Models who expect me to pay them for their portfolio upgrade

Barney Douglas is off-line
24 November 2013 04:49
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
West Sussex
Worthing

Sorry everyone ... no I'm not sorry at all ...  I just have to have a moan this morning about the number of models who post castings asking the photographer to pay them, because they want specific images for their portfolio.

Models, if I pay you it is because either:
  • I have been commissioned to shoot a specific job which requires a specific image or set of images for a specific purpose.  I get paid by the client.  I pay you to model for that job; or
  • I have a specific need for images for my profile / website / portfolio and you, the model, meets that specific need.
Yesterday's shoot was a male model in a tux and a top hat for a USA marketing agency.  I paid the model for his time, the same as I am paying the Photoshop artist for her time, and the client is paying me.

Models - if you want images for your profile then please be prepared to pay for:
  • My shooting time,
  • My studio time,
  • My heating bill,
  • My equipment and public liability insurance
  • My equipment maintenance
  • My travel time, and most of all
  • My knowledge of this industry learned over thirty years.
I am, no doubt, not the best photographer here, but please, models, if you want something to enhance your portfolio, then be prepared to pay for it, or at the very least offer collaboration that makes it worth the photographer's time..
"Simplicity in Photography for over 25 Years"

raw and the cooked is off-line
24 November 2013 04:57
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

Many times this kind of 'casting call' is just a marketing ploy, dressed up as an idea to encourage the clueless. Try and remember, it isn't about art or portfolio improvement, just parting photographers from cash. That is all.

I doubt they really 'need' the kind of shot they want you to pay for!

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
24 November 2013 05:54
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from bdfoto
I just have to have a moan this morning about the number of models who post castings asking the photographer to pay them, because they want specific images for their portfolio.

Why moan Barney? Remember that these casting calls aren't aimed at you and me, but at the snappers who want or need to pay models with those models also coming up with the ideas for them. There are plenty of snappers who are more than willing to feed that particulat market. They call them hobbyists, and I bet your studio sees its fair share of them so don't knock them.
Bob

Neil Anderson is off-line
24 November 2013 07:09
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

It must be a terrible headache for you having to read all those castings for people you don't want to shoot.
Don't you also think it's awful that there are a lot of models up north who won't travel to the south coast or even London without expecting you to pay big expenses (or sometimes at all).
What a waste of a perfectly good casting system if models just post castings that don't interest you!!
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

24 November 2013 07:25
snapychapy
Photographer

well said...the original post I mean

24 November 2013 07:53
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
West Sussex
Worthing

Quote from snapychapy
well said...the original post I mean

Thank you

24 November 2013 08:00
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
West Sussex
Worthing

Quote from bdfoto
... but please, models, if you want something to enhance your portfolio, then be prepared to pay for it, or at the very least offer collaboration that makes it worth the photographer's time..

... which is exactly what I am being asked for - and offer - by two very experienced published glamour models on another site.

24 November 2013 08:06
steve0664
Photographer

ill second that, for the op

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
24 November 2013 08:07
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

Quote from Bob
Why moan Barney? Remember that these casting calls aren't aimed at you and me, but at the snappers who want or need to pay models with those models also coming up with the ideas for them. There are plenty of snappers who are more than willing to feed that particulat market. They call them hobbyists, and I bet your studio sees its fair share of them so don't knock them.

Bob

Got to agree with this. Its just marketting...and a lot of these guys get a kick out of seeing their images on a models port even if they had to pay for the privilige. Cant blame the model for trying to make a buck.

Doesn't affect me or any other Pro photographer so why care?
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

24 November 2013 08:28
jessicard
Model

I thought we'd already established countless threads ago that some amateur photographers are happy to be given ideas to work with even if they are paying for the shoot and sometimes are even happy to present the model with images afterwards purely because they took the shots for fun! Why do people get so irate about this kind of thing - stop reading the castings and contact models who fit your brief directly.
http://jayerose.tumblr.com/

26 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa AnnThompson danixhale fashion29 latara_18 nicolay RISelene ryansd SuzyMonty Teela
Blancho Davebu firsttake Kjoservices marty55uk MIB moorlane natkins peterh ricciarelli Rscott360 rtmphoto Rule_of_Thumb RupertRudd shadowtime74 steveh32