This thread is being watched by 2 people
Pete Whelan is off-line
02 October 2013 04:38
vipimages
Photographer
vipimages
Merseyside
Wirral

any recommendations  for alternative search engines? 

I've really been losing patience with google "steering" me the way it thinks I want to go rather than letting me find what I'm looking for

www.vipimages.co.uk www.vipstudios.co.uk

02 October 2013 05:59
ATVLONDON
Photographer

Yes I'm using DuckDuckGo. Have a look at their website, it's as good as Google without all the intrusions. I found it after reading an article on The Guardian website. Not that I'm a fan of The Guardian, just found the article interesting. Give it a go I think you'll like it.  As Matt mentioned, I too, found Google + complicated.  Trying to find the right settings and user preferences was a frickin' nightmare.  Also I was used to using Google Maps but now I found a better alternative and they are illustrated like Ordnance Survey Maps. http://here.com/
My doctor told me I've only got 6 months to live. Then I told him I couldn't pay him... so he gave me another 6 months.

Pete Whelan is off-line
02 October 2013 06:20
vipimages
Photographer
vipimages
Merseyside
Wirral

is DuckDuckGo a stand alone browser or a plug in for chrome?

02 October 2013 06:37
ATVLONDON
Photographer

No it's not a browser it's a search engine. Just go here https://duckduckgo.com/ and the search box awaits your input. You can integrate it into your existing browser if you want to but I just use it as my home page as I did with "gaggle"
My doctor told me I've only got 6 months to live. Then I told him I couldn't pay him... so he gave me another 6 months.

digineil is off-line
02 October 2013 08:18
digineil
Photographer
digineil
Staffordshire

Quote from vipimages
is DuckDuckGo a stand alone browser or a plug in for chrome?

Chrome is Google so if you use it you are leaving yourself wide open to the  Google nasties.

Pete Whelan is off-line
02 October 2013 08:20
vipimages
Photographer
vipimages
Merseyside
Wirral

If you use it inside google, doesn't google still track you??

I just had a look and my recent brwwsing history is still recorded

digineil is off-line
02 October 2013 08:25
digineil
Photographer
digineil
Staffordshire

It's actually almost impossible at the moment to use the internet without Google trying to spy on you.    There are ways of limiting the tracking though.

02 October 2013 08:35
ATVLONDON
Photographer

I thought Google could only track you if you were logged in?  I was constantly logged into Google+ so everytime I did a search for something it was following me.  The thing that really ATVLONDON is a naughty person ed me off was wanting to place a comment on You Tube and them not letting me until I'd updated my settings to how they wanted them.  I still have a You Tube account that I set up in 2006 so have gone back to using that and I use my Hotmail account to log into that.  So far there have been no pestering pop ups.

Pete Whelan is off-line
02 October 2013 10:18
vipimages
Photographer
vipimages
Merseyside
Wirral

I found these links interesting and scary at the same time

http://donttrack.us/

http://dontbubble.us/

I didn't realise how bad it actually is

CSD Images is off-line
02 October 2013 13:52
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

Here's something that people don't realise. Each computer system and person have a unique 'signature' you can build a profile of a person fairly easily and to a degree it's accurate enough to build a tangible profile without that person having any engagement with the service like giving sensitive information.

Consider this you visit 5 sites, you buy an item, you research that item on four other sites. You have left a data trail for the advertising analytics. Google can get this information and compile it through their mail servers if you use Gmail, as they scan those e-mails for keywords. Combine all this you have left a data trail bigger than the Mississippi. Further stil if you use your Fb (which also has a shed load of analytics built off your likes, comments, posts and profile) then Google can scrape your profile for details if it's public (or any other website/profile you may have). You can see why people are clamouring for privacy especially in light of the NSA leaks.

What people don't realise it's too late, the horse has bolted. If you're on the web you can be tracked regardless if you use DarkNets, VPNs or anything else to try and obscure your behaviour as numerous research papers have shown. Google has 15 years to build profiles of targets and metrics. They want to make that data even more valuable by converting that data into actual people. By using G+ and attendant services you have just done that. Fb does this all the time. However you do have a choice, and it's usually against the services terms and conditions, it's called data poisoning. You make minor changes to your identity. Do it enough times then it becomes harder to build a valid profile that's saleable. It's also good practice to prevent Identity Theft if a profile or service is compromised. People are willing to sell their details for free services and has been proven time and time again. Facebook, Twitter, Google, Bebo, MySpace and any company that makes from advertising or social engines all make their money from selling your data. There are a few exceptions Apple and Microsoft because they now both have Devices and Services to make their money from. Out of all the consumer tech companies they are probably the safest to work with. I say safe in a very loose sense, but unlike Google and the rest they do have a vested interest in providing a modicum of privacy to it's users.

Of course another choice is to drop off the grid altogether but this gets harder and harder to do every year.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
dbturner Jo80 Littlemiss01 Looby88 Winterlilly
AndyGStudios antoinewynn carshaltonkev dby47 diphoto dirkus dorrian George99 grahamr john_at_tina_spice JohnDentonPhoto Kjoservices Ladiesman Omalley panda49 Rob77 scottmcccxiv Sp_digital Spiritofwales stevegosh Steveh32 Thunder_Photos