Nelson Mandela

w4pictures is off-line
05 December 2013 20:02
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Like many, I don't have much time for politicians. But I do feel moved by the passing of Nelson Mandela because he appeared to be, that rarity, a genuine statesman. Those qualities of compassion, forgiveness and generosity understandably guaranteed him a place on the world's stage. Especially in troubled South Africa, but also in the wider world, long may his legacy last.

Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
05 December 2013 20:05
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

Well said. I totally agree.
As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

Chosin is a moderatorPlatinum Member
06 December 2013 03:23
Chosin
Model
Chosin
Hampshire

Legend and truly inspirational.....R.I.P
I am old enough to say I have done it, and still young enough to do it again! ;}

click_gotcha is off-line
06 December 2013 05:20
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

A truly great man, the world is a poorer place this morning. RIP.

06 December 2013 09:53
silverk
Photographer

Whilst in his later life he did achieve something special, lets not forget he was the Commander of the ANC military wing. He may not have pulled the trigger or planted the bomb directly but he was still responsible for deaths of innocents prior to his jail term!

Are we more forgiving because his crimes were done before a lot of us were born or because a few pop stars and celebrities said he was brill? I am not questioning that he was influential in the direction that SA took but lets be a little more realistic over just how saintly this person was, stop glossing over his crimes and let the hypocrasy end!

click_gotcha is off-line
06 December 2013 10:13
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

Quote from silverk
Whilst in his later life he did achieve something special, lets not forget he was the Commander of the ANC military wing. He may not have pulled the trigger or planted the bomb directly but he was still responsible for deaths of innocents prior to his jail term! Are we more forgiving because his crimes were done before a lot of us were born or because a few pop stars and celebrities said he was brill? I am not questioning that he was influential in the direction that SA took but lets be a little more realistic over just how saintly this person was, stop glossing over his crimes and let the hypocrasy end!

To understand what went on at the time you have to understand how opressed the people were.  Blacks in SA had no vote, but it didn't end there.  when they organised to protest they were banned from forming political organistaions.  When they protested peacefully they were slaughtered.  The ANC tried every peaceful means they could to challenge apartheid and every time were met with new legislation banning whatever it was they were trying and more slaughter.  In the end they had no alternative but to meet violence with violence.  Nelson Mandela then spent 27 years in jail and when he was finally freed he came out and met his enemies as friends when it would ahve been all too easy to stir up retribution.    He took a nation on the brink and united it at a time when most thought it would end in civil war.  

Neil Anderson is off-line
06 December 2013 12:42
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from silverk
Whilst in his later life he did achieve something special, lets not forget he was the Commander of the ANC military wing. He may not have pulled the trigger or planted the bomb directly but he was still responsible for deaths of innocents prior to his jail term!

Are we more forgiving because his crimes were done before a lot of us were born or because a few pop stars and celebrities said he was brill? I am not questioning that he was influential in the direction that SA took but lets be a little more realistic over just how saintly this person was, stop glossing over his crimes and let the hypocrasy end!

So tell us: were his crimes better or worse than the annihilation of Dresden or Hiroshima?

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

06 December 2013 13:15
silverk
Photographer

Quote from stolenfaces

So tell us: were his crimes better or worse than the annihilation of Dresden or Hiroshima?

What either of those events have to do with my initial statement is beyond me, had you read my post thoroughly you would have seen that I acknowledged his contribution to modern day SA but was expressing MY opinion that news reporting was glossing over some of his past ergo making him saintlier than he actually was!

Frank Sinnott is off-line
06 December 2013 14:30
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

Quote from silverk
What either of those events have to do with my initial statement is beyond me, had you read my post thoroughly you would have seen that I acknowledged his contribution to modern day SA but was expressing MY opinion that news reporting was glossing over some of his past ergo making him saintlier than he actually was! [/

We've lost a great man yet we still have the likes of you.  There's simply no justice.  Just ask yourself if Hitler had managed to invade this country.  Would you then regard the freedom fighters that would have followed as murderers.  Would you describe the French resistance as muderers.   Would you desribe de Valera as a muderer.   If you can say the whites in South Africa  had the right to be in power and surpress the indigenous people.  Then you have a case alas it is clear to me you have not.   No one doubts Mandela the freedom fighter without understanding what little choice he and every South African had to fight against the injustice of white rule.  Peaceful protest was never an option.   A giant has died but little people like you well Mandela would forgive you.  I just wished you used your head.

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
06 December 2013 15:14
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

I watched an Arnie Schwarzenegger film the other night called Collateral Damage. The film started with Arnie's wife and child waiting for him outside a restaurant, when a terrorist bomb exploded, killing them both. The perpetrator was a Colombian attempting to persuade the Americans to leave his country. I don't believe that certain types of violence, eg. terrorist bombings which kill indiscriminately, are justified in any circumstances, because innocent people including women and children also become victims. I have a vague recollection of my parents discussing bombs going off in S. Africa on the News all those years ago, - can anyone tell me whether the ANC resorted to this type of action or was it solely agitation, demonstration, and/or political assassinations? And whether or not N.M. was responsible or personally involved?

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
pinklilly
chandos FirstLifePhotography Nunude steveh32