Reminder Secure

Thinking of moving to Scotland. Will I need to quit modelling?!

tomhl is off-line
19 October 2013 04:46
tomhl
Photographer
tomhl
Ayrshire
Dumfries,Ayr,Carlisle,Glasgow,Manchester

If you moved to Glasgow or Edinburgh you would get regular work depending on your rates, but probably not enough to live on or model full time. It would also help if you could drive as alot of places in Scotland are a nightmare to reach by public transport.
Personally I think you should look ar Glasgow to live - it is cheaper than Edinburgh, has more photographers, and better transport links to the rest of the UK (flights to London take just over an hour)

It would probably make sense to spend some time in Scotland before you move and put up some castings.

My imagination wants to see the vivid colours of reality .

ato is off-line
19 October 2013 08:42
atumeda
Photographer

Lothian

Since I am not a professional photographer but have another job working with large companies I can tell you this:
In Scotland is only one thing plenty, and that are midges.
Followed by too much alcohol.

Work is nearly always bad paid, except you are a banker.

My advise:
I do not know why you want to move, but if you want to boost yourself seriously ...

Why not going to the centre of everything (in Europe): Germany.
Everything is more plenty there than here, but also much more challenging and rewarding, (British laziness is not helpful).
Why Germany?

If you are in Scotland and enter your car and drive ten hours you are ether in the worst northwest on a tiny single track road or about just passing London, what is both equal to nowhere, because still in the same tiny country with all its limitations ...

If you do that driving in Germany (based Cologne) you are in less time in all the big centers: Duesseldorf, Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Brussels, Paris, Milano.
And there is the world class of modeling and opportunities.

Andy is off-line
19 October 2013 10:05
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

Quote from atumeda
Since I am not a professional photographer but have another job working with large companies I can tell you this: In Scotland is only one thing plenty, and that are midges. Followed by too much alcohol. Work is nearly always bad paid, except you are a banker. My advise: I do not know why you want to move, but if you want to boost yourself seriously ... Why not going to the centre of everything (in Europe): Germany. Everything is more plenty there than here, but also much more challenging and rewarding, (British laziness is not helpful). Why Germany? If you are in Scotland and enter your car and drive ten hours you are ether in the worst northwest on a tiny single track road or about just passing London, what is both equal to nowhere, because still in the same tiny country with all its limitations ... If you do that driving in Germany (based Cologne) you are in less time in all the big centers: Duesseldorf, Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Brussels, Paris, Milano. And there is the world class of modeling and opportunities.

And yet you are here in Scotland yourself, did things not work out for you then ?

lets get shootin

HowardJ is off-line
19 October 2013 12:14
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I don't see why you'd have to quit. The benefit of being self employed is you can live anywhere and travel for work. Sometimes people will pickup your travel expenses and if you plan it well you can spread your travel expenses over a number of jobs on a single trip.

jivago Photographic is off-line
19 October 2013 15:35
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Hi,

I would not be put off. Edinburgh and Glasgow are now very well connected through the budget airlines throughout the UK.

http://www.jivagophoto.com/

Arria Photography is off-line
20 October 2013 12:07
Arria
Photographer
Arria
Strathclyde
Glasgow

Hi Roxy,

There's never going to be as many Photographers in Scotland as there would be in England purely due to the larger population down in England.

That said, there's no reason why if you market yourself correctly, that you couldn't make a living from modelling in Scotland.

In my opinion, I'd say Glasgow would be better than Edinburgh, as it would be cheaper to live there.

As previous posters have said, there are good road and rail networks in Scotland......and great outdoor locations

Maybe you could do a few tours first - to dip your toe in the water so to speak.

Good luck!

Arria.

RoxyMendez is off-lineSilver Member
20 October 2013 16:13
RoxyMendez
Model
RoxyMendez
Worcestershire
Malvern

I really appreciate all your comments. The reason for moving is my partner is Scottish. And we're thinking of getting a house up there.

HowardJ is off-line
20 October 2013 16:18
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from RoxyMendez
I really appreciate all your comments. The reason for moving is my partner is Scottish. And we're thinking of getting a house up there.

must be cheaper to buy there than in England but they have a slightly wacky system for selling houses no doubt your partner knows it well.

" Hibby " is off-line
20 October 2013 16:49
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
Highland
Inverness

Be delighted to see you in Inverness anytime
"A technically perfect photograph can be the worlds most boring picture" Andreas Feininger

Rupert Rudd is off-line
21 October 2013 02:05
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

There are more people living in Yorkshire than in the whole of Scotland. So proportionally there must be less opportunity in Scotland.
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

18 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
emmac89 Winterlilly
cliffc digitalphotos GlasgowPhotographer jamesboswell kai_kul PhotoSpyroS photostevo rscott360 skymouse soulc Steveh32 ttstinger TWO50 vapourtrail viewphotographic Willjamieson