This thread is being watched by 2 people
G Jack B is off-line
10 November 2013 10:11
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

If you are working for the Hotel then yes they will require your equipment is in date for PAT testing but as pointed out the HSE guidelines are woolly. I am a qualified PAT tester, but anyone can do it if they feel able too. The periodicity is not fixed, as again this is up to the "responsible person" to decide.

Many many companies are fleeced every year but PAT Companies insisting on testing everything every year.

No certificate is ever issued, but yes a record is kept and the item often date marked and coded.

For your own equipment the best thing to do is to visual check all cables for knick and kinks and check the unit is not damaged. If it is double insulated (shown by the symbol of a square in a square) then you can then consider the item PAT tested. If it is not then it would need an electrical test.

Most laptops, chargers (phone/camera etc), mains vibrators & electric power tools are double insulated which is why the hotel do not check personal items. However extension leads will always need an electrical test.

Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

raw and the cooked is off-line
14 November 2013 03:00
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

Why would you think the op is working for the hotel? Clearly, you must be a PAT tester, because when i rock up to a shoot with 3 or 4 speed lights or my Eli ranger quadra. I am not thinking about a PAT test! And no client has ever asked me for one!

ken george is off-line
14 November 2013 04:26
kgp
Photographer
kgp
Clwyd
N.Wales & Merseyside

Quote from magpie1
Hotels and public places I work in do require such documentation. As well as a responsibility to their staff there is also a responsibility to their guests. The onus is to show that one has taken reasonable measures to ensure the equipment is safe, it could be a matter for a court to decide if the measures taken were adequate. If equipment caused damage, eg fire, then no documentation leaves one wide open to a claim, and if persons are injured, possible prosecution.

I do the same, it beats having insurance co after you. the best check is National trust

Haggis is off-line
17 November 2013 12:41
martinscroft
Photographer
martinscroft
Cheshire

Stick with off camera flashguns and you have nothing to PAT test. In terms of insurance it would be public liability and not (professional) indemnity they would be looking for.

pegasus is off-lineSilver Member
20 November 2013 04:14
pegasuspics
Photographer

London

Quote from dominicdgt
It depends slightly on the camera, full frame Vs crop sensor as to what lens you carry, personally the very thing that's hard on location i.e. taking loads of gear is slightly easier when the car is only parked 2 min away (normally). I've used 70-200mm in a Best Western with results that I liked, again depends on your goal if you are planning to bring much of the room into the composition you'll need wider! I'd stick to what you know you like and gives you good results.

With the available power in the room i'd take 2 small 400 watt studio lights, the SBs i'd normally carry on location with external power maybe 50% smaller than a small light but the studio light isn't overly big anyway! Bring a 4 Gang Extension Lead (5 Metre) it will power the lights, battery charger and the models phone that for some reason is always low on juice!

Dominic.

great reply on this post. I always have a overloaded car and a model with a phone low on juice!! no! never! lol

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ayaphilips CJ2015B RoxyMendez rubyrosetta Sarahlou73 Stephieb27 stevepm zavego
63jian Abbott chicimages digartlondon ElegantCaptures GSC4X James7799 JRFox Matt1988 nemesis nonoizephotography panda49 philippahh PhilWinterbourne redbaron robhillphoto Thunder_Photos tms trevski
photo39
matt