This thread is being watched by 1 person
Jonathan is off-line
17 November 2013 05:19
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Hi every-one,
                      I just saw this BBC article about the photographer 'Jason Bell' and his top 10 tips for being a photographer.

Thought it was fairly interesting so perhaps have a look ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24954370

The title of this thread was taken from 'Tip No: 7' incidentally !

Thanks then.

Jonathan.

Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

John Allen is off-line
17 November 2013 06:18
CanonpicsParayphotos
Photographer

Somerset
Wells

Some very sound observations in this article !

photo3 is a moderatorPlatinum Member
17 November 2013 13:25
photo3
Photographer
photo3
Kent
Rainham

Some excellent insights there.

He had the same grounding in the darkroom as me, except mine was at home and I had to clear out the room to develop stuff but it was always magical seeing an image come out of the developer tray.
Photography in Kent, Essex & Sussex. Visit our websites www.photo3.co.uk and new site www.models3.co.uk

Tim is a moderatorPlatinum Member
18 November 2013 16:26
Tim
Model
Tim
East Sussex
Brighton

Great article, a nice find and worth a read, Cheers!
many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
18 November 2013 16:50
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Like Photo3 I started in a darkroom, encouraged by my Dad and developed my first film, B+W , aged 4, me, not the film, then contact printed it. Like most from that background the 'magic' of seeing the image appear in the tray was photographic heroin. Though now transitioned to digital, mostly, I can't imagine the same feeling coming from " command P" as seeing the image in the developer.
Obviously many, possibly most, on here might never have experienced chemical photography, so I'm interested in hearing where people first found the 'buzz' from digital photography?

John Allen is off-line
18 November 2013 20:26
CanonpicsParayphotos
Photographer

Somerset
Wells

I used (and processed and printed) film of all kinds from 1947 till 2004. Initially wary of digital, I soon found it had many advantages. The clincher was a couple of years back - in a fit of nostalgia I rebuilt the darkroom, bought a Rolleicord, and spent some days re-living the way we used to do it......including making many of the old mistakes.

This was a very expensive exercise, and the results were so-so (interesting but not outstanding).

I then did it all again with my 5D - vastly superior results in minutes (or at most hours).

Nostalgia ain`t all it`s cracked up to be.

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
19 November 2013 15:46
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

Very interesting read but I found it hard to determine what his tips actually were. I was half expecting my No.1 tip for improving every-ones photography at a stroke, (which Charlie Waite & Joe Cornish would undoubtedly advocate), - to use a tripod, - to be there somewhere, - but it wasn't mentioned and nor were other techniques I half expected. I'm not really sure there were any actual tips, - for example, be a people person is not something one can just emulate is it! Nice to read the background about this photographer though, the media didn't really tell us much about him when they reported on the Christening shoot.

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Winterlilly
AaronKent Argentiq cygnet davidhunt djb1 For_Arts_Sake fotocreate gwentman imageatthemill john_at_tina_spice Ladiesman mackenzieking markeos50d mauricesimagery MrDL Njsphotography orca_photography oscar poah Redi sigmasd14 skymouse sniffer tonyg
matt