Reminder Secure

Is there something I don't know?

This thread is being watched by 2 people
30 November 2013 05:25
Lisaliz
Model

If you're like me, you'll suddenly find more work coming in. It seems to have an odd momentum, either parched desert or torrential downpour. No simple explanation for it, so keep trying and I'm sure you'll be busy. You look lovely.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
30 November 2013 09:12
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Samantha - I notice you haven't put up any casting calls since July. May be worth a shot. Personally I often only find out I'm free at the very last moment, so I tend to browse casting calls rather than use the more time consuming approach of contacting people directly.

I can also empathise with RedChecker... it's a busy old time at the moment and I've had other calls on my cash that's kept me away from here.

As for emails... I try and reply where someone has contacted me personally, but when it's clear that the same email is going to a lot of other people I usually don't.

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
26 December 2013 16:44
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Quote from SamanthaAlexandra
 I was more thinking about companies and websites, there are many that my close modelling friends work for but when I contact them I get either no response or a no? And 2 days later they have a references off several models, just when they have told me they are not booking at the moment.

I can imagine how that might look, but please remember that when companies are planning their production schedules, there are always factors that aren't known to people outside of the company.  For example, shoots might be have been booked a long time ago; other models may have been chosen for very specific commercial reasons that won't be disclosed; and combinations of multiple models, locations, dates, and times often have to be fit in with eachother and you may be on the unlucky side of logistics.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

Amber West is off-line
27 December 2013 05:21
Amber6
Model
Amber6
Dumfries and Galloway

Quote from skymouse
I can imagine how that might look, but please remember that when companies are planning their production schedules, there are always factors that aren't known to people outside of the company.  For example, shoots might be have been booked a long time ago; other models may have been chosen for very specific commercial reasons that won't be disclosed; and combinations of multiple models, locations, dates, and times often have to be fit in with eachother and you may be on the unlucky side of logistics.

This is very true.  I work repeatedly with a couple paysites, and have done since I started (so been on about 10+ times, etc), often I am booked two/three months in advance, and while occasionally I have been drafted in last min if they have a cancellation, they often have quite a set rota they use.  Also, the main site I am on, they  get special requests, and members buy things they want to see certain models in, which means those models need to be booked asap.

Sav~ is off-lineGold Member
27 December 2013 07:33
SteveSav
Photographer
SteveSav
West Yorkshire
Sheffield/ Wakefield

There's nothing wrong with you, PS has changed over the years, there seems to be little in terms of common courtesy nowadays. Ignorance is bliss, times are tough & money is tight. I e-mail lots of models that don't reply, I can't guess how they perform, so when I am looking to hire a model they don't get a sniff!
You pick your blonde out neatly from the smoke, Always you wait for someone else though, always ~

Oliver Cook is off-line
28 December 2013 05:41
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Yep, I think its a combination of everything everyone has said. It is kind of like a 'perfect storm'. There is less money around in general due to the ongoing economic crisis (and talk of a 'recovery' should be taken with a pinch of salt. Sure, certain sectors and indicators are 'improving' but it won't go back to like it was - it will be a different kind of economy), rising living costs and stagnated or falling earnings are biting into people's discretionary spending (and as pointed out most photographers do it as a hobby), the monetary value of images is falling fast for most professional photographers due to a multitude of reasons, and on top of all that you have ever increasing over-saturation of supply (basically more models than you can 'shake a stick at'. Granted many are crap, as are many 'photographers', but there more there are the more difficult it becomes to chance upon the good ones).

If I could offer any advice at all it would be to market, market, market. You are stunning and have a great reputation so if there is any work available you should have a good chance of getting it. I'd totally book you myself, but these days I can't make any real money from my art (lots of people want my drawings and black and white framed 'arty' nude photographs for example, but they aren't willing to pay enough any longer - as in prices are dropping - to make it worthwhile me bringing them to market, so in turn I can't pay models any real money). It was always a tough industry but its getting tougher by the day. If you love it you will hang in there

Street Model is off-line
28 December 2013 06:18
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Essex
Upminster / All UK

Also, you have changed your appearance a lot since you started out, so some of the people who you worked with at the beginning might not include you in their working parameters now...

Judging by the number of photographers on the site now, compared to models (as I write now, there are 3½ times more photographers than models) and the 'professional status' of them (2/3 of the models hold Silver accounts or higher, less than 1/3 of the photographers are silver or above), the number of paying photographers is also probably dropping so fewer togs have money in their pocket.

Whereas I understand that modelling is your profession, I think fewer photographers are pure professional photographers on here now and so are just looking for TF where they can find it...
It could be Lupus.... It is NEVER Lupus!!

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
28 December 2013 08:43
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Well for amateur photographers like me the issue is money. I tried to arrange 4 paid shoots a year at an average cost of £700 in terms of model hire, studio hire, ancillary costs such as car hire and fuel costs etc.

However in August 2013 my income was cut by around £300 per month after tax. This was the £300 that I used for photography and other hobbies. Therefore this year I am stuck with Model Days and their limitations and only one or two all day shoots with the ideas that I want to try myself.

So that is why I am unable to shoot as much as I would like.

Also I am much more choosey about whom I work with. I always tried to get the best. However now I will choose from the small number of people I have worked with before. This is not likely to change until I get a higher income.

Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

grisey is off-line
28 December 2013 10:31
grisey
Photographer

Clwyd

My Take
1) ATVOD is hitting some websites hard and taking them down, this is only going to get harder, they go after people that upload to C4S and soon models that upload clips to adultwork. so the amateurs that maybe had some C4S stores don't any more and have no reason to shoot.

2)New girls into the industry will always be booked first over a rebook, Yes some fans request certain models but as skymouse says logistics and other combinations may not always fit in to what you have planned.

Web clients and magazines always want the new girl fresh face first and would rather have that over an establish models its sad but true and its 100% easier to work with establish models and you know they will turn up etc and not flake.

3) Webcam/adultwork is turning alot of models into "why do i want to shoot i can sit on webcam and make the same amount". I offered a girl £350 the other month for 5 hours shooting but as she would of had to travel she turned it down because she can sit on webcam and make the same money.

3.1) as they sit on webcam all day.... they put on weight ( its going to happen ), so now i have to request up to date pictures of models before booking them, if they don't provide recent pictures i don't book. so booking models is now a longer process then its ever been

It kinda puts a downer on the whole process of booking models now for me.

11 February 2014 14:02
GirlsAtHome
Photographer

Well I must say i know it's not a problem at your end! I think there are so many factors in this based around financials, availability, etc.

I have cut down to possibly one or 2 shoots a month and to be honest I am finding myself only looking for models who are close to my location. One of the biggest things I hate about this industry, is travel costs and expenses. ( I'm not saying you do this btw) know we have messaged a couple of times and I apologise for not arranging anything but I worked out it would probably cost me just as much to travel or cover you to me as the rate I'm paying you to shoot, and i would just rather pay a local model for more hours.

I am self employed and if I travel with work I get my VAT back and that's it. Some other models want 100% reimbursement for their travel and it actually puts me off booking a model sometimes.

I would like to add this is not my reflection on you or you as a model as I think you are great but I just wish you were closer lol!

Keep going at it and things like webcam can help significantly when shoots are short!
If this is work,then may I work long and hard!

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin lynnesel VictoriaClaire
Antz BOBREEVES BOZZ daseinphoto diphoto dorrian eyecandiphotography geoffmarchant HarishPadalia jimbob Johno1 markeos50d Moz777 normant Oberonfoto Pictureimage rscott360 steveh32 StuartCollinsPhoto Studio1 talldave68 Willy_O