This thread is being watched by 1 person
Oliver Cook is off-line
27 October 2013 11:48
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Hi guys,

It's bee a long time since I posted on the forums but here I am (I've been busy acting as Her Majesty's not-so-secret agent on the silliest island south of Sicily for the past six months). I've put together a new website using the 4ormat service. Its currently at  http://olivercook.4ormat.com - not got a domain for it yet. Anyway, its not overly important to me now as I'm spending my time running my own art gallery and defusing the ever present tensions regarding the 'custard cream incident', but I just thought it would be interesting to see what people think.  laugh

Oliver Cook is off-line
30 October 2013 07:11
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Flippin' eck' its quiet here.

Bill Haley is off-lineSilver Member
30 October 2013 11:08
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Hampshire
Portsmouth

Hi Oliver. I like the site, plenty of good quality shots, easy to navigate and good info. My only dislike is the third person narrative.

All the best with your gallery.
How hard can it be?

KHV is off-line
30 October 2013 11:43
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

Disnae scroll in FFox

30 October 2013 12:40
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Quote from Keltica
Disnae scroll in FFox

it does in mine...
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Oliver Cook is off-line
30 October 2013 14:41
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Quote from pompeytog
Hi Oliver. I like the site, plenty of good quality shots, easy to navigate and good info. My only dislike is the third person narrative. All the best with your gallery.

Thanks! I always talk to myself in third person. laugh Maybe I shouldn't - especially out loud in cafes and bars. 

Paul Jones is off-line
30 October 2013 15:23
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Hi Oliver

I enjoyed browsing your website.  I like the way you have the images together in a scroll.  The style and content of the site was a little like flicking through a Goliath photo book.   https://www.goliathbooks.com/

My favourite galleries were the 'Girls, Black and White' and 'Swimsuits'.  I wasn't so keen on the 'French Maids' gallery.

I agree with a previous comment about your Bio page being written in the third person.  It cam come across as a bit pretentious.

Best regards
Paul

www.PaulJones.org

ICONIC :P is off-line
30 October 2013 19:56
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

do we not get a password for extra access ?
pissing purestorm off since 2009

Oliver Cook is off-line
30 October 2013 20:29
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Quote from Paul_Jones
Hi Oliver

I enjoyed browsing your website.  I like the way you have the images together in a scroll.  The style and content of the site was a little like flicking through a Goliath photo book.   https://www.goliathbooks.com/

My favourite galleries were the 'Girls, Black and White' and 'Swimsuits'.  I wasn't so keen on the 'French Maids' gallery.

I agree with a previous comment about your Bio page being written in the third person.  It cam come across as a bit pretentious.

Best regards
Paul

Hi Paul, thanks so much for the feedback and for introducing me to Goliath! I can already feel my PayPal account emptying. cheeky

CSD Images is off-line
31 October 2013 03:23
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

How about having a 18+ Lightbox to warn the user it's a NSFW site?
Site is using Browser detection which is considered a big no, no instead it should use feature detection.
No SEO optimisation in the headers for BING/Google entries.
No HTTP request optimisations, and you have JavaScript in the header so poor optimisation on the site for load times.
Non-Semantic mark-up for the actual design (no HTML 5 elements).
The image protection notice is a waste of time as it can be easily bypassed.
You have two pages with just a password entry, you should always quantify why its; there.
Very little information about you or how you work this should be the focus of a site.
No blog/diary to help with SEO.

A technical and high level look at your site. The template you're using is a standard cookie cutter and is poorly designed. Compared to many 'modern' photographic sites it feels dated. People expect at least some eye candy and UI/UX interaction.

www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

6 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Angeleyes777
Fluffypup Happysnappyj Rhadamanthus timwalton42 woody