins the dole queu. I'm sure many of them after they leave office end up as directors of companies and consultant for banks and corporations. Ever heard of "revolving doors"?

There are many MPs who would be far better off working in other jobs than through the salary they receive for being an MP.  In fact many give up well paid jobs just to become MPs.

www.le-femme.co.uk

Simon Chan is off-line
08 December 2013 15:39
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from tonycsm
There are many MPs who would be far better off working in other jobs than through the salary they receive for being an MP.  In fact many give up well paid jobs just to become MPs.

Once upon a time only those who are very rich can be expected to run as MPs. In theory they cant be bribed and not in it for the money. I can't say the same for many of the current crop. Many MPs are in there for networking, creating favourable conditions through legislations they were involved in that favours themselves when they leave office and join these industries they helped while in public office.

A list of some former MPs that left offices from the last general election
http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2011/12/14/analysis-former-mps-where-are-they-now/

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
09 December 2013 10:45
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Can anyone tell me why the pay that MPs get has anything to do with the state of the economy?

I'd quite like competent MPs and these days they are not normally independently wealthy so they need pay and need to find the job attractive.

They have their pay set by an independent body based on the rate they would get for comparable jobs.

The economy is affected by international markets and Treasury policy. Not MPs.

So what's the deal about coming down on MPs pay? I genuinely don't get it.

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Cody SophieLouise1991 tim Zadi
antoinewynn chriscooze ChrisD claypaws cliffc david1500 duncanjames grahamsphotography James7799 Ladiesman Leztec MIB modelboutique modjo30 Npick1 plaatjesmaker rscott360 shinywear stevegosh Stoker w4pictures will_i_am
tim