Reminder Secure

How far, is too far?

11 October 2013 16:58
paulbatterbury
Photographer

Given that most people in the modelling and photography earn more in a day than some people do in a week, how far would you be prepare to travel for a shoot (and back again)?

Kind Regards Paul http://www.paul-batterbury.com

11 October 2013 17:31
jessicard
Model

Back when modelling was my only source of income I'd happily do a round trip of about 10 hours. Now the furtherest I'll go is an hour and a half max.
http://jayerose.tumblr.com/

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
11 October 2013 18:03
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from paulbatterbury
 how far would you be prepare to travel for a shoot (and back again)?

As far as is needed. I think the furthest I have travelled for a shoot is Jo'burg and the most tiring trip I had was to Maine via Massachusetts over a weekend for a one-day magazine shoot at an event in the States.

The furthest a model has travelled to shoot with me for a couple of days (at her expense) was Amman in Jordan.

Last month I journeyed to southern Albania, involving 18 hours travel time by rail / plane / car each way, for two days of shooting.

Models from this site have travelled out to, or with, me for 48 hours in Spain to shoot magazine covers.

Some highly professional models I have worked with have travelled to European capital cities on day trips without batting an eyelash.

For next year I'm currently planning a 1,000 mile, five day, road trip circuit in the American Southwest requiring a day of travel over The Pond at either end to take in four location shoots a couple of hundred miles apart on consecutive days.

I suppose "how far" all depends on the ambition and drive of the model or photographer.

Bob

Paul Hodson is off-line
12 October 2013 01:47
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Bob

I suppose "how far" all depends on the ambition and drive of the model or photographer.

And money?
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Roger Vaughan is off-line
12 October 2013 05:14
BigEarsPix
Photographer
BigEarsPix
Warwickshire
Rugby

Speaking as a fun shooter I don't travel and I rarely book a model who has more than a trip time of a couple of hours each way. History has taught me that the more time a model has to spend travelling to a shoot increases the chance of a late cancellation or no show.
Roger Vaughan

12 October 2013 05:37
paulbatterbury
Photographer

We are not talking fun Rodger, we are talking paid (day) shoots.

I am following up two cancellations I had last week when I was in the UK, the first had just over an hour to travel from Essex to the shoot location which was in London and she told me it was too far for her to come, yet I had a 2hr 20min drive up there, and the same back, the model who replaced her came from Staffordshire…..

The Second model cancelled on me at the 11 hour... well 5am, after a month of setting up the shoot and given (both models) the option of selecting a place to shoot.

On average when I shoot here in France I offer two days, due tot he travel and I have to pick up and drop of the model at the Airport which is a 3 hour round trip x 2. I use up nearly a full tank of fuel in the car, it around 350miles I drive, excluding any location shoots I do here.

It just seems to me that some people lack the dedication.

photo_phil is off-line
12 October 2013 06:02
photo_phil
Photographer
photo_phil
Lincolnshire
Coningsby

Iraq.
Afghanistan.
Canada.
Kenya.

Roger Vaughan is off-line
12 October 2013 06:30
BigEarsPix
Photographer
BigEarsPix
Warwickshire
Rugby

Quote from paulbatterbury
We are not talking fun Rodger, we are talking paid (day) shoots.

I may be shooting for fun but I pay models good rates and cover travel costs too.
Roger Vaughan

12 October 2013 06:31
twentytwenty
Photographer

London several times, Glasgow to Euston via sleeper, shoot all day in the city, then sleeper back to Glasgow.

The distance is not so much a problem, its how easy it is to get somewhere and back. cheap airline bookings make European cities very attractive

12 October 2013 06:50
paulbatterbury
Photographer

Quote from BigEarsPix
I may be shooting for fun but I pay models good rates and cover travel costs too.

Yes but if they don’t show or cancel you have only lost the shoot…

Not the money, or having the upset to the client or the hassle of the location and tracking down another model to fill that gap as you paid for the location that will fit the clothing you have as you brought in the size of the model that has cancelled.

Even more frustrating, when you have gone out your way to satisfy the model. Who has asked you for the work in the first place, and you found the location for her which she has agreed too after giving them the option of shooting anywhere.

It is the difference between “fun” and “for real” you can’t easily shrug off a shoot and when its costs you, not just money, but disappointing the client.  

6 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
antonart Antz dby47 flair_photography Pval Steveh32