Ken Pegg is off-line
06 December 2013 17:07
kenp
Photographer
kenp
Dorset
Weymouth

Quote from Rawandthecooked
Yeah, rooms of ballons make the cut as well! And some people love an FPI. Personally, I enjoyed it when some bloke called Tony Snowdon gave me a Hasselblad ( crap camera though, not even digital!) of course this was all way before the inter web…….

Pathetic bit of self-promotion.

raw and the cooked is off-line
07 December 2013 04:30
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

What's the bet Kenp has Vogue Italia? Shout about it a lot do you? SWPP member perhaps? Actually the ballon/shed guy is a friend of mine……. The point is, while I am generally not one to rain on anyones parade, vogue italia is not vogue, it is not really an indicator of quality,as some highly dubious 'selections 'have proven, and is about as useful as SWPP, RPS, BIPP, and all those other letters after your name in the real world.

You can hate me for it if you like.Doesn't stop it from being true.

Profile Pictures is off-line
07 December 2013 06:25
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

If Ken has some Vogue it entries I'd say that reaffirms my impression of it being a worthy thing; ken after all, is probably one if the most gifted photographers I've encountered, despite his small portfolio on this site.

And yes, I have one, and it's gorgeous I think. Kirks shed is also a nice picture, so it's fair it got onto vogue it too!

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
07 December 2013 07:32
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

The point is, while I am generally not one to rain on anyones parade, vogue italia is not vogue

Never tell a wannabe emperor that his new clothes don't exist.

If those freely giving their images and copyright away to a massive publishing house (Conde Nast) by uploading them to what is effectively little more than a portfolio site like Purestorm (albeit a site that rejects some worthless images that users try to upload) think doing so is a good thing to do just leave them to it. Remember that some people get a buzz from impressing the impressionable by collecting sticky stars.

Bob

Profile Pictures is off-line
07 December 2013 08:58
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I'd rather give away all copyright than promote murderous weaponry.

Ken Pegg is off-line
07 December 2013 09:13
kenp
Photographer
kenp
Dorset
Weymouth

Quote from Bob
Never tell a wannabe emperor that his new clothes don't exist.

If those freely giving their images and copyright away to a massive publishing house (Conde Nast) by uploading them to what is effectively little more than a portfolio site like Purestorm (albeit a site that rejects some worthless images that users try to upload) think doing so is a good thing to do just leave them to it. Remember that some people get a buzz from impressing the impressionable by collecting sticky stars.

Bob

Don't let unsubstantiated prejudice stand in the way of a poorly expressed opinion.
Photovogue receives about 3000 submissions per day, of which approx 30 (1%) are selected for inclusion on their website.
Any images used subsequently are marketed through Arts and Commerce (Conde Nast's stock library) and paid for. On having an image accepted, you will receive a contract from Arts and Commerce, which regulates any sales of the image.
Whether any kudos is attached to having an image accepted is down to the individual, but it is more likely to result in a sale rather than displaying on a portfolio site.

http://photovogue.artandcommerce.com/

Mike Rhys is off-line
07 December 2013 15:47
tob
Photographer
tob
Germany
Hamburg

... vogue italia is not vogue, it is not really an indicator of quality ...

At least you should have done your homework, so I assume that you are referring to the US edition when talking about Vogue.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vogue Italia is the Italian edition of Vogue magazine. Owned by Condé Nast International, it is the least commercial of all editions of Vogue magazine[2] and has been called the top fashion magazine in the world.[3]
Its imagery is frequently shocking and provocative; according to the art director of British Vogue, its photographs "go beyond straight fashion to be about art and ideas".[1]

You might not see it as a quality indicator, but at least all accepted images make it past the editors, and more than 99% of all uploads are refused. How many images get refused on PS, as long as they are within the sites limits?

Quote from the vogue.it website:
If I want to work for Vogue, is this the right space to get myself noticed and make contact with the editorial staff?
Yes, PhotoVogue is the best way to submit your work to us. As we’ve said above, Vogue Italia is always looking for new talent, and has always been a showcase for excellence. So if you’re a photographer, an aspiring photographer, or you’re looking for a space when your work can be evaluated, assessed and displayed, PhotoVogue is right for you.

Quote from Bob
...If those freely giving their images and copyright away to a massive publishing house (Conde Nast) by uploading them…

A statement by one of their editors:
"... the right of all of the images, as well for the legal responsibilities of them, belong to the photographer, photovogue is just a way to showcase your work. the images can be published in other medium, of course."

Just my 2p…
Mike

raw and the cooked is off-line
08 December 2013 04:11
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

My point is this, get a couple of snaps past some firkin intern, on a non paying site, and all of a sudden, you are 'published by vogue', or ' vogue approved' ( yes I have seen guys making theses claims!)Anyone making such claims is a snake oil salesman of the highest order.That is all. though I do assume the odd decent snap does get through, even Kirky makes no claims for greatness for his shed snap!

Simon Chan is off-line
08 December 2013 04:34
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Not on the subject of "Vogue" and certainly not aiming at the poster, in fact welldone to the poster

I have come across chancers who because they had contributed by sending freeby pics or intend to send them to the BBC had use this ambiguity of working for the BBC to impress their clients and getting exclusive photo rights at gigs. In case anyone did'nt know the BBC especially their news and entertainment online service often request photos from members of the public for free. It does not mean they are under the employment by the corporation.

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
al_dun amaryllis Blonde94 Chaosoftrouble chloejade25 ElleLaura hazel_rose Kidane
Andy_B bbphotos bringingsexyback casell david1500 edb ellessephotography gadzooks2 gordon johnwayne jpegster kai_kul lenscape lenspoynter philippahh poah steveh32 tim_oh842 TonyNutley zackoloco