Reminder Secure

Any experts on peanuts/monkey nuts out there?

Paul Hodson is off-line
22 October 2013 17:38
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from RedChecker
Unless there's some thieving sod at the plantation who's cracking them open, pinching the 'nut' and then gluing it back together as some sort of cruel joke.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

22 October 2013 17:50
johnlp
Photographer

I'm completely addicted to them, fresh or cooked. My digestive system hates them, so I endeavour not to binge on them too frequently.

Serious note. There is a mould that grows on them, you'll know about it if you eat one, and it produces a toxin which is a known carcinogen.

Wildlife peanuts if left out too long will also develop mould, and they think this could account for a slump in Greenfinch numbers. Why we can't eat peanuts packaged for birds I don't know?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
22 October 2013 17:53
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from johnlp
Why we can't eat peanuts packaged for birds I don't know?

I think they're the Chinese ones and they taste bloody awful, I'm very particular about what monkey nuts I buy and will only have ones I know are American because of the massive difference in taste.  You can stick the Chinese ones in the oven though and roast them a bit, not perfect but they do taste nicer afterwards.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
22 October 2013 18:56
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

The outer shells originally start growing above ground from shoots.
Its only when the outer shell (with the partially formed fruit) is pushed underground that light is blocked and the fruit begins to form and grow, nutrients from the soil are also absorbed by the shell to help growth.
. The small fruit you find has not formed due to too much light entering the pod, an also very little nutrients being absorbed.

CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

Moi is off-line
23 October 2013 04:30
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_photography
County Durham
North East

Quote from gerryquiff
The outer shells originally start growing above ground from shoots.
Its only when the outer shell (with the partially formed fruit) is pushed underground that light is blocked and the fruit begins to form and grow, nutrients from the soil are also absorbed by the shell to help growth.
. The small fruit you find has not formed due to too much light entering the pod, an also very little nutrients being absorbed.

Wow, you certainly know your nuts 
The most dangerous creation of any society is the man who has nothing to lose." - James Baldwin

Gary Newton is off-line
23 October 2013 10:40
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Essex

I get distressed when I buy a bag of Pistachio nuts and most of them are unsplit. Have you tried opening them??

Imagery is off-line
23 October 2013 14:19
Imagery
Photographer

North Yorkshire

Ohh I could be really boring at this point.....

This phenomena is often called 'blind seeds' in many crops.
There can be many causes.....
In peanuts/groundnuts I believe it is usually and very commonly caused by a calcium deficiency.
In grass seeds it is often caused by a fungus... other pests effecting early development at seed formation can also cause this..

The toxins a previous poster referred to are mycotoxins produced by moulds. A relatively recent and increasing area of human understanding. Many are carcinogenic. Most can occur in food stuffs to a dangerous level even when visible mould (to the human eye) is not present...

Jesfish is off-line
23 October 2013 14:20
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Quote from oceanova
I get distressed when I buy a bag of Pistachio nuts and most of them are unsplit. Have you tried opening them??

Don't even try.  It ususally ends up in someone having to perform the heimlich manouvre.

Imagery is off-line
23 October 2013 14:30
Imagery
Photographer

North Yorkshire

Quote from Imagery
Ohh I could be really boring at this point.....

This phenomena is often called 'blind seeds' in many crops.
There can be many causes.....
In peanuts/groundnuts I believe it is usually and very commonly caused by a calcium deficiency.
In grass seeds it is often caused by a fungus... other pests effecting early development at seed formation can also cause this..

The toxins a previous poster referred to are mycotoxins produced by moulds. A relatively recent and increasing area of human understanding. Many are carcinogenic. Most can occur in food stuffs to a dangerous level even when visible mould (to the human eye) is not present...

and I forgot to say the empty pods you are finding are called "pops"

Fisherface is off-line
23 October 2013 15:25
Fisherface
Make-up Artist
Fisherface
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Quote from Imagery
Ohh I could be really boring at this point..... This phenomena is often called 'blind seeds' in many crops. 

Is this similar to blind daffodils?

31 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
apriluk Damm08 Pinklilly ryansd speed84 Superhawk8 Teela
ALANOMNIA antonart Blancho bob BOBREEVES davejarvis diphoto ElegantCaptures geronimo GerryS2 gwentman James7799 johnmphoto MIB modelboutique NeilScott PhilStorm photomart siwalters steveh32 Thunder_Photos Vapourtrail wacTony
harbourstudio