Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
30 November 2013 08:04
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from johnlp
(By the way, over the last couple of months I've worked with 3 Poles, ! Czech, 1 Romanian and 1 Latvian, and they've all arrived immaculately dressed, with excellent make-up sense, with a good collection of attractive clothes, no belly rolls and have worked their socks off.)

Agree 100%

OldMaster is off-line
01 December 2013 08:42
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

And you believe anything written in the Mail. I am sure we will see a lot more Romanian and Bulgarian girls looking for modelling opportunity. ..just as we did with the Polish and Czech. And very beautiful and elegant most of them were to. I welcome this opportunity. ...I am currently working with a signed Romanian cat walk model who lives in the uk....she has 3 degrees as well as being multilingual. The best thing to do with all the tabloid trash is reduce your heating bills and burn the garbage!

Paul Hodson is off-line
01 December 2013 08:54
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from OldMaster
And you believe anything written in the Mail.

Who was that aimed at?
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Neil Anderson is off-line
01 December 2013 09:54
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from mph

Who was that aimed at?

Good question.
There seem to be two clear sides to this thread
a) those who broadly welcome the opportunity to work with models from anywhere in the world.
b) Darkstudent

So I would deduce that as the rest of his post falls into (a) he must be referring to (b) although the only poster who mentioned the Daily Mail was me (noting my assumption that (b) did read the Daily Mail and would hold the drivel printed therein as authorative)
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

01 December 2013 10:10
johnlp
Photographer

WHATEVER!

This is not the question I'm asking. Is there any way that this site, or photographers can think of to attract them, if they do exist, to join PS?

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
01 December 2013 10:37
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

Quote from RedChecker
I have a Romanian work colleague and she's degree qualified (architecture), speaks better English than most native plebs .........................

Er, I'm not sure we're allowed to use THAT word!

w4pictures is off-line
01 December 2013 10:45
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Quote from Kiboko
Er, I'm not sure we're allowed to use THAT word!

No, no. Its OK as long as you're not plod.

David Heels is off-line
01 December 2013 11:03
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

I'm another who would happily shoot anyone from anywhere in the world. Providing they are suitable.

HOWEVER, as with the influx of foreign labour in other areas of society, will the use of foreign models drive down the opportunities for indigenous models? Or lower wages/fees across the board? This might be good news for us photographers/employers, but potentially very bad news for local models. Perhaps there is an argument that we should support our local models, in the name of solidarity, rather than xenophobia or jingoism.

What if thousands of foreign photographers flooded over here? I wonder if they would be welcomed quite so whole-heartedly. Would we be looking for ways to encourage them to join PS?

No agenda. Just thinking out loud, and throwing it out there.
Dave

01 December 2013 11:27
johnlp
Photographer

Quote from Crippen
I'm another who would happily shoot anyone from anywhere in the world. Providing they are suitable. HOWEVER, as with the influx of foreign labour in other areas of society, will the use of foreign models drive down the opportunities for indigenous models? Or lower wages/fees across the board? This might be good news for us photographers/employers, but potentially very bad news for local models. Perhaps there is an argument that we should support our local models, in the name of solidarity, rather than xenophobia or jingoism. What if thousands of foreign photographers flooded over here? I wonder if they would be welcomed quite so whole-heartedly. Would we be looking for ways to encourage them to join PS? No agenda. Just thinking out loud, and throwing it out there. Dave

I'd welcome more photographers.  Then more models could make a living out of the work, and there would be more to choose from.

I'm under no illusions as to why I'm able to "attract" so many models.  It's not my good looks, my extensive studio (don't have one), my ability to get them published, the wide range of images I can get for their porfolio; it's, to bend a phase, the money stupid.  And if I'm going to shell out hard earned cash I want as wide a range of models as possible.  I have had only one negative shoot with a model from the rest of Europe and no cancellations, and whilst the majority of shoots with UK models have also been very good, there have been some glaring exceptions.  If the rates reduce then yes, great, I'll be able to do longer shoots or more shoots, but the pot will stay the same, and just maybe more photographers will be attracted in and the total pot of money will increase.

I think there is a critical (low) mass beneath which the modelling/photography sites will struggle to survive.  More people, means more opportunities both for models and photographers.

ChrisS is off-line
01 December 2013 14:02
TheChrisS
Photographer

Cambridgeshire

I'm sure professional photographers would not welcome potential competition into their country... on another note not all immigrants are here for cash in hand jobs, you cant stereotype. For all we know there could be Purestormers doing exactly the same illegal thing.

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Jessicaliu1993 mandymack
AndyGStudios antoinewynn antonart bilingbo BobWright Daddylonglense flawless_photo GlasgowPhotographer gshocker30 ImageStyle Kjoservices Ladiesman metro michael_cameraman mlp philippahh Rare1953 rscott360 Steveharratt Thunder_Photos Zuiko
grailmodels