10 October 2013 04:31
EthoAprilis
Model
This member has been reset to pending

Pennsylvania
Media

Hey!

I am new to this site.
I have never done any professional modeling.
Unfortunately all my pictures are self taken. I haven't gotten the chance to have anyone else shoot for me.
But i feel a self taken portfolio is better than no portfolio!
There seems to be some good talent on this site, i thought i'd take some opinions from people more active in the business. Do you think i have a chance as a model?

Thanks for your time!

Amber West is off-line
10 October 2013 07:51
Amber6
Model
Amber6
Dumfries and Galloway

you need full length shots before anyone can say anything.  Also list your height.

Etho Aprilis is off-line
14 October 2013 02:56
EthoAprilis
Model

Pennsylvania
Media

Quote from Amber6
you need full length shots before anyone can say anything.  Also list your height.

I agree full length shots could be helpful, but there are plenty of jobs in the industry where full length shots are not used. I am extremely short. I have no interest in runway. There are plenty of jobs available for shorter models.

Thank you for your feedback.

Gerry is off-line
14 October 2013 04:46
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

At the moment, no one has any idea what your body looks like and no one has any idea of your scale apart from your own comment that you are extremely short.

To be honest, I would actually use that as an advantage rather than an apology and put your height down. You also ought to think of some ways to try and sell your height rather than say what you wont do. You will need a variety of shots including full length and part length for anyone to feel comfortable giving you a chance at a shoot with you.
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Etho Aprilis is off-line
15 October 2013 02:18
EthoAprilis
Model

Pennsylvania
Media

Quote from Gerry99111
At the moment, no one has any idea what your body looks like and no one has any idea of your scale apart from your own comment that you are extremely short.

To be honest, I would actually use that as an advantage rather than an apology and put your height down. You also ought to think of some ways to try and sell your height rather than say what you wont do. You will need a variety of shots including full length and part length for anyone to feel comfortable giving you a chance at a shoot with you.

Lets get this straight... Are you both insisting that there are NO jobs in the modeling industry that are for models who are fully clothed? Or there are NO jobs out there that have the face as focal points?

I can't think of any ways to sell my height. I'm 5'3 the only way to sell my height is to make a mockery of it by doing shoots where i dress up as an elf or some other character that i feel is degrading.

Again i think having full body shots would be helpful if i aim to do a specific genre of modeling. If i aim to have my body even matter in a photo.

Hair modeling, cologne ads, eyeglass ads, all of those could use head shots. I can't see a photographer demanding a full body shot from me in order to work with me on a project they'll only be shooting from the shoulders up.

I appreciate your feedback, but it doesn't answer the question. The question is "Do you feel i have potential" not how can i broaden my portfolio, or, is my posing up to par, which "adding full length photos" would make sense as an answer.

I was always under the impression seeing a picture of a persons face was good enough grounds to say whether or not they had the "potential" to model. If i have no one with a creative eye to take photos of me, i can hardly add said photos to this portfolio lol.

Harpy_images is off-line
15 October 2013 03:04
Harpy_images
Photographer
Harpy_images
South Glamorgan
Barry Cardiff

Quote from EthoAprilis
Lets get this straight... Are you both insisting that there are NO jobs in the modeling industry that are for models who are fully clothed? Or there are NO jobs out there that have the face as focal points? I can't think of any ways to sell my height. I'm 5'3 the only way to sell my height is to make a mockery of it by doing shoots where i dress up as an elf or some other character that i feel is degrading. Again i think having full body shots would be helpful if i aim to do a specific genre of modeling. If i aim to have my body even matter in a photo. Hair modeling, cologne ads, eyeglass ads, all of those could use head shots. I can't see a photographer demanding a full body shot from me in order to work with me on a project they'll only be shooting from the shoulders up. I appreciate your feedback, but it doesn't answer the question. The question is "Do you feel i have potential" not how can i broaden my portfolio, or, is my posing up to par, which "adding full length photos" would make sense as an answer. I was always under the impression seeing a picture of a persons face was good enough grounds to say whether or not they had the "potential" to model. If i have no one with a creative eye to take photos of me, i can hardly add said photos to this portfolio lol.

Realistically how much work do you think is out there for a model who works mostly on headshots when there are other  similar models out there that the phoptographer can work with who have a greater variety, the more sterotypical model height.
What is your USP?
As a model 9 times out of ten unless you are working with specific body parts a models body matters in the photo to some degree, yes there are some stunning portraits out there but the vast majority of model photography tends to show more than just their face, more so on the internet.
This isnt to say you dont have potential, just that you are restricting your boundries somewhat and by not having a full length body shot in your portfolio many photographer will simply move onto a model who may look similar, but shows how they look as a whole.
No, seeing a persons face isnt enough to tell if they have model potential, modeling is about far more than 'looking pretty'

You have a deeply disturbed yet strikingly fascinating thought process; like an accident involving a car full of supermodels, so beautiful and bad you just can't take your eyes off of it

Gerry is off-line
15 October 2013 06:07
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from EthoAprilis
Lets get this straight... Are you both insisting that there are NO jobs in the modeling industry that are for models who are fully clothed? Or there are NO jobs out there that have the face as focal points? I can't think of any ways to sell my height. I'm 5'3 the only way to sell my height is to make a mockery of it by doing shoots where i dress up as an elf or some other character that i feel is degrading. Again i think having full body shots would be helpful if i aim to do a specific genre of modeling. If i aim to have my body even matter in a photo. Hair modeling, cologne ads, eyeglass ads, all of those could use head shots. I can't see a photographer demanding a full body shot from me in order to work with me on a project they'll only be shooting from the shoulders up. I appreciate your feedback, but it doesn't answer the question. The question is "Do you feel i have potential" not how can i broaden my portfolio, or, is my posing up to par, which "adding full length photos" would make sense as an answer. I was always under the impression seeing a picture of a persons face was good enough grounds to say whether or not they had the "potential" to model. If i have no one with a creative eye to take photos of me, i can hardly add said photos to this portfolio lol.

Crikey - we didn't mention nudity so why are you getting defensive? The type of shots such as hair, cologne and eye glass are all pretty much booked through agencies so go and ask them for an opinion - they will almost certainly expect to see you in person or some fuller length shots.

We also didn't suggest for a minute that you should go for some comical role. The huge defensive play you are putting over your height is telling me you need to adjust your thinking else you will get no where if you do manage to hook up with someone willing to give you a chance.

Not being tall is not the end of the world if your body is in proportion - I have shot female models who were fairly short but you wouldn't know that because of their look and posing ability. Modelling has a lot to do with attitude and confidence and not being prepared to show anything below the neck is a huge warning sign for people to stay away.

We cannot answer your question as we have too little information to go on.

If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

15 October 2013 11:17
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Judging by your attitude to those posting entirely reasonable comments I'd say no, you have no potential as I reckon you'd be a nightmare to work with.

In fact even given obvious stuff like not having full length shots, you seem to think you know better so I gather this thread is little more than a "stoke my ego" thread in which you simply wanted to hear how great you are.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Etho Aprilis is off-line
17 October 2013 22:52
EthoAprilis
Model

Pennsylvania
Media

Quote from Harpy_images
Realistically how much work do you think is out there for a model who works mostly on headshots when there are other  similar models out there that the phoptographer can work with who have a greater variety, the more sterotypical model height.

What is your USP?

As a model 9 times out of ten unless you are working with specific body parts a models body matters in the photo to some degree, yes there are some stunning portraits out there but the vast majority of model photography tends to show more than just their face, more so on the internet.

This isnt to say you dont have potential, just that you are restricting your boundries somewhat and by not having a full length body shot in your portfolio many photographer will simply move onto a model who may look similar, but shows how they look as a whole.

No, seeing a persons face isnt enough to tell if they have model potential, modeling is about far more than 'looking pretty'

I agree modeling is more than just a pretty face, but i still think when someone is first starting out and they ask if they have "potential" that looking at their face is the 1st thing to go for. If someone is just plain unattractive to the camera and there is no way they could ever be a model for their face, you can say so. I think people are reading to far into this.

Other people think i have a great body, but i don't feel its in good enough condition to be a focal point in photography, that is something im working on now at the gym. The industry is just plain corrupt if that is a NECESSITY tho. That seems to be the biggest focal point and it's obnoxious. I've seen UGLY models that were models just because they have great bodies. There so many dif types of beauty. Sex sells too much.

As a photographer myself, a persons height and body is not the 1st thing i'm going to look at if i were to chose a model, it would be their face, how photogenic they were and how good they were with posing.

Etho Aprilis is off-line
17 October 2013 23:09
EthoAprilis
Model

Pennsylvania
Media

Quote from Gerry99111
Crikey - we didn't mention nudity so why are you getting defensive? The type of shots such as hair, cologne and eye glass are all pretty much booked through agencies so go and ask them for an opinion - they will almost certainly expect to see you in person or some fuller length shots.

We also didn't suggest for a minute that you should go for some comical role. The huge defensive play you are putting over your height is telling me you need to adjust your thinking else you will get no where if you do manage to hook up with someone willing to give you a chance.

Not being tall is not the end of the world if your body is in proportion - I have shot female models who were fairly short but you wouldn't know that because of their look and posing ability. Modelling has a lot to do with attitude and confidence and not being prepared to show anything below the neck is a huge warning sign for people to stay away.

We cannot answer your question as we have too little information to go on.

I wasn't being defensive, i was merely pointing out that my question was not being answered. Again i did not ask a question where the answer "Put up full length photos" was a helpful answer.

I also never said anything about refusing to do full length shots, i said i cant see a photographer caring about full body shots if they weren't going to be shooting my body in the first place. Please read and understand my words before making accusations and assumptions.

I have also stated i have NEVER worked with a photographer before, the only full length shots i have are ones of me at bars with friends, this isnt facebook, i'm not going to upload a picture with no artistic quality.

People do TFP, which means if someone finds my face appealing and they aren't concerned with selling my body they may wanna do a shoot with me for mutual portfolio benefits.

THEN once i had an actual photo shoot i could post those pictures in my portfolio and THEN i could ask... Hows my posing? Am i making myself look tall? Do i look natural or tense? I didn't ask for a portfolio critique or how to make my portfolio better, i asked a very simple question that no one had answered. Which i don't care what anyone says, you can look at a picture of someones face and tell whether or not they have POTENTIAL. That is the key word. Not "am i a good model" Just simply do i have potential.

I've had plenty of people tell me i could, so i wanted the opinion of people who were actually in or somewhat in the bushiness.

Also i ever said i had an issue with my height. I merely said i don't feel its a necessity to list, and that i dont see any jobs to use my height to my advantage that are positive.

13 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Frankirae LunaAllOrNothing Michael1991 PaigeAntonia
FirstLifePhotography Fluffypup iestyn mpresseve Njsphotography Puremoods redtail viewphotographic zprangz