Reminder Secure

New 'edgy' image- Hit or Miss?

16 October 2013 11:34
River
Model

Ive recently added a new image to my portfolio, taken by Tapas. I've recieved a few mixed messages about it....so I wanted to know if its a Hit or Miss?
The main reason I added it was to give my portfolio a little more variety. Ive been told so many times that I always do 'pretty' pictures, and this shoot was a bit of an experiment for both of us.
I would appriciate it if I could hear from others on whether its good/bad and if I should try some more in a similar style, try something different or stick to what I do best.
Thanks,
River
"I do this because Im having fun. The minute I stop having fun, I'll just walk away"- Heath Ledger

Nick Atkins is off-lineGold Member
16 October 2013 11:58
NATKINS
Photographer
NATKINS
Oxfordshire

It's the editing that gives it an 'edgy' feel. I wouldn't judge it as good or bad, it is what it is and does contrast with the other images in your port. I think being 'edgy' is more than editing - it's posing, location, context, juxtaposition blah, blah... something a bit more provocative...

But in answer to your question - push your boundaries and experiment - stay safe and have fun!

Hope this helps...

Nick
I've taken a vow of poverty - if you really want to annoy me, send money.

Paul Venn is off-lineSilver Member
16 October 2013 11:58
jpv
Photographer
jpv
Norfolk
Norwich

Personally the image is not to my taste BUT I do believe in experimenting so I do think you should try more in that and other styles. As I am sure you have often been told your work is continually improving though having reached a high standard some time ago improvements come in small steps. If you don't experiment you get stuck in a rut and eventually bored.

16 October 2013 13:09
barone
Photographer

Don't worry to much about what other people say...If "pretty" is what you like, then think about ways you can extend the "pretty range".

If you want to experiment, then be mindful of the fact, that it's not always going to work....
Next Model Day...23rd March 2014...http://purpleport.com/portfolio/angie...Interested?...Ask me for details.

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
16 October 2013 14:43
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

The lighting is not what would conventionally be seen as a particularly happy choice. Maybe it's something to do with this edge thing. One feels you could go get a different, more aspirational type of grittiness.

OldMaster is off-line
16 October 2013 15:31
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

I think it should have been a hit. Its a different look for sure compared to your fashion and beauty work and it would have worked for me if it didn't look quite so "dirty" in terms of "print quality". Everything else about it I like...see if you can get the tog to produce a cleaner version where your skin looks a lot less "blotchy" but still retains the strong B&W look?

Paul Jones is off-line
16 October 2013 16:19
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from River
Ive recently added a new image to my portfolio, taken by Tapas. I've recieved a few mixed messages about it....so I wanted to know if its a Hit or Miss?

Sorry, it's a 'Miss' for me.  I don't think it adds anything to your portfolio.

Best regards
Paul
www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

Qu is off-line
17 October 2013 11:14
hhoa
Photographer
hhoa
London
London

Quote from River
whether its good/bad and if I should try some more in a similar style, try something different or stick to what I do best.

Good or bad is a matter of taste BUT YES try some more and try different.

17 October 2013 11:16
River
Model

Thanks all I appriciate the responses. I will continue to experiment and remember that the results might not always work!
"I do this because Im having fun. The minute I stop having fun, I'll just walk away"- Heath Ledger

17 October 2013 16:29
Jackass
Photographer

It's always good to post experiments for feedback as you often can't be objective about an image you've spent time on.
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it could be my ex wife.

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
andyl111 david1500 Hioctane keltica kimphot Ladiesman michael_cameraman modelboutique Peter_d_photography rossiter Thephotochap vapourtrail