What do I set my fee at as a beginner?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Gussy is off-line
30 October 2013 11:46
Gussy05
Model

West Sussex
Bognor Regis

I am just starting out and I have had a few people ask what I charge per hour. As I have never charged anyone before I have no idea what the going rate is. Any advice please?

30 October 2013 11:58
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from Gussy05
I am just starting out and I have had a few people ask what I charge per hour. As I have never charged anyone before I have no idea what the going rate is. Any advice please?

In theory, I'd say you can charge however much you want. But to get a more specific idea, maybe look at a few models' profiles on here by going in the search section and clicking the 'Paid work only' option. But I should imagine that, as you're a brand new model, you're not likely to get many offers of paid shoots tbh. Of course, that's not to say you shouldn't at least try. Hope that's helpful.

Paul Nash                                is off-line
30 October 2013 12:08
Nash
Photographer

Greater Manchester

Hi Gussy,
I think the advice I would give, (based on experience) is don't set your rates too low! Some typical rates are: £20 - £25 per hour up to lingerie, around £30 topless, then minimum £40 nude. Also remember to include travelling costs (train, coach, petrol...). These would be for basic modelling work. I do a lot of amateur sploshing shoots (see my profile), which is usually to topless/lingerie (thong/stocking), not nude, but requires time to shower and change between sessions. I normally pay £50/hour for this type of mild fetish work. HOWEVER: some rates can vary quite a lot depending on whether the shoot is private, or if the models sign a release form for the photos/video to be sold on commercially. I'm alwats happy to give the model a full set of copies of everything taken during a shoot for their profiles. Hope this is of some use.
Best wishes and good luck!
Chris

Gussy is off-line
30 October 2013 12:33
Gussy05
Model

West Sussex
Bognor Regis

Thanks all you are very helpful. I need a small portfolio built up anyway so i would ask for prints instead of pay for at least a few of them and to gain experience working with photogaphers as I haven't yet. This gives me an Idea of what my pay rate will be when I get to that.
-Gussy-

Gerry is off-line
30 October 2013 12:59
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

The advice you have been given so far relates to glamour and content work.

Some of the best art nude models in the country quite happy to work for 8 hours for a day rate of between £200 and £275.

They are selective on who they work with but if you over price yourself, why would someone looking for an art nude model book you?

The best advice is to look at the castings and get a feel for what models are requesting as a competitive rate
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

ImperfectRose is off-lineSilver Member
30 October 2013 13:00
SoftGentle
Model
SoftGentle
Greater Manchester
Leigh

Ive been.modelling.four years. and i charge a flat fee of 20 perhour for all my levels fashion lingerie topless nude openleg. etc x

Paul Hodson is off-line
30 October 2013 14:06
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Nash
Hi Gussy, I think the advice I would give, (based on experience) is don't set your rates too low! Some typical rates are: £20 - £25 per hour up to lingerie, around £30 topless, then minimum £40 nude. Also remember to include travelling costs (train, coach, petrol...). These would be for basic modelling work.............

And back on Planet Earth......................  laugh

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

TarMoo is off-line
30 October 2013 14:57
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Kent
Chatham

I remember shoot Tansy a few months after she started. Her rate up to nude was under £20/hr. I think someone with little experience should think about a rate of £20/hr up to art nude and also be careful to work with photographers who have lots of references which you can check by sending PMs to the models the photographer has worked with.
Q: How to make a small fortune from photography? A: Start with a large fortune.

Paul Hodson is off-line
30 October 2013 15:14
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from tarmoo
I remember shoot Tansy a few months after she started. Her rate up to nude was under £20/hr........

Mind you - you didn't presumably lie her on a plastic sheet and throw custard at her................  laugh
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Gussy is off-line
30 October 2013 16:01
Gussy05
Model

West Sussex
Bognor Regis

Thanks guys. So maybe I should charge no more than 30 for full nude i guess when i get going?

16 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Faye QueenDeeVa01
Camerawerks caretaker2012 ElegantCaptures James7799 LGI Matt1988 philippahh Puremoods Sp_digital Stevew1 studio1910 tms two_stops whitepython