Reminder Secure

I'm Looking For A Cheaper Broadband Package!

Tony Stephenson is off-line
26 November 2013 19:37
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Hi guys...I've been lazy up to now but I'm finally looking to cut the costs of my Broadband which is currently supplied by Orange ( or whatever it's called now ) - I currently pay £25 per month plus the BT phoneline which is something like £16pm.plus extra for calls that I may make during the day etc which makes it come out at nearly £20pm! 

I get unlimited BB but it's only running at 2.88 Mb down and 0.3Mb up so it's hardly quick and when it's a busy period it's throttling back even more.

I've been looking for a cheaper package as I don't need anything super-fast... is anyone on here using " plusnet " ? 

They currently have a 12 month package on offer which includes line rental + anytime calls and unlimited broadband at up to 16Mb for just £21.99pm which seems a good deal but it's whether or not it's reliable?

Does any of you use Plusnet and how do you find them as a supplier or there other reasonably priced options which are equally as good?

Thanks in advance ...

Tony 

www.le-femme.co.uk

Anthonygh is off-line
26 November 2013 19:58
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Three Mobile do a sim only phone package at around £15 pm which offers unlimited data....so if you can tether your phone with your computer / ipad etc then that is one way to go.

I have a Three sim (different package) and the data speed is much the same as the Three dongle I also have. That is available at £16 pm with a 15 GB limit....there are cheaper plans as well. I think you can try them on a monthly rolling contract but at a pro rata higher price.

If you have a laptop the dongle turns it into a wi-fi hotspot that can be used anywhere so another advantage....or you can buy a cheap 3G router and do the same.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2433;jsessionid=BC7F7990288D5B35C9E0187B96DD32BB

Neil Anderson is off-line
26 November 2013 20:47
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

I have found Plusnet to be good.
Clear instructions by e-mail and help on website and competent support.
The supplied router is a bit cheap and broke after a couple of years.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

theperfectgentleman is off-line
26 November 2013 20:56
theperfectgentleman
Photographer
theperfectgentleman
Essex
Chelmsford

Hi I have 3 on my mobile and there is a sim only package @£6-99 per month, I has limitations on it but I have never run out yet.
It's a monthly notice twelve month min contract.
Well worth a look.

27 November 2013 03:40
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from stolenfaces
I have found Plusnet to be good. Clear instructions by e-mail and help on website and competent support. The supplied router is a bit cheap and broke after a couple of years.

Thanks Neil ... just what I wanted to know.

How does it compare to your previous supplier ( assuming you had one of course)?

www.le-femme.co.uk

27 November 2013 04:19
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from anthonyh
Three Mobile do a sim only phone package at around £15 pm which offers unlimited data....so if you can tether your phone with your computer / ipad etc then that is one way to go. I have a Three sim (different package) and the data speed is much the same as the Three dongle I also have. That is available at £16 pm with a 15 GB limit....there are cheaper plans as well. I think you can try them on a monthly rolling contract but at a pro rata higher price. If you have a laptop the dongle turns it into a wi-fi hotspot that can be used anywhere so another advantage....or you can buy a cheap 3G router and do the same. http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2433;jsessionid=BC7F7990288D5B35C9E0187B96DD32BB

Hi Anthony - thanks for the reply.
Actually, I really want landline BB but my mobile phone service provider is also on my hit-list - again I've been paying far too much and I'm going to reduce that bill too. Virgin do a sim-only for £15 with unlimited internet & texts plus 1200 minutes which is less than half I've been paying and the phone reception is very good in my area which is unusual.

I've just yesterday negotiated with my household insurer before the policy renewal to match some of the offers from other companies and I've just saved nearly £180 on the annual premium with some extra goodies thrown in so I'm on a bit of a roll!frown
Actually, you've got me thinking... how do I tether a phone in order to get an internet connection to the computer? - the reason I ask is that I have a sited caravan in a remote location up north which I use for short breaks during the summer.... the phone signal is quite good even on my old iPhone 3GS and the package has unlimited data. It would be handy to be able to hook up my old laptop just for when I'm up there!

www.le-femme.co.uk

Neil Anderson is off-line
27 November 2013 05:42
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from tonycsm
Thanks Neil ... just what I wanted to know.

How does it compare to your previous supplier ( assuming you had one of course)?

It's difficult to compare as I signed up to my previous supplier just as ADSL became affordable and it was still quite problematic. But plusnet was very easy to set-up and transfer smooth. When I had the issue of the broken router I was able to communicate with their people (who advised me they'd give me another 'free' router if I signed for another years contract. This is only my back up service though, as I have 60Mb Virgin.

All my dealings with them have suggested competence and as advertised they have their call-centre in Yorkshire.

On IOS7 you can tether an iphone by using 'Personal Hotspot' in the settings menu, not sure how many ios versions that goes back. Check that tethering is covered in your unlimited data, it used to be common to charge extra for tethered data.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Anthonygh is off-line
27 November 2013 05:43
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

It is quite simple if you have a smartphone....in the menu you normally navigate: settings>wireless & networks>tethering&hotspot> then enable Portable wi-fi hotspot.

When you have done that you will have to go down to Configure wi-fi hotspot, where you will find a password...when you pick up the wi fi on your computer or tablet you need this password to make the connection.

I don't have an iPhone but I showed my daughter how to set hers to tethering some months back and it was pretty intuitive although my experience with Android probably gave me a sense of what to look for...can't remember how I did it however.

I looked at the Virgin Sim offer....I think the Three sim is better and you might find the Virgin definition of unlimited data doesn't include tethering....whereas with Three it does.

I personally can't see the point in having a land line anymore....I gave up mine 12 yrs ago and although there were times at the beginning where it was missed the whole mobile experience is just so much better and cheaper now...although the faster speeds are currently only available to landline BB....but this is changing as well.

Peter Hague is off-line
27 November 2013 06:42
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Do you have Sky TV? Add their BB package for £7.50, no limits, no throttling. Never had a problem with them.

As for mobile, I use Three's One plan 2000min, (+5000 3-to-3mins) 5000 texts, unlimited (genuinely) data, and the ability to tether. £15/m on contract, £18 without.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Paul Hodson is off-line
27 November 2013 09:52
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from stolenfaces

It's difficult to compare as I signed up to my previous supplier just as ADSL became affordable and it was still quite problematic. But plusnet was very easy to set-up and transfer smooth. When I had the issue of the broken router I was able to communicate with their people (who advised me they'd give me another 'free' router if I signed for another years contract. This is only my back up service though, as I have 60Mb Virgin.

All my dealings with them have suggested competence and as advertised they have their call-centre in Yorkshire.

On IOS7 you can tether an iphone by using 'Personal Hotspot' in the settings menu, not sure how many ios versions that goes back. Check that tethering is covered in your unlimited data, it used to be common to charge extra for tethered data.

I have the 3GS - it's settings/personal on IOS 5 which I am still using. Tethering is allowed on my very cheap T-Mobile contact
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexis92 Brightonblonde heather94 lynnesel tim toniallcorn
ad360photo azurphotos bsmithesq clarmike Creativedge david1500 freddie gordon gshocker30 jackw Jb3329 keltica markeos50d Mattcairns metro MIB moritz78 peteb philippahh poah skymouse snooper911 Steveh32 TinDolls
tim