How far, is too far?

Kevin Wilson is off-lineSilver Member
12 October 2013 07:39
kerandastudio2
Studio
kerandastudio2
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Reply from a model recently . "It is unfortunate you are so far away".

Google list's as a 27 minute journey, was a well paid booking , the model had responded to a casting ???

KHV is off-line
12 October 2013 08:36
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

I have done shoots which involved driving to Pontefract, staying overnight then to Co Durham (overnight), then to Carlisle (overnight) then down to Telford, then back home (London).

I now have to travel outside the M25 and usually over 250 miles for filming jobs.

Ifa Brand is off-line
12 October 2013 10:24
IfaBrand
Model
IfaBrand
Belgium
Antwerp

Depends on assignment.

If travel expenses are paid and accommodation can be provided I would say 2-3 hours of travel for a full day of work.

Note: longest I have ever traveled for a (tfp(!))-shoot was 5 hours, single trip. Stayed overnight and it was worth it. Great images and I really wanted to work with the photographer.

Ifa: +1 for dedication
*pets herself on the head*

EdT is off-line
12 October 2013 13:02
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from paulbatterbury
Given that most people in the modelling and photography earn more in a day than some people do in a week...

And all those photographers who come in here moaning about how difficult it is to make ends meet these days???

OldMaster is off-line
12 October 2013 15:16
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

"... photography earn more in a day than some people do in a week" I think you are living in the past!! The rate for instance for school photographers is around £100+ a day and this will often be 5.30am starts. Graduations work out at about £200 per day max when they are 10 hour days but usually only a few weeks a year.

Much of social photography is seasonal with some months no work at all. Studio photography..I saw an ad from Next looking for a fashion photographer some years ago...£300 a day and apparently for Vogue you work unpaid because of the kudos!!! Weddings..don't even get me started because it's well known you only have to buy a DSLR and Hey Presto!!..you can call yourself a wedding photographer!

The market has changed you might have noticed! Even an unskilled part time model if she will get her kit off will often charge around £30p/h where as a qualified and experienced full time "professional" tog working in social photography is now worth around £12-15p/h. Models can charge what the market will stand because the majority of their customers will usually be amateurs who have proper day jobs and earn sensible money!

I charged £50 p/h 25 years ago but those days are long gone. Of course this was in the days of film when only a few could shoot, process and print. Digital and other market forces have changed all that. There are only two types of jobs now that social photographers get..jobs that people can't do and jobs that people don't want to do....

12 October 2013 18:22
Webbo2
Photographer

Don't know if it counts, but some jobs where I've been hired as a camera man I've travelled to London, Glasgow, or even Prague and Oslo.
EYUP!

Aston Wilde is off-lineSilver Member
13 October 2013 07:23
ndcent007
Model
ndcent007
Shropshire
telford

I will travel wherever is needed if the shoot is paid well. If the journey and shoot cant be done within one day I will try to get accommodation . But I wouldn't go more than 2hours away for a 2 hour shoot unless I can book further work in the same location

ImperfectRose is off-lineSilver Member
14 October 2013 08:58
SoftGentle
Model
SoftGentle
Greater Manchester
Leigh

Id happily shoot abroad hmmmm need sort passport out . rip off lol. &furthest ive travelled is a hour as my bf drives me n his job forbids long joureys so to speek he works nights sleeps days n my two year old caan be hardwork. but then again most photogrophers have understood that n comr to me n shott here or gone bk to hus. area. furthest being liverpool/brighton. Xx

14 October 2013 09:40
paulbatterbury
Photographer

We are not typically talking abroad as such, although a few people have posted it up. An hour once you shot with everyone within an hour’s radius from you….. Well, I will put it another way, you are limiting yourself.

If all who have the same outlook, regarding that 70mph is the fastest you can (legally) drive in the UK, so you will only travel 70 miles at the most, if I took the same view, I would not even get to the airport of ferry port for a pick up.

Modelling and Photography takes dedication, all because you are attractive, does mean you a good model, like wise all because you have an expensive camera does mean you a great photographer…. This is why we leave feedback.

I am not attacking you here, I am showing you that if you want a future in modelling, you need to start pushing yourself, regardless of what type or style of model you are and you will find that you portfolio will same stay the same.

There are some models that work hard and travel all over the country to almost every job they get offered, maybe they and not the most stunning girls in some peoples’ opinions, but as models, they have ease to work with and reliability they cash in on those qualities.

Hence the aim of the thread is to bring such things to people attentions, because no one is going to offer any serious work or photo shoot away to someone who has not got a portfolio that stands out or has a track recorded of cancellation due to travel, and if you want to work with a top level photographer... they will not make a house call, you will have to go to their studio for a (test shoot at least).

I am happy to travel, and traveled over two hours to London, only to face someone who could make an hours trip into London.... do you see what I am saying?
Kind Regards Paul http://www.paul-batterbury.com

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
14 October 2013 09:49
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

2.5 hour drive in each direction, although this is only a hobby for me.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

36 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ArizonaSky Ashleighmckenzie chandni23 Danielamoreno1975 emilymarshall Harleypage Laila19 latara_18 michellehush Pinklilly Rhistylee toxicinnocence
abouncer couchestudio Dandelion dby47 DecimalDan diphoto Essexjohn freddie gperl GSC4X Impulse_Images JasonSmithPhoto leekumkee liteangle Maverick974 MIB philippahh photon rtmphoto siclews steveh32 timmbo violins Willjamieson