Reminder Secure

Using a tripod in london

Chas Bell is off-line
17 November 2013 09:21
BellPortraits
Photographer

East Sussex
Eastbourne

I am hoping to do the London Photowalk with Matt Granger next Saturday and wondered what the rules are regarding using a tripod in London having heard there were various restrictions.

Seventy Percent Curves is off-line
17 November 2013 09:49
CliveLawrence
Photographer
CliveLawrence
Hampshire
Farnborough

Are you doing long exposures? If not, you don't need a tripod - just wind up the ISO. The tripod will make you more conspicuous, inviting attention.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
17 November 2013 10:21
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Tripods are classed as obstructions and you'll be asked to move along if anyone sees it.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
17 November 2013 11:52
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

When I spoke to westminster council about a shoot they gave permission to shoot but not using a tripod, that would need a licence and there was a scale of charges depending on the amount of people/equipment involved. I shot for free (no tripod) with their clearance but ran into issues when we strayed onto crown property, police did move us along although were very sympathetic, giving us time to finish and move along, Crown property includes several parks and key areas for some of those iconic pictures, then remember as well there's no one London authority that can give you total clearance you'd have to approach each Borough Council accordingly.

Dominic

Laurence Power is off-line
18 November 2013 05:22
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

I've certainly used a tripod on town with a Gandolfi 5 x 4, but to avoid problems, how about using a monopod. A formula used by many people is that the slowest shutter speed one should handhold is "one over the focal length" - 50mm lens = 1/30th or 1/60, 200mm lens = 1/125 or 1/250. Using a monopod one divides the focal length by 4, hence 50mm lens = 1/8th or 1/15. (I'm old school and can't remember the speeds between used by modern cameras).

Personally the lowest I've gone (whilst getting a decent result) is 1/8th with an 85mm, which is really pushing it, but beaten by my brother 1 sec, albeit he was leaning against a pillar in a church.
Laurence J. Power

18 November 2013 05:53
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from LaurenceJPower
I've certainly used a tripod on town with a Gandolfi 5 x 4,

I have a sneaky feeling you'll have less issues with a large format camera because of Joe Public's perceptions of how good they are and what they may be used for.  Get out an SLR and they'll instantly think paparazzi or surveilance which in turn makes people uneasy.

And it's not just police & the public you have to worry about, security guards (in banks & the like) tend to get very nervous if you have a camera or are hanging around the area, especially in The City (even without a tripod).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

MissTy Moore is off-line
18 November 2013 06:06
MisstyMoore
Model
MisstyMoore
Essex
Chelmsford

Also if someone trips over you or your tripod you could require public liability insurance too !!

18 November 2013 06:12
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from MisstyMoore
Also if someone trips over you or your tripod you could require public liability insurance too !!

That's a favourite lunchtime hobby of lawyers in London so I've heard.  I used to work for a construction firm (crane hire) and we were forever being fleeced by 'clumsy' lawyers who'd manage to trip/injure themselves on bits of equipment.

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
18 November 2013 07:41
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Quote from LaurenceJPower
I've certainly used a tripod on town with a Gandolfi 5 x 4, but to avoid problems, how about using a monopod.

Westminster City council where adamant a monopod made no difference and wouldn't sanction it either without a licence agreement with them, meaning a fee required.

18 November 2013 07:48
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from dominicdgt
Westminster City council where adamant a monopod made no difference and wouldn't sanction it either without a licence agreement with them, meaning a fee required.

Westminster are an exception of sorts, not only due to the sensitivity of it being associated with government and some of the richest tennants in London but also most of it is privately owned.

If you ask about these things though of councils, they will invariably suggest you pay a fee.  Your best approach (if you insist on having a tripod) is probably to look touristy and plead ignorance (and make it quick)

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
DareMeDD harryking kategrimsby RoxyMendez ryansd
andrewf antoinewynn chicimages D_H_P dannyrich david1500 djb1 dorrian GGDP_Photography gperl ignite Ladiesman mlp parafotos penfold10 psn redmedia Studio1 Thunder_Photos
harbourstudio