Themakeupfairy
Make-up Artist
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
Themakeupfairy
County Durham
Middlesbrough

Hi there MUA's

I'm tierd if taking pictures of my work and the camera not given my makeup much justice!
My work looks better in real life it's asif the camera doesn't catch colours.
Anyways any body got any advice?
Anybody know any good photographers to help me out on this?
Also I would like my work look like it's on magazine cover the smooth flawless look.

Would be interested in any good photographers out there.
And any tips or advice MUA'S can offer.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
30 October 2013 03:19
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

You need to understand the difference between a good/bad photographer yourself simply by looking at the images they produce.

It's actually very easy to get accurate colours with digital cameras and there are affordable tools to do this (such as colour swatches that you can photogaph to balance the colours accurately when using photoshop), any photographer who cannot do this is somewhat incompetent IMO, but again you should be able to ascertain whether they'd be competent or not from their images - at the very least for beauty work their photos should be razor sharp, no colour casts and no cheesy effects added.

At a push any potential photographer should be able to send you high-res examples of their work (even if watermarked), if they refuse they clearly have something to hide (as in they're crap and don't want to embarass themselves).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Oliver Cook is off-line
30 October 2013 06:18
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Quote from RedChecker
You need to understand the difference between a good/bad photographer yourself simply by looking at the images they produce. It's actually very easy to get accurate colours with digital cameras and there are affordable tools to do this (such as colour swatches that you can photogaph to balance the colours accurately when using photoshop), any photographer who cannot do this is somewhat incompetent IMO, but again you should be able to ascertain whether they'd be competent or not from their images - at the very least for beauty work their photos should be razor sharp, no colour casts and no cheesy effects added. At a push any potential photographer should be able to send you high-res examples of their work (even if watermarked), if they refuse they clearly have something to hide (as in they're crap and don't want to embarass themselves).

+1 I'd agree with this entirely.

Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
30 October 2013 19:10
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

Quote from Themakeupfairy
? Also I would like my work look like it's on magazine cover the smooth flawless look. Would be interested in any good photographers out there. And any tips or advice MUA'S can offer.

The smooth flawless look on magazine covers is not because of the fabulous photography, or the fantastic make-up. It is mostly to do with the amount of editing/ Photoshop that goes on before the image hits the magazine cover. I dare say there are top professionals doing this editing and, from what I have heard from those in the trade, it won't be the photographer that does the editing for magazine covers. I'm sure the differences between before and after are huge. Even I would look great on a magazine cover?!

As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
30 October 2013 19:15
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Quote from carshaltonkev
The smooth flawless look on magazine covers is not because of the fabulous photography, or the fantastic make-up. It is mostly to do with the amount of editing/ Photoshop that goes on before the image hits the magazine cover. I dare say there are top professionals doing this editing and, from what I have heard from those in the trade, it won't be the photographer that does the editing for magazine covers. I'm sure the differences between before and after are huge. Even I would look great on a magazine cover?!

Exactly

31 October 2013 02:18
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from carshaltonkev

Whilst there is a large degree of this, a clean/natural photograph taken by a competent photographer with good lighting technique goes a VERY long way, and again I iterate that it is not hard to get achieve this if the photographer is half decent.  For a MUA's portfolio unedited images are preferable anyway.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

31 October 2013 07:28
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

From what I understand, this BBC Children In Need Campaign involves no makup or airbrushing. A great example of how good, flattering lighting can be to a subject, and it's this sort of thing (as a MUA) you should be after IMO:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/galleries/p01gvfhp

vasquito is off-lineSilver Member
31 October 2013 15:39
vasquito
Photographer
vasquito
Borders

Quote from RedChecker
From what I understand, this BBC Children In Need Campaign involves no makup or airbrushing. A great example of how good, flattering lighting can be to a subject, and it's this sort of thing (as a MUA) you should be after IMO:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/galleries/p01gvfhp

Interesting link.

All taken with a single large ( -ish ) octobox and a supplementary reflector to fill in under the chin ???   Or am I reading it wrong ?
Perhaps Purestorm should run it's own "Go barefaced - er.... BearFaced" for children in need ?

V

31 October 2013 17:04
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from vasquito
All taken with a single large ( -ish ) octobox and a supplementary reflector to fill in under the chin ???   Or am I reading it wrong ?

Yep, it looks like a clamshell-like setup to me too.  It's a simple but effective setup for flattering images that will serve the OP well if they can find someone who can do it.

01 November 2013 05:44
silverk
Photographer

Or......http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/31/realities-of-photoshop-video_n_4180537.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Michelledefeo1 Yenguo
Dandelion djb1 Essexjohn funky GlasgowPhotographer JohnDentonPhoto keltica lester2705 MIB mkitos mlp oro ownimage penfoldpc peteb PhilStorm powerbook92 read severndigital Thunder_Photos Willjamieson